• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Your Impressions of Dante throughout the game?

Exejpgwmv

For me:
Mission 1-2 I liked him but not much else. He just seemed like a more vulgar and cynical version of DMC3 Dante. But instead of a nipple belt he wears a tank top.
Mission 5 Started to understand his attitude when first meeting Kat and Vergil.
Mission 8-10 Didn't like how he treated Phineas at first but I think seeing how he viewed demons change was a good touch.
Mission 12 Liked how Dante showed some mental weaknesses and physical limitations.
Mission 13-15 Started to like him a lot since he really showed he was willing to put aside his want for revenge to save a comrade.
Mission 20 Liked how they showed him acting like an adult and taking responsibility for his actions.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Mission 1--biggest asshole on the pier
Mission 2--kind of felt bad for the guy, but not enough to like him.
Mission 3-6-- bearable (the F you battle was juvenile on the demon's part)
Mission 7-12-- was actually warming up on him.
Mission 13-20--Actually began to like the guy.

I feel bad that people say he was just an asshole the entire game. Shows how much they really don't know a damn thing about actual character growth whether good or bad. But I expect nothing less from those who've had DMC3 up their ass for years.

My example of said fan should be arriving here soon.

Snarks

Starts off kind of terrible as you would expect, gets better throughout the game but isn't really anything outstanding. Relationship with Kat was predictable and sort of heavy-handed, but served his motivation in the ending well enough, I guess.

The "**** YOU" exchange was already such a notorious part of the game, but it was really the only acceptable response to the Succubus. Absolutely everything that boss said was thoroughly gross and unnecessary, and it's probably the most embarrassing part of the game.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
Yeah, just like you guys, I was also initially overwhelmed by Dante's attitude. As I progressed through the game though, it was already obvious he was growing up and I eventually began to like him as a character. This is why this is my favorite DmC; Dante's transformation from a cocky dimwit to a less cocky dimwit was far more apparent than the one we saw in DMC3.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I feel bad that people say he was just an asshole the entire game. Shows how much they really don't know a damn thing about actual character growth whether good or bad.

Especially when the argument is simply "he's such a jerk", without acknowledging the fact that any character development worth a damn happens when the character starts in a place where he is as rough as Dante was.

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
Especially when the argument is simply "he's such a jerk", without acknowledging the fact that any character development worth a damn happens when the character starts in a place where he is as rough as Dante was.

Even sadder that despite people saying Dante's such a jerk in DmC, no one bothers to realize that Dante in DMC3 wasn't exactly a boy scout. Behind those one liners he was as big of a jerk and a showoff as new Dante.

The only difference was that in DMC3, Dante's growth was sloppier then DmC.

Teal

Even sadder that despite people saying Dante's such a jerk in DmC, no one bothers to realize that Dante in DMC3 wasn't exactly a boy scout. Behind those one liners he was as big of a jerk and a showoff as new Dante.

What's even more rage-inducing is the fact that they compare New Dante to Travis Touchdown, as in 'New Dante is a showoff who tries too hard to be cool' while they totally ignore the fact that DMC3 and DMC4 Dante aren't naturally edgy either. You can see especially in DMC3 that Dante's quarterback voice, his 'woo-hoo' lines and how he can never go through a cutscene without throwing a cheesy quip at somebody clearly tell the developers tried too hard to make him a stylish badass. That's less apparent in the first DMC, though.

I think that the sole reason the reboot has generated controversy is for the language and Dante's new design. Those 'flaws' would only be made up later, so that they could look less like fanwankers.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I didn‘t like him at first but i grew to like him over the game and would like to see him in a sequel but i would like DMC5 way more. I would love if the classic and reboot could co exist giving sequels for both. I do miss the ott flashy cutscenes they had for dante in DMC3 and DMC4 showing his speed agility and skills and cool moves etc , they were missing that in DmC.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Initially, I liked him, but I thought he was pretty rough and raw; at a really bad point in his life, and I wondered how he'd change as the game went on. It wouldn't be much of a game if the hero didn't go on a journey to challenge his beliefs about himself and the world, and come out of it changed in some way.

The further into the game, the more I liked how his character changed and evolved as he faced new situations, learned about himself and interacted with other characters. He's actually pretty multifaceted and subtle at times, and I like that in a character.
It was nice to see him open up and begin to trust after his rough childhood; and by the end of the game, I liked how he had stepped up to the challenge, gown up and taken responsibility for mankind. That's the kind of hero I can root for, one that is imperfect, and finds a reason to fight even when the whole world is against him.

Yet at the end, there's still this uncertainty in him about what he really is after he snapped and went for Vergil in that violent way. I like that kind of uncertainty; it makes him realistic in comparison to heroes who shrug off their problems and carry on like they're invincible.

Railazel

Dante's transformation from a cocky dimwit to a less cocky dimwit was far more apparent than the one we saw in DMC3.

Actually, I would have to disagree. DMC 3's character growth was pretty good. Dante was constantly cocky, sure, but that wasn't a fault on his part. It was the fact that he went into Temen- ni- Gru with no real incentive other than he just wanted to. He failed to see the greater purpose in re- sealing the tower and stopping his brother but he found that out through his encounters with Lady and his battles against Vergil. There's also the fact that, seemingly, he never really understood his father and held a resentment towards him. By the time he fought Vergil for the last time, he had a greater purpose for doing it and a new pride in his demon heritage.

On that note, DmC's wasn't too bad either. I, for one, didn't like the ending because I felt like his sudden identity confusion ruined the point of his entire growth. However, it was really well done. I see the point of character growth being that both the character and the audience becomes increasingly enlightened and that's exactly what happened. I enjoyed learning about the lore of DmC and seeing Dante change accordingly. As for Dante himself, I don't like how his character was executed. If NT focused more on making him his own character or just very similar to DMC 3 Dante as opposed to some weird mix of both, I would've appreciated him more.

Tables

...chairs?
When i 1st started playing i didn't like him at all but after i finished the game i felt... meh. Just that, nothing else.

I don't like him nor do i hate him. Just one of those people i wouldn't want to get involved with, i'd ignore him.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Again, my opinion of new Dante varies from the perspective I look at him from.

As a new character? he's alright. Actually pretty witty at times

As a replacement for the laid-back, happy-go-lucky, one-liner making badass who denied the very purpose of his race to become a hero, that I grew up with? I hate him, I hate him with every gaming fiber of my living being, and I hope that they make him into a "Zilla" type character in DMC5. Something that people claimed was the son of Sparda, until he faces the actual son of Sparda, and gets his ass handed to him.

I don't think I used enough hyperbole

Last edited:

Exejpgwmv

Again, my opinion of new Dante varies from the perspective I look at him from.

As a new character? he's alright. Actually pretty witty at times

As a replacement for the laid-back, happy-go-lucky, one-liner making badass who denied the very purpose of his race to become a hero, that I grew up with? I hate him, I hate him with every gaming fiber of my living being, and I hope that they make him into a "Zilla" type character in DMC5. Something that people claimed was the son of Sparda, until he faces the actual son of Sparda, and gets his ass handed to him.

I don't think I used enough hyperbole
I don't really see the point of the second perspective since Capcom has come out and said that new Dante was not intended to be a replacement and that regardless of how good DmC does, the original series would continue.

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
They actually said that? Boy, I am really psyched to see how they're going to cover the plot holes they've created!
Actually, it won't be that complicated. DmC has been stated to be as much of spin-off/alternate reality as it is a reboot.
They even brought up Megaman as a comparison; since there is a main timeline (Original-X-Zero-ZX) and spin offs with separate continuities (Mega Man Battle Network). Another example would be Marvel's "Ultimate" Comic line.

Admittedly, Capcom PR was wishy washy on the subject since the start. Would have been easier if they just said Spin-Off right off the bat and stuck with it.

Teal

You got me wrong. I am just saying that the original franchise has really hit a dead end, story-wise. They have a few things to explain, some would even require retcons.

DantesLink

Premium
Supporter 2014
You got me wrong. I am just saying that the original franchise has really hit a dead end, story-wise. They have a few things to explain, some would even require retcons.
Whoops, sorry about that. Read it in the wrong context. :)

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."

I don't see where else they could go with it honestly. Nero is already the biggest asspull of the entire series and I doubt they could somehow justify him being related to Sparda without connecting him to Vergil, which even then wouldn't make an sense what so ever. They already proved that they can't write nor even design an interesting game with the release of DMC4. Should they choose to go and make another one...I can only really help for the best.

And this is coming from someone who's been a fan of the series since DMC1.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
beginning: this guy is an asshole who's gonna get into this kitty's pants and become a changed man at the end of the game. typical character story arc

end: this guy isn't such an asshole. he didn't even manipulate kat or go behind vergil's back to spite him even though vergil is a bit of an asshole. this guy is pretty cool.

Top Bottom