• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your reactions from the initial trailer to the Captivate trailer

What aspects pf the old DMC games kept you interested?

• The combat

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • The plot

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Dante ;)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Virgil ;*

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • ALL FOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

somekidfromthe90's

I'm really interested in other people's feelings about the game and how it changed (or didn't). Personally, i was never the crazy hardcore fan; i was very casual like i played once but never had the drive to play through a second time(idk why it was probably because i never got into the plot). So when i checked out the the initial trailer i wasn't devastated...to be honest i actually liked the edgier "i'm gonna F*@#KING KILL YOU" feel to it. Ever since then i was a optimistic supporter of DmC. What about you guys?

Azurel

At first, I was expecting the worst when I first heard about the trailer. Then I saw it, and thought, "Hey this isn't that bad." At the time, I was just so grateful for a new entry that I didn't care what it looked like. The psychological aspect of it intrigued me as well. Then I saw the E3 gameplay trailer and thought, "Uh-oh, looks like the haters were right. It's all choppy." But then a second gameplay trailer came out and it was much smoother than the E3 one. I liked it. The trailer after that one had colorful backgrounds, which was funny because I was complaining that the previous trailers didn't have enough color and variety to them.

Then, the big one came out. I was amazed, but then realized they somewhat copied the old DMC3 Dante, just without the cheesy lines, which was good. I liked the absence of said lines, but not the fact that Dante got dressed in slo-mo, then posed with the sword over his shoulder, which was an obvious reference to the DMC3 box art.

Hopefully, there will be some seriousness there, and that cheesy lines will not make it into the final cut. All I'm hoping for is a good story, good platforming, and good combat. I think Ninja Theory can deliver. They've been improving a lot so far, so let's hope that they can at least make an above average game.

Vezild

Taking Back Lordran One Boss At a Time
I liked the absence of said lines, but not the fact that Dante got dressed in slo-mo, then posed with the sword over his shoulder, which was an obvious reference to the DMC3 box art.
I'd like to point out that this pose is the generic guy-with-sword pose. If that's an obvious reference, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, and even Devil May Cry 4 is referencing the box-art.
I'm not attacking you, I'm just trying to put some clarity into that.

Now, my initial reaction was... "WHAT IS THIS CRAP!? THIS ISN'T DANTE!!! THIS IS SOME WEIRDO WHO THINKS HE'S DANTE!" and then it turned into... "Okay...maybe this is Dante before DMC 3?" and then "This isn't bad at all." to finally "Let's see what Ninja Theory can do."

I'm starting to like how this game is going more than the entire original series, and I LOVE Devil May Cry. If they can balance Dante's...behavior with some morality or seriousness and the game is actually challenging, then I would be in love with this game. Oh, and the game has to be at least twenty hours long, or else I'll be crying foul.

Really, I sometimes wish they kept his behavior like the one from the TGS trailer, but oh well...funny Dante FTW.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
I loved everything about DMC 1 2 3 and 4....that is all im saying...
Like I said I was interested in the first trailer they had released...but the more they released the more facepalming happened...Its like the game is trying to be something its not...we already have a DMC 3...so I don't know why people are talking crap about DMC 3 if this game is literally trying to copy it....IDK....

somekidfromthe90's

I loved everything about DMC 1 2 3 and 4....that is all im saying...
Like I said I was interested in the first trailer they had released...but the more they released the more facepalming happened...Its like the game is trying to be something its not...we already have a DMC 3...so I don't know why people are talking crap about DMC 3 if this game is literally trying to copy it....IDK....
well wouldn't it make sense that their trying to lure in the fans that love DMC 3 by showing some influence from it? Like their trying to pacify the fans since (let's be honest) most people were SCREAMING AND BEGGING for NT not to "screw up" Dante's persona. Now that you have it, it's kinda like that "be careful what you wish for" moments. I'm not referring to you btw :)

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
No its because they had that I don't care attitude and mocking the past games how they were not cool and how OG Dante is not cool anymore and how the game is going to be more serious and dark and how it was going to be better than all the other DMC's and then they go back and change everything they had said and try to make it like DMC 3...after mocking it and saying that it is not cool anymore....they don't know what to do....

somekidfromthe90's

well they never said that this game is going "to be better than all the other DMC's" that's more of an inference than a fact don't you think :\

And to be objective there were SOME aspects of the old DMC's that showed they weren't keeping up with the times. One being the "huge sword" concept. It started with Final Fantasy and was prevalent in most games the 90's but near the early 2000's that trend declined now we have normal sized swords to large swords but little to no "huge" body dwarfing swords.
And to be fair the old DMC's wanted to give off a serious and dark atmosphere but they could never achieve that affect because the dialogue would not carry that thought along(excapt the first game) the others more or less abandoned the dark mood dialogue for the "over the top giddy guy" dialogue which did not compliment what they were trying to achieve.
edit: @ Awake

Jane Sweetbee

well they never said that this game is going "to be better than all the other DMC's" that's more of an inference than a fact don't you think :\

And to be objective there were SOME aspects of the old DMC's that showed they weren't keeping up with the times. One being the "huge sword" concept. It started with Final Fantasy and was prevalent in most games the 90's but near the early 2000's that trend declined now we have normal sized swords to large swords but little to no "huge" body dwarfing swords.
And to be fair the old DMC's wanted to give off a serious and dark atmosphere but they could never achieve that affect because the dialogue would not carry that thought along(excapt the first game) the others more or less abandoned the dark mood dialogue for the "over the top giddy guy" dialogue which did not compliment what they were trying to achieve.

Dante holding a big sword is outdated and seems weird nowadays. Besides, the character development seems to appeal to underaged kidos.

Jane Sweetbee

why do you think so... and please what's your "inital to Captivate" story?

2010TGS: Wowww, you are Dante!? so unique! Hidden history!
2011E3: PS2 game?
2011TGS: It has been fixed. looks improved!
2012Captivate: so cool! ......(watched for 2nd time)....why there is a bra and why he is nude?.....is he a who*e? why replaced 2010 Dante with this who*e?

2012 Dante looks nicer physically, but gets a shallower personality. 2010 Dante is absolutely better in terms of his personality and all other traits.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag

What in the world are you talking about...big swords are awesome....Hell what made it more awesome is that Dante had one and was able to carry it with one hand....with no effort at all....so if it wasn't keeping up with the times...why is Dante being over used in a bunch of crossover games and part 3 and 4 being a top seller....and why do you think there is still a big commotion and want for a DMC 5....

Jane Sweetbee

well yeah that's my paragraph in a nutshell lol

2010 Dante doesn't carry a big sword and he is mentally unstable - the plot is mature and his personality fits well with his background; then Capcom knocked off NT's initial design and replaced it with a DMC3 clone. now we probably get a who*e with shallow language and attitude and also carries an outdated sword behind the back :D even sword-slashing is outdated, sorry to be frank.

somekidfromthe90's

What in the world are you talking about...big swords are awesome....Hell what made it more awesome is that Dante had one and was able to carry it with one hand....with no effort at all....so if it wasn't keeping up with the times...why is Dante being over used in a bunch of crossover games and part 3 and 4 being a top seller....and why do you think there is still a big commotion and want for a DMC 5....
hey hey i'm just reading the trends man i like big swords as much as the next guy. Well yeah 3 and 4 were best sellers but look at the HD collection; it did not fair well. And for the most part all i hear..err read about why they want a DMC 5 is to over all the GAPING plot holes. And of course he's gonna be in crossover games that's the whole point of crossovers.

somekidfromthe90's

2010 Dante doesn't carry a big sword and he is mentally unstable - the plot is mature and his personality fits well with his background; then Capcom knocked off NT's initial design and replaced it with DMC3 clone. now we probably get a who*e with shallow language and attitude and also carries an outdated sword behind the back :D even sword-slashing is outdated, sorry.
we'll just have to wait and see if he does turn out to be a "who*e with shallow language and attitude" or a (my hope) well balanced persona that knows when to be serious and when not to be.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
Didn't they say over and over again that Dante would still be a smartass with a sense of humor? Because that's what fans wanted from his character.

Even now, people say both that DmC Dante is nothing like OG Dante AND that he's too much like OG Dante; with the idea that NT decided to change his character due to negative response. They finished the scripting and cutscenes for this game almost a year ago. The footage we see in the cutscenes (along with the footage we have yet to see) was wrapped up long before we heard an actual line from Dante*.

So we can't assume that NT decided to change him all of a sudden. They're just keeping their word.

*"My name is Dante" doesn't count. He also sounds nothing like he does now.

Top Bottom