• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Xbox One Launches In Japan...

The Final Offer

http://kotaku.com/japans-xbox-one-launch-as-sad-as-youd-expect-1630411606

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/xbox-one-console-has-dismal-730097

You know when someone falls in public and they hit the pavement so hard you say "OOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo are you okay?"

Yeah, this is one of them moments for me.

Now it's hilarious.

I feel like some type of justice being dealt here. I wanna say it's revenge, but I didn't ask for this nor did I actually even think about this. I guess that's for f***ing us out of our money with the 360.

Last edited:

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
this sucks. i mean...it's very funny...but damn. NOBODY was in line. i'm a sony guy...but i would like to see all types of gaming consoles do good. but this is just depressing.
i do get a certain kick out of it tho. i had to buy THREE FRIKIN 360's in the course of two years because they all red ringed on me.

ToriJ

I'm not sure what they were expecting. Xbox has never done that well in Japan next to the PlayStation. I'm not sure if it's ever been this bad, but I'm honestly not that surprised by the outcome.

The Final Offer

This could stir up a bit of a storm between the Japanese market and the American one. Even though, this is evidently the affects of Microsoft's "just ok" console.

I've had it for a day and I would not return to it. I did not enjoy Dead Rising 3 nor did I enjoy Killer Instinct and I place the blame on the console itself. It's just not what I wanted.

berto

I Saw the Devil
this sucks. i mean...it's very funny...but damn. NOBODY was in line.
This is not a good thing. What keeps all these councils from becoming gaming tyrants is the competition. This is something that's been discussed repeatedly in gaming. The PS3, while not unsuccessful, was not as well received as the 360 because Sony got arrogant with the PS2 and chose power over ease of functionality and access. The same thing just happened to Microsoft with the One, they just came out of an extremely successful council and they didn't think they could go wrong with any of their decisions and went with a sort of master black box over a focused gaming machine. I own a 360 but I also have a PS2, 3, 4, P, and Vita, so I'm on Sony's corner, but even so the importance of competition is visible and without microsoft keeping Sony honest and vice versa who is going to keep Nintendo from world domination?

In a very real way whatever controller is shown the most on TV is the one of the prominent council of that generation. Just watch shows and commercials from the time and the one that appears the most and gets parodied the most was the one that technically had the victory. Atari, NES, SNES, PS1, PS2, 360. While I'm gonna put money of PS4 this time I still don't want XBox to fail.

BLACKSWIPE

"Waiting for one's arrival."
To be honest, it's a bit stupid to assume that the Xbox would have done well in Japan in the first place. Xbox has NEVER done well in their market, as more people purchase Nintendo and Sony consoles. Pc gaming isn't even a thing there either. I'm not defending the Xbox One, but it's ridiculous to assume that there was even a market there for it in the first place. I mean, come on. Console gaming in Japan is at a rapid decline, with more interest being shifted towards mobile and handheld gaming.

On another note, there ACTUALLY were people who bought the One. Look:
http://www.inside-games.jp/imgs/zoom/508693.jpg

The Final Offer

To be honest, it's a bit stupid to assume that the Xbox would have done well in Japan in the first place. Xbox has NEVER done well in their market, as more people purchase Nintendo and Sony consoles. Pc gaming isn't even a thing there either. I'm not defending the Xbox One, but it's ridiculous to assume that there was even a market there for it in the first place. I mean, come on. Console gaming in Japan is at a rapid decline, with more interest being shifted towards mobile and handheld gaming.

On another note, there ACTUALLY were people who bought the One. Look:
http://www.inside-games.jp/imgs/zoom/508693.jpg

Bullcrap. They were pre ordering Destiny!

The Final Offer

Alien: Isolation not coming to Wii U

I guess developers have no love for the Wii-U.
Nintendo should be looking at themselves.

This one Ubisoft won't be releasing more mature titles on Wii U is just a big excuse.

Count Ubisoft among those third-party publishers wary about the Wii U's performance. The studio behind games like Assassin's Creed and the more recent Watch Dogs says that the Wii U audience simply isn't interested in their titles for mature players. As a result, Ubisoft will not be releasing additional mature rated titles on the console after it finishes the Wii U version of Watch Dogs as promised.

Nintendo painted themselves in a corner.

Ah, you see, that's why I made this thread. If there's no Xbox One support in Japan, then how many developers are going to be trying to make games for it? They'll dash their sales if they go exclusive to Xbox One. Then it's the fact that you're not selling anything in your hometown? You kidding me?

This is a huge eye opener to developers. Someone new has to come up to the stand and make something happen.

Nintendo has to bring out a new hardware system as soon as possible and make the Wii U games compatible with it. Because, even with me, the Wii U isn't going to last long outside of Smash Bros.

Dark Drakan

Admin
When a lot of games that are going to sell well are made PS4 exclusive in Japan it doesn't give them any further reason to own an XB1. Microsoft in general have NEVER done well in Japan & that won't ever change but Sony corner the market there with practices like that regularly & dictate terms as they pretty much own that market. They should be glad that Microsoft even bother to release the console there as they make very little profit for doing so. Japan is more a handheld country anyway & they will always buy their own products. Microsoft could launch a console with loads of exclusive Japanese content & games geared towards them but they still wouldn't buy their products over their own. I mean the ad campaign wasn't exactly huge over there, I've seen bigger road signs than those XB1 signs/posters advertising it over there. It's almost like they don't want people to even acknowledge it exists.

Sales are on the up in general so not a big concern & sales for both XB1 & PS4 are increasing at a healthy rate worldwide & plenty of other territories the XB1 is launching in soon too. XB1 won't fail but it might make Microsoft listen more first BEFORE assuming what people want in future & learn from their mistakes & the awful reveal controversies because reputation & trust count for a lot in the industry.

The XB1 still sold over double the 360 numbers at launch in UK so even with all the controversy & falling behind the PS4 sales it still got off to a decent start.

Lots of it is also down to politics & lots of Japanese developers being afraid of upsetting Sony and Nintendo plus cultural differences...

Why Microsoft can't sell Xbox consoles or games in Japan.

Healthy competition is good for everyone, these territories where 1 company can monopolise a particular market isn't good for consumers.​

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Pc gaming isn't even a thing there either

Kinda but with the amount of Otakus and Hikkomoris living in Japan, there is a very high demand for Visual Novels and Eroges, which pretty much dominated their PC gaming industry. A lot of them seems also focus more on modding. Seriously, their are a lot of japanese modders for games such as Fallout and Elder Scrolls Morrowind-Skyrim.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Why did they bother? They know Japan likes their own products and consoles. Besides, do Microsoft have a good grasp of what Japanese consumers want? Doesn't seem like it. For example, xbox wants to do streaming services and digital downloads of some games. Japan just isn't in to that. So that's a fail right off the bat. It's a shame, but I guess that's how it is.

Soon the consoles will be in the sale bin. Same thing happened to the 360.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Why did they bother? They know Japan likes their own products and consoles. Besides, do Microsoft have a good grasp of what Japanese consumers want? Doesn't seem like it. For example, xbox wants to do streaming services and digital downloads of some games. Japan just isn't in to that. So that's a fail right off the bat. It's a shame, but I guess that's how it is.

Soon the consoles will be in the sale bin. Same thing happened to the 360.

They did seem to get a decent amount more JRPGs & studios tied to XB1 & were more commuted to that market than they were with 360. However nothing they do will tempt people to purchase "foreign" tech over their own brands.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Told ya lol.

Anyway it's pretty much like that for almost any western games in japan.
There isn't much love for western titles i guess.

They just dont like Western products or the titles over there and nothing you can do about that. Then with Japanese developers afraid of annoying Sony and Nintendo its not likely many will release games on XB1 either so its a no win situation really. Microsoft know they dropped the ball with 360 support in Japan and its gotten FAR better with XB1 but they still arent interested anyway.

Then with things like the Destiny situation and it not being allowed a release on XB1 in Japan this happens with lots of titles and reason lots of JRPGs never see light of day on Xbox in Japan (though decent amount do appear on Xbox consoles & get released in other countries). Destiny isnt even allowed to be advertised as an Xbox title over here either due to Sonys partnership with Activision so its being marketed as Sony exclusive with no mention of Xbox version allowed anywhere. With the games lineups currently being so limited for both consoles Destiny was the first big multiplatform release and Sony have taken exclusivity for game in Japan/exclusive DLC for a year and all advertising rights for 1 year too. Smart business move by them but strange for a multiformat game to be only allowed to be shown on 1 platform.

Top Bottom