• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why is Vergil in the comic so diffrent from the Vergil in the game?

TheNoHeartedBeing

Then it's the same reason that Vergil in the DMC3 manga is so different from Vergil in the DMC3 game, bad manga/comic writers ;)
Yeah also people are saying he erased his memories of his and Kats adventures in the comics so that he wouldnt have feelings for her but this still leaves the question..."why didnt he use DT to defeat Dante" lol. Crazy stuff man.

Onecrazymonkey1

I guess it is a cheap way out. Besides, I don't get how erasing Dante and Vergil's memories would stop them being found by Mundus. Sure, if he didn't know about Vergil, then he was safe and didn't need mind wiping.
And as for Dante, Mundus could have found him by sight. There are demons in the child homes Dante was sent to, so why didn't they recognise him? Or maybe that was why Dante kpet breaking out of them....and that report Bob says about Dante killing a nurse (probably a demon trying to kill him). Wiping a Dante's memory as a child was not going to protect him from a load of demons out to kill him.

As for what Vergil did with him and Kat, that was a cheap way out too. Couldn't they have just talked it through and decided to be professional? Is Vergil that weak that he was unable to control his feeling for Kat and his only option was to erase?:/

Yeah I'll never understand why Sparda wiped their memories either, it seemed really dumb to me because it didn't make much difference; besides why did Sparda just turn himself in when he probably could have taken Mundus out and ended it right there? As for Vergil and Kat, it would have been pretty interesting to see the drama of both brothers falling for her or would that have made it too much like a soap opera? hmmm I'm not sure :/

good thing I'm not a professional writer ha :p

TheNoHeartedBeing

Yeah I'll never understand why Sparda wiped their memories either, it seemed really dumb to me because it didn't make much difference; besides why did Sparda just turn himself in when he probably could have taken Mundus out and ended it right there? As for Vergil and Kat, it would have been pretty interesting to see the drama of both brothers falling for her or would that have made it too much like a soap opera? hmmm I'm not sure :/

lol. Sparda most likley wiped their memory so that they wouldn't go after revenge but still the demons would still go after them. Also i feel like Dante just came and stole Vergil's girl.

Onecrazymonkey1

The reason why I felt that some feelings had to remain was because of several camera shots of Vergil in the background just staring Dante down; especially the part when Dante winked at Kat! I half expected Vergil to say "well your just getting sloppy seconds brother"

AlchemistFromEden

imo sparda probably wiped their memories so that they wouldn't grieve on a daily basis, especially dante, who saw her death first hand, guessing sparda assumed that both dante and vergil would've been adopted into nice families

Onecrazymonkey1

imo sparda probably wiped their memories so that they wouldn't grieve on a daily basis, especially dante, who saw her death first hand, guessing sparda assumed that both dante and vergil would've been adopted into nice families
I didn't even think about the grieving process ha.

See I'm sure a lot of people are happy I'm not on the writing team. I bet the antis would appreciate the story to this game more if they read something I tried to write... :ermm:
I still think they should have shown more background on Sparda though. I really hope he didn't just go in quietly.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
imo sparda probably wiped their memories so that they wouldn't grieve on a daily basis

If that's the case then Sparda is an asshole as well as an incompetent coward. At least if he wiped their memories to "protect their identities" (Which arguably couldn't possibly work, seeing as the first time they are pulled into Limbo any demon will notice that they are Nephilim, and that's happened to Dante multiple times before the game starts) he had their best interests in mind. If you intentionally destroy a person's bereavement they can't psychologically process what's happened to them and you intentionally doom them to become emotionally unstable manchildren.

...actually that sounds right. Good post Alchemist.

I didn't even think about the grieving process ha.

See I'm sure a lot of people are happy I'm not on the writing team. I bet the antis would appreciate the story to this game more if they read something I tried to write... :ermm:
I still think they should have shown more background on Sparda though. I really hope he didn't just go in quietly.
I'd like to see your reinterpretation of the story. If you wrote it I'd certainly review it.

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
NoHeart, God bless you, stop multiposting. Use the edit key if you want to make an addendum.

In addition to making all the character development in the story completely redundant as well.

...Although Kat is still completely crucial to all of his schemes, and literally none of them would have worked without her omniscient scrying abilities. Without her reconnaissance it wouldn't have been possible to defeat Succubus, Bob or Mundas, and the game makes no effort to show that she is in any way replaceable.
Which is why he would have lost to Mundus in the end without Kat, because he underestimated the value of humans (just like he did in DMC3).
Also, Kat already performed her duties, she spied on the Succubus, Mundus, other demons, etc. So Vergil already had all of the data he needed, which is what he deleted in that pain in the a$$ mission

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
Which is why he would have lost to Mundus in the end without Kat, because he underestimated the value of humans (just like he did in DMC3).
Also, Kat already performed her duties, she spied on the Succubus, Mundus, other demons, etc. So Vergil already had all of the data he needed, which is what he deleted in that pain in the a$$ mission

And yet it's Kat, not Vergil, who handles the briefing for the assault on Mundas's skyscraper and gives them both up-to-the-minute recon data every single step of the way, allowing them both to get to exactly where they need to go. Even then Vergil buggers up the hack on the laser nets because he's a boob.

Vergil's traditional personality flaw of failing to trust humans doesn't really make sense for the DmC universe. Granted humans are clearly inferior to (sigh) Nephilim, but as the mastermind of an international tactical terrorist network he would be forced to rely on people with very specific talents and skills for years before his plans would come to fruition. To inspire loyalty in such people he would be forced to rely on his agents to perform their duties just as any leader would, and cherish those who are reliable as favoured agents. Even if Vergil had comprehensive data on Mundas's skyscraper before the goon squad pinched Kat, he'd still need her to perfom oversight and contingencies in case the plan would change for any reason.

Imagine if you were going to hike through a jungle, and you memorised your map perfectly but then lost your GPS. Any sensible person would get a new GPS even if they had to go out of their way to do so, because the information they have memorized might have already become outdated. Even from a utilitarian perspective it makes very little sense to leave Kat in the hands of the enemy. Hell, especially if that enemy is the goddamned DEVIL; I appreciate that Kat has a lot of willpower, but in the hands of a God of Torture I wouldn't fancy her chances. Vergil should have at least given the poor girl a cynanide cap just to be humane...

Classic Vergil being an ass to humans made sense because he is solitary; he operates alone just as Dante does, and he only ever worked with Arkham under excruciating duress. He needed the creepy prick because he had a more comprehensive knowledge of Temen-Ni-Gru than Vergil did, and he made his contempt for Arkham very clear every step of the way, right up to the point of gutting him the moment he felt he was of no further use (And it would have been the smartest thing Vergil did all evening if he had only sliced off his head). It made sense for Classic Vergil because he is beholden unto only himself, because he doesn't need a comprehensive resource network to back up his every action. When he disrespected humanity, it didn't contradict his entire backstory.

I'll be picking up the comics today, so I'll have a better perspective on it very soon. Happy to support DmC.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd want that ha. I'm shy and tend to get embarrassed about certain things but maybe I'll think about it. :blush:
Hey, at least you know I'm honest and that I'll give you detailed feedback. Go on, go for it, it'll be fun. Might want to wait for Downfall first though.

Top Bottom