• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Worst moment in DmC: Devil May Cry

Oh, and DragonMaster - I know how you feel about Mission 2 on subsequent playthroughs. It's all fine and dandy from a narrative standpoint, but once you've already got all the neat toys it's a bit wonky. Sorta like Mission 3 (where you get the Angel Glide) where you can easily skip pretty much the entire level via sequence breaking and just using Angel Glide right when the street falls away :p

Easiest way to get that trophy for completing a mission in a short amount of time :3

Mission 2 at least has some enemies in the dream sequences, so its not so bad considering how sweet those dream sequences look, but mission 3's dream sequence is just a glide tutorial, which unfortunately has to be done if the player wants to fight all the enemy waves in that level.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
I think some of the worst parts are:

The plot with Mundus. It was so boring and uninteresting. Mundus and Lilith's characters were utterly dull and i didn't feel threaten by them or any of the bosses. It felt forced even.

The sexual stuff involving Dante. It was trite and juvenile. It wasn't needed and they used T&A to entice players to get it. It didn't help his character and had nothing to do with him personally. Mundus is the one who wanted a child, so why not delve into his sexual acts instead of Dante's. Just dumb.

Vergil's pathetic-ness. His own agenda now is so utterly stupid and embarrassing. He only wants to fight Dante because he believes Dante is stronger then him. While i did prefer his DLC to the main game, his reasoning in the end to go after Dante was so childish and idiotic.

I felt also that they focused too much on Kat and Dante instead of the Twins, but then again, Kat is Dante's way to humanize him. At least Kat isn't annoying as other female characters (Kyrie). But i liked when the Twins interacted with each other.

Total lack of Phineas. WTH!!! Someone who knew Sparda and Eva personally and you only give him a bit of exposition. He really should've had a bigger role.

Not enough insight about Eva and Sparda. How did they meet? Why'd Sparda do the things he did? Why'd Eva get it on with a demon? Why didn't they protect the twins better? Why did Sparda put his own kid in a hellish orphanage yet put his other kid in with a rich family? The relationship between Mundus and Phineas to him. Its like....huh. And also the stupid erasing of his face in every picture. That was annoying.

Nothing explaining where the Angels were and why Eva didn't use any powers and what makes her so damn special. Wow...she has angel wings...so do the Victoria Secret models.

Eva being so insanely annoying and useless. She's pretty much a Disney Princess and a cliche trope (Angels are always females, they have this in TV Tropes). It would've been surprising if Eva was a demon...but can't have that, no no. But my gawd, was her voice insufferable in Vergil's Downfall. I rank it there as bad as Lucia's VA in DMC 2. At least Lucia had an accent, whatever the hell it was from, but Eva's voice and her character...ugh. I expected better from the people who made Nariko (a really good female character). I was really disappointed in Eva's depiction.

Missions i hated were the ones in that furnace place with the fire (wow the level design was pretty bad and that fire crap especially in Hell and Hell mode was really annoying) and the puzzle mission and the mission with the Mundus fight. Vergil fight was also a bit dull, cheap and gimmicky a bit. In Vergil's Downfall the last mission was disappointing. Also Vergil's DLC was too short, but hey its a DLC so i didn't expect it to last long, but still...

Another thing i disliked about DmC, not enough replay value. I mean DMC 3 SE felt like some kind of epic ultimate collection of the game. DmC felt barebones with alot of the costume being DLC and all the weapon skins as well. No behind the scene videos...just nothing. Sure i really loved the art. But i wanted to see the mo-cap session or interviews. But...*sigh*

The storyline was too modern and dull, not supernatural enough. Not enough gothic places either, actually there were no gothic places...big disappointment. Some of the levels were really bland about halfway through the game. DMC1 is still king of environmental design as it stands.

Not enough weapons. Wow they really needed some more weapons in this game badly.

Dante's DT and Vergil's DT not looking demonic. I find Dante's DT ability cheap and Vergil's DT ability practically useless.

You find vergil's DT useless? Okay, thats a first. Doppelganger is immensely useful for doing combos and massive damage, but yeah, seems like you just hated everything.

And which Eva are you talking about the real Eva, the one that fought off the demon horde by herself so Sparda could hide her children or the EVA in downfall that is a manifestation of Vergil's mind, which is not the real Eva, because I don't see how anyone could say that a woman distracting the demon lord to save her children is some sort of helpless female trope.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
You find vergil's DT useless? Okay, thats a first. Doppelganger is immensely useful for doing combos and massive damage, but yeah, seems like you just hated everything.

And which Eva are you talking about the real Eva, that fought off the demon horde by herself so Sparda could hide her children or the EVA in downfall that is a manifestation of Vergil's mind, not the real Eva. I hardly would call distracting the demon's to save her children some sort of helpless female trope.

I don't hate everything, but this isn't a thread about what you liked about DmC, its about whats the worst moment, and i find Vergil's DT useless. I rely more on his phantom swords (i'm not calling that ability Sword Illusion, that's stupid). Its fine if you find it great, i didn't even like using Doppleganger in DMC 3. Just like how some Pros prefer Royal Guard i prefer Trickster.

Both Eva's. They didn't show what was so special about her. I mean Original Eva protected her kids as well and she was human, this Eva was an angel and they didn't show what made her more special then the original Eva...yet she's an Angel for some reason. It made no sense. They might as well just made her human and that's it, the outcome would've been the same.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Eva being so insanely annoying and useless. She's pretty much a Disney Princess and a cliche trope (Angels are always females, they have this in TV Tropes). It would've been surprising if Eva was a demon...but can't have that, no no. But my gawd, was her voice insufferable in Vergil's Downfall. I rank it there as bad as Lucia's VA in DMC 2. At least Lucia had an accent, whatever the hell it was from, but Eva's voice and her character...ugh. I expected better from the people who made Nariko (a really good female character). I was really disappointed in Eva's depiction.

How was she annoying and useless, if she hardly got much screen time to begin with? Plus in VD that wasn't the real Eva, that was Eva from Vergil's memories, and he remembers how vulnerable she was during Mundus's raid. Plus that could just be her earth bound body she was in at the time.

Another thing i disliked about DmC, not enough replay value. I mean DMC 3 SE felt like some kind of epic ultimate collection of the game. DmC felt barebones with alot of the costume being DLC and all the weapon skins as well. No behind the scene videos...just nothing. Sure i really loved the art. But i wanted to see the mo-cap session or interviews. But...*sigh*

In your opinion. Me, I play that game almost religiously. It's just that fun to play for me, and I honestly play it more then I have played DMC3 SE. It's THAT good to me. Yeah, DMC3 is fun to get back to every now and then, but it gets pretty dull when you go through long passages, annoying puzzles, and traps everywhere. Doesn't feel real hack n slash like. With DmC at least something interesting is always going on for it to not get boring, so I guess its just a difference of opinion on this one.

Dante's DT and Vergil's DT not looking demonic. I find Dante's DT ability cheap and Vergil's DT ability practically useless.

You obviously haven't been using the DT right then.

I don't hate everything, but this isn't a thread about what you liked about DmC, its about whats the worst moment, and i find Vergil's DT useless. I rely more on his phantom swords (i'm not calling that ability Sword Illusion, that's stupid). Its fine if you find it great, i didn't even like using Doppleganger in DMC 3. Just like how some Pros prefer Royal Guard i prefer Trickster.

Both Eva's. They didn't show what was so special about her. I mean Original Eva protected her kids as well and she was human, this Eva was an angel and they didn't show what made her more special then the original Eva...yet she's an Angel for some reason. It made no sense. They might as well just made her human and that's it, the outcome would've been the same.

K fair enough, but without using DT it is extremely difficult to get high scores. Also, what exactly do you find cheap about Vergil he's supremely easy even on Dante Must Die. I mean you can counter all his attacks, and you can keep him in the air indefinitely. This was one of the reasons I modded him to make him far more difficult for pc version users.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
You obviously haven't been using the DT right then.

Excuse me, you don't have to sound like an elitist snob alright. I just PREFER (you know preference, is that a crime now to post nowadays) not using his Doppleganger ability. I don't give a crap if you use it like "how you're suppose to". There isn't a law stating that i have to play that way. I just prefer not using that ability. Got it?

How was she annoying and useless, if she hardly got much screen time to begin with? Plus in VD that wasn't the real Eva, that was Eva from Vergil's memories, and he remembers how vulnerable she was during Mundus's raid. Plus that could just be her earth bound body she was in at the time.

Now you're just making assumptions about her while i'm just asking about the unanswered questions. What i mean by useless is why they didn't show her what made her so special compared to the original Eva. I mean, she's suppose to be an Angel, a supernatural being. Dante even gets a scythe from her, but from what we've seen and from what we've heard she might as well be a human..

In your opinion. Me, I play that game almost religiously. It's just that fun to play for me, and I honestly play it more then I have played DMC3 SE. It's THAT good to me. Yeah, DMC3 is fun to get back to every now and then, but it gets pretty dull when you go through long passages, annoying puzzles, and traps everywhere. Doesn't feel real hack n slash like. With DmC at least something interesting is always going on for it to not get boring, so I guess its just a difference of opinion on this one.

Ok....So?

Stating my opinion is not going to deter anyone from playing or keep playing the game. This is a thread asking about other opinions, i told mines. So i don't know why you had to tell me this comment, like if i care if you played the game more. I played the game alot as well and passed everything and SSS rank everything a long time ago, i'm not bragging but you're forcing me to spew this information like if i didn't play the game long enough or something. I own the game, i'm not going to sell it, but there's nothing else to play from it because i got everything out of it. I never said the game is boring but you're treating me like if i hate the game totally (which i don't even though it may seem i stated alot of reasons). I won't say its the greatest DMC game ever (imo it most definitely isn't) but i'm not saying its bad. I've seen your post and you're obviously a big fan of it, that's fine, i have no qualms against you. But don't hold it against me that i'm not such a fanatic about it as you are.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
K fair enough, but without using DT it is extremely difficult to get high scores. Also, what exactly do you find cheap about Vergil he's supremely easy even on Dante Must Die. I mean you can counter all his attacks, and you can keep him in the air indefinitely. This was one of the reasons I modded him to make him far more difficult for pc version users.

I think what i found cheap (or more like gimmicky) is that you had to use the DT in order to defeat him...it felt like a QTE. Sometimes he would block alot of times (this happen alot in one of the Hell modes) it was really annoying after awhile but i got through it. I just think the fight with him wasn't as memorable as the DMC 3 final fight. But hey, that's just me.

I don't play for high scores tbh. This is the thing you're misunderstanding. Yes i got SSS ranks in all of the difficulty modes, but your priorities and mine are totally different.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
Don't just say the game altogether alright >_< For me it would have been the mission where everything goes slow motion thanks to Mundus, and you have to get things out of the way of the "Vergilmobile!"
Worst moment in DmC: Devil May Cry, hmm...

*face slowly distorts in horror* Mundus and Lilith having sex. I skip it every time.

OnionHead80.gif

Scary obese man impregnating a scary blow up doll, I can't withstand it I tell yoooou!

The whole game. All of it. Even the box art.
tumblr_mblmdq4zRc1r1maqwo1_500.gif

"But, Chii liked the box art."

I think what i found cheap (or more like gimmicky) is that you had to use the DT in order to defeat him...it felt like a QTE. Sometimes he would block alot of times (this happen alot in one of the Hell modes) it was really annoying after awhile but i got through it. I just think the fight with him wasn't as memorable as the DMC 3 final fight. But hey, that's just me.

I don't play for high scores tbh. This is the thing you're misunderstanding. Yes i got SSS ranks in all of the difficulty modes, but your priorities and mine are totally different.

The DT is only required for the killing blow, its hardly something that you can screw up and it doesn't make you restart the fight, you just save your DT for the final hit, and even if you dont, you just aquilas roundtrip till you have enough.

Also, I'm not trying to be an elitist or anything here, and I don't think its wrong to like one game over the other, but the fact that you can find this Vergil Cheap but not find DMC3 Vergil Cheap is pretty hard to swallow. DMC3 Vergil blocks just as much if not more than this Vergil, and he's much faster and more aggressive, one or two hit kills on DMD. It's very easy to parry most of vergil's attacks in DmC, and once you figure that out, he's totally powerless. Also, if you don't like parrying he's always one demon dodge or trillion stabs away from death.

This is from my noob days one of the oldest videos I made, but it shows the various ways you can take out Dante Must Die Default Vergil. Dante has a counter for almost every attack Vergil has, which makes the fight a lot fairer than you might remember it.

DisappointedSparda

The Disappointed
The DT is literally required for the killing blow, its hardly something that you can screw up and it doesn't make you restart the fight, you just save your DT for the final hit, and even if you dont, you just aquilas roundtrip till you have enough.

But why does it have to come to such a stupid gimmick. There's no need for that. Its basically a QTE. Why can't you just beat him with just pure skill and not simply giving the killing blow just because your DT meter is sufficient. I find it dumb. Whenever a game forces you to do something just to defeat a character that takes control out of you without you preferring it, its basically a QTE.

Also, I'm not trying to be an elitist or anything here, and I don't think its wrong to like one game over the other, but the fact that you can find this Vergil Cheap but not find DMC3 Vergil Cheap is pretty hard to swallow. DMC3 Vergil blocks just as much if not more than this Vergil, and he's much faster and more aggressive, one or two hit kills on DMD. It's very easy to parry most of vergil's attacks in DmC, and once you figure that out, he's totally powerless. Also, if you don't like parrying he's always one demon dodge or trillion stabs away from death.

Woah wait a minute, i didn't say DMC 3 Vergil isn't cheap, that he is sometimes. But i feel that with DMC 3 Vergil you had more control in how you defeated him, more specifically the killing blow. Another thing is, that DmC Dante's lack of variety in weapons made the fight a bit dull to me compared to DMC 3 where you can use whatever you wanted.

I don't parry in DMC games i dodge, thus why i said in my earlier post that Pros prefer Royal Guard and i prefer Trickster. Its so weird because the way i play Ninja Gaiden i like to do counterattacks rather then dodge...anyway...I never deemed myself a Pro and i don't think i am, but i'm not a novice either. This is just MY opinion about the game. You don't have to agree with it, and that's fine. But the thing you're not seeing is that you probably play for leaderboards or whatever while i just play to unlock stuff. I don't play just to get SSS to brag and show off on Youtube, or to be on the leaderboards i get it because that's one of the ways to get the last art piece or something. You might think its shallow or that i'm not "playing the game right" but that isn't your call. I'm fine with you or anyone else just focusing on the combat, but i don't pay for $60 + tax for a pure combat simulator. I can appreciate what the depth of the combat is, but i don't have to be so heavily involved in it like some serious Pro players.

But why does it have to come to such a stupid gimmick. There's no need for that. Its basically a QTE. Why can't you just beat him with just pure skill and not simply giving the killing blow just because your DT meter is sufficient. I find it dumb. Whenever a game forces you to do something just to defeat a character that takes control out of you without you preferring it, its basically a QTE.

Woah wait a minute, i didn't say DMC 3 Vergil isn't cheap, that he is sometimes. But i feel that with DMC 3 Vergil you had more control in how you defeated him, more specifically the killing blow. Another thing is, that DmC Dante's lack of variety in weapons made the fight a bit dull to me compared to DMC 3 where you can use whatever you wanted.

I don't parry in DMC games i dodge, thus why i said in my earlier post that Pros prefer Royal Guard and i prefer Trickster. Its so weird because the way i play Ninja Gaiden i like to do counterattacks rather then dodge...anyway...I never deemed myself a Pro and i don't think i am, but i'm not a novice either. This is just MY opinion about the game. You don't have to agree with it, and that's fine. But the thing you're not seeing is that you probably play for leaderboards or whatever while i just play to unlock stuff. I don't play just to get SSS to brag and show off on Youtube, or to be on the leaderboards i get it because that's one of the ways to get the last art piece or something. You might think its shallow or that i'm not "playing the game right" but that isn't your call. I'm fine with you or anyone else just focusing on the combat, but i don't pay for $60 + tax for a pure combat simulator. I can appreciate what the depth of the combat is, but i don't have to be so heavily involved in it like some serious Pro players.
I'm not asking you to become a pro player and make youtube videos, but you're complaining about things being cheap or not having enough variety, but you won't take the time to learn a few tricks that will help you dominate enemies or expand the combat possibilities for you. You want to break Vergil's guard, use kabloeey, you want to break his guard use a charged ricoshot, you want to just dodge, well then demon dodge and then attack him.

See, I really don't get it. The final DT "QTE, It's hardly some huge requirement that takes you out of the action. I mean on one hand, I see you complaining about narrative issues and then wheres a small slight extremely clever "gimmick" that makes sense with the narrative and that you only need for .01 seconds you're making a huge deal out of it. Also, did you know you can kill Vergil without the him falling to his knees "gimmick", if you activate DT earlier and just keep doing your combos to a finishing blow its seamless, and you don't have to have that final moment that takes you out of it.

So, as you can see, it's not like you can't use a bazillion tactics on Vergil, but rather that you didn't care enough to figure them out. In the end, what I think what happened is that you lost interest in the game before you mastered its combat system. The only reason you feel like DMC3 vergil was more fair and you felt more in control is because you mastered DMC3 and were able to dominate him; believe me when I say you can do the exact same thing to DmC Vergil.

As for the point about DmC's lack of weapons, there are only two less guns that DMC3 and unlike DMC3 you can have all the weapons and guns at once.

DmC weapons 5 vs DMC3 Weapons 5
Rebellion Rebellion
Aquilas Agni & Rudra
Osiris Cerberus
Eryx Beowulf
Arbitrer Nevan

DmC Guns 3.5 DMC3 Guns 5
Ebony & Ivory Ebony & Ivory/Spiral
Revenant Shotgun
Kablooey Kalina Ann
Artemis

Plus DmC has the two devil arms that pull in enemies and also pull you towards enemies, so I'm not sure what weapons you were missing. Like I said you obviously were done with the game and didn't feel the need to experiment with the combat system, but the DmC Dante is definitely not lacking in weapons and move variety, you just have to think a little outside the box and you can find yourself doing some really fun stuff.

Celestia Ludenberg

Gokigenyou~
Becoming a pro player at DmC is easy since it was made to be accessible.

DMC4 on the other hand, always finding out new things in it.

Also, I'm going to go with the cliche answer and say all of DmC was awful

The 3 years of insults from Tameem to the moment it was released. Saw it in the bargain bin for $10 today made me warm inside.

Great response, very constructive and useful, nothing of value discussing the actual game or any proof that you played it, but here you are on The DmC message board wasting your time saying the whole game was awful, and mephistocarnival why exactly is this comment worth liking. I mean seriously, why not go to DMC4 board then and have a new thread so you can discuss all the amazing new tech you are still finding.... Unbelievable gall, new member, first post is pure flame bait. Welcome to the DmC board, try to read the original posters thread message before you post your vitriol next time.

OP's post =

Don't just say the game altogether alright >_< For me it would have been the mission where everything goes slow motion thanks to Mundus, and you have to get things out of the way of the "Vergilmobile!"

Your First Post

Becoming a pro player at DmC is easy since it was made to be accessible.

DMC4 on the other hand, always finding out new things in it.

The 3 years of insults from Tameem to the moment it was released. Saw it in the bargain bin for $10 today made me warm inside.

Go troll elsewhere.

Celestia Ludenberg

Gokigenyou~
Great response, very constructive and useful, nothing of value discussing the actual game or any proof that you played it, but here you are on The DmC message board wasting your time saying the whole game was awful, and mephistocarnival why exactly is this comment worth liking. I mean seriously, why not go to DMC4 board then and have a new thread so you can discuss all the amazing new tech you are still finding.... new member, first post flame bait. Welcome to the DmC board.

Come on now, there's no need to be over dramatic about this.

As a member of this forum I have my rights to post where I want and how I want as long as I abide by the rules. There is no reason to let this escalate any further, please.

Come on now, there's no need to be over dramatic about this.

As a member of this forum I have my rights to post where I want and how I want as long as I abide by the rules. There is no reason to let this escalate any further, please.
:/

You've been reported, don't play victim and give talk about not wanting to escalate things, when your first post on the DmC board is nonsense like this:

If you hate all of DmC, then there's several other message boards for you to exercise your free speech rights.

Celestia Ludenberg

Gokigenyou~
You've been reported, don't play victim and if you don't want to escalate things, read the thread and think before posting your nonsense. If you hate DmC, then read the sticky at the top of this message board, or go talk about your DmC hate elsewhere.

I feel like I'm being attacked here "Welcome to the DmC forum" I don't feel very welcomed. I have already explained that I have my right to post here just like everybody else, I am not breaking any rules. I think you need to re-read them actually.

I think you're being very disrespectful.

Top Bottom