• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Yamato's cutting power

Viper

Premium
Just a random thought to give you something else besides tumbleweed rolling by...

Yamato has been described as a sword that can cut through anything, but what if the level of that cutting power depended on the power of it's wielder?

Vergil and Nero we've seen cut down persons, creatures and an occasional wall in their near, but Dante, who is, from what we could see, the strongest of all three, has actually quite casually cut down a huge structure far away.

We don't know how Sparda handled it, no reliable data on the matter.

Granted, for a good comparison all participants in the experiment should try to cut the same thing under same conditions, but even this is good for giving it some thought when you are bored.

I gather if a human tried to use Yamato, for them it would be just another ordinary sword.

Okay, knock yourself out, I got things to do...:D

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Just a random thought to give you something else besides tumbleweed rolling by...

Yamato has been described as a sword that can cut through anything, but what if the level of that cutting power depended on the power of it's wielder?

Vergil and Nero we've seen cut down persons, creatures and an occasional wall in their near, but Dante, who is, from what we could see, the strongest of all three, has actually quite casually cut down a huge structure far away.

We don't know how Sparda handled it, no reliable data on the matter.

Granted, for a good comparison all participants in the experiment should try to cut the same thing under same conditions, but even this is good for giving it some thought when you are bored.

I gather if a human tried to use Yamato, for them it would be just another ordinary sword.

Okay, knock yourself out, I got things to do...:D
sparda used the yamato to cut an entire dimension in half, I think it's safe to say the cutting power has quite a bit to do with its wielder

Absent Nova

Phantom Thief
sparda used the yamato to cut an entire dimension in half, I think it's safe to say the cutting power has quite a bit to do with its wielder
And here I was hoping I could slice the biggest building in my city in half from house. Dissapointing.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I don't think it works that way. These weapons are not charged by the wielder like some kind of battery in which the stronger the power source the higher the output. These weapons have wills of their own and they react as such. It's not a better weapon in Dante's hands because he's more powerful but because he is more skilled, no different than any other sword.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
did nero ever used yamato without DT. i mean vergil's spirit handled it.
he swings it around in cutscenes, but I really would have liked to actually use it in game. Regular swing just swings the sword, exceed sheathes the sword and readies a vergil style quickdraw. A lot of nero's max-act abilities have similar hitboxes to vergil attacks, so it wouldn't have been a huge stretch

Viper

Premium
I don't think it works that way. These weapons are not charged by the wielder like some kind of battery in which the stronger the power source the higher the output. These weapons have wills of their own and they react as such. It's not a better weapon in Dante's hands because he's more powerful but because he is more skilled, no different than any other sword.

I didn't even think they were charged like battery, imagine the hilarity of having to wait in battle till it's full. I meant more power kinda unlocks the higher cutting level as stronger hands can handle more force released.

Yamato is just said to be sword that cuts through anything, I was toying with the idea that not anyone can just swing it around and whoosh there goes the building, their body and mind do have to be on a more experienced and stronger level to ummm... force the force of the sword to a target and in enough power to do appropriate damage. (I'm sorry, hope this line makes sense)

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yamato is just said to be sword that cuts through anything, I was toying with the idea that not anyone can just swing it around and whoosh there goes the building, their body and mind do have to be on a more experienced and stronger level to ummm... force the force of the sword to a target and in enough power to do appropriate damage. (I'm sorry, hope this line makes sense)
I guess I didn't make it clear when I said they were living.

What I was implying was that because they are living they are in some abstract way sentient. They are the swords of Sparta and they do not yield to just anyone. In the hands of Vergil it is a demon blade, in the hands of some random passerby or a demon it is a hunk of metal.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Besides the fact that the best swordsman of the three you mentioned is Vergil (and the best skilled with Yamato, if we don't count Sparda), I sincerely don't think Yamato's feature to cut through things depends on the wielder's power. Yamato can cut through anything on its own, it's a feature of the blade itself. The possibility is there, then the wielder just has to know how to exploit it. It's more of a matter of knowledge rather than power, so to speak.

Last edited:

sylvanas

One Hell of a Member
Yamato's power doesn't depend on the wielder entirely. Since Yamato is a living weapon, it has a power of it's own. With this power, it will try to find a wielder that is worthy. As seen in DMC4, when Nero was impaled in the underground lab, Yamato actually floated towards him after being joined. So this could possibly mean that Yamato actually chooses its owner based on strength.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Yamato's power doesn't depend on the wielder entirely. Since Yamato is a living weapon, it has a power of it's own. With this power, it will try to find a wielder that is worthy. As seen in DMC4, when Nero was impaled in the underground lab, Yamato actually floated towards him after being joined. So this could possibly mean that Yamato actually chooses its owner based on strength.

Actually, Yamato most likely floated to his hand "attracted" by the blood of Sparda awakened by Nero's Devil Trigger.

sylvanas

One Hell of a Member
Actually, Yamato most likely floated to his hand "attracted" by the blood of Sparda awakened by Nero's Devil Trigger.
But then, it could be likely that Nero was the only strong one in the room at the time, after all he did beat Agnus's tush...

Top Bottom