• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Xbox One: Pre-owned games (OXMUK)

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
Report: Microsoft and publishers will automatically get a cut of Xbox One pre-owned sales

Retailers may be required to "integrate" with cloud before they can do trade-ins

Retail sources have told MCV that Microsoft and the associated publisher will receive a cut of every pre-owned Xbox One game purchase, and that this is one of the reasons you'll need to connect the console to the internet every 24 hours.
According to the report, only retailers who have agreed to Microsoft's terms and conditions will be able to accept Xbox One trade-ins, and they'll need to "integrate" their networks with Microsoft's cloud-based Azure pre-owned system.

The idea, apparently, is that when you take a game back to the shop it'll register as having been traded-in on Microsoft's system. Your installation will subsequently be erased from your Xbox One hard drive, which is why the system needs to connect to the internet every 24 hours.

The retailer can then sell the game on as usual, but the publisher and Microsoft will receive a percentage cut of the sale. There's a report from ConsoleDeals.co.uk which claims the retailer's slice will be as little as 10 per cent.
A number of retailers have expressed a willingness to consider sharing pre-owned revenues with publishers in the past. It's a controversial business practice - creators argue that retail has effectively carved out a self-sustaining commercial ecosystem, that doesn't return them a penny despite being dependent on their work. Retailers argue that people should be able to sell things once they've bought them.
Microsoft still isn't commenting on the specifics of its plan for "enabling" trade-ins on Xbox One. "We know there is some confusion around used games on Xbox One and wanted to provide a bit of clarification on exactly what we've confirmed," reads a statement.
"While there have been many potential scenarios discussed, we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail," it continues

"Beyond that, we have not confirmed any specific scenarios. Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend's house - should you choose to play your game at your friend's house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile."

What boggles my mind is the 6th comment down (go through source link to see comment).
So, if you don't play a game online every 24 hours, it will automatically uninstalled from your Xbox One...

SOURCE: http://www.oxm.co.uk/54722/report-m...ically-get-a-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales/

IncarnatedDemon

This video is so awesome to express how fail Microsoft is being with Xbox. At least from my perspective where i don't want to bloody discuss "Ok will i have that or that?" no I DEMAND IT!
And if you dont got what i need, simple, i dont consider buying from you.
Not like Xbox One has alot of innovations compared to PS4. Even though i dont upload much, i think PS4's share button will spread like a wild fire.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
The Xbox One is Microsoft's suicide attempt. It's quite fascinating actually. How could they do something so terrible? Seeing people defend the One makes my brain hurt because you just can't.

Anyone who drops money on the Xbox One probably shouldn't have financial independence.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
"Yo! We forgot to bring games to a console reveal but we have 15 in development! Can you contain yourselves for:

Gears of Halo, Halo Party, Halo x Gears, Master Chief's Wild Ride, Cooking Mama Kinect:Halo, Call of Duty 18, YOU'RE GETTING A F*CKING KINECT: One, Super Master Chief, Super Halo Galaxy, Halo 5, Halo 6, Halo 6.5 Kinect, MORE TERRIBLE SHOOTERS; Kinect edition.

XBOX ONE! BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT. GAME STEALING BASTARDS!"

Oh I almost forgot to add "FOOTBALL!"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
As everything about the console itself just seems absolutely awful I'm not holding my breath for what "new" games they have to show off at E3. I hope you crash and burn Xbox.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Sad to say, but I think this could be the end for xbox. They've really screwed this up. Not everyone can afford to pay full price for a game.

And what if someone is unsure about buying a game at full price for keeps? What will happen to game rental and game rental shops?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Sad to say, but I think this could be the end for xbox. They've really screwed this up. Not everyone can afford to pay full price for a game.

And what if someone is unsure about buying a game at full price for keeps? What will happen to game rental and game rental shops?
No business with Xbox that's for sure.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
the concept of developers getting a cut of used game sales is good but the method the Xbox One uses to make that happen seems likely to cause problems.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
the concept of developers getting a cut of used game sales is good but the method the Xbox One uses to make that happen seems likely to cause problems.
Fair enough, they made the game, and someone buying preowned copy does make them lose the money they could have gotten for a full sale, but like you say, charging for used games this way does seem likely to be unpopular.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I cant see half of these so called facts being true, I mean a game being removed from your system if you dont play online for 24 hours is a ridiculous idea. I cant see that being enforced by any company, Microsoft have been naive by only announcing features & not explaining them fully as they havent nailed down the full details yet with other parties involved (developers/retailers). Like an excited child speaking too soon & not waiting until everything is fully confirmed & they have worked out exactly how they are going to do some of those things.

Dark Drakan

Admin
True because they way it sounds, they'll be getting a return, not once, not twice, but as many times as that ONE game is turned in.
If SkyrimB returned by Zim, then they get a percentage of the return.
SkyrimB is then resold & bought as used by Dim, they get an activation fee.
Each time that ONE game SkyrimB is traded in they get paid.
Each time it's bought they get paid from it's activation.
Now just think about every game getting traded & repeatedly bought, then repeatedly activated.
Alot of money to be gained.
If it's like this then why would microsoft care how powerful their system is when they sit back & gain from the repeated returns & activations.

Microsoft may get a percentage but I would think the publishers themselves would benefit from the fee mainly.

Top Bottom