• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why I see Virgil as the better person

Taramafor

This might sound strange for Dante fans. There's a number of very specific things both Dante and Virgil are doing. Let's examine them. I'll be using DMC3 and DMC5 mostly.

Starting with DMC4. This is where some people can get confused so let's be clear here. Virgil goes to the city "a few decades ago". it states that in Virgil's intro in DMC4. A woman looks at him, who seems the most likely candidate for Nero's mother. This means this intro with Virgil happened before DMC3. Since Virgil is with Mundus after that which then leads to DMC5.

Dante also kills Agnus after they asked a question. Come on dude, even Virgil isn't that ruthless. If you're not going to exchange viewpoints and ideals then what's the point?

Heading into DMC3 we can see Dante mocking his enemies (as always). Already I see a situation here. He provokes fights. I personally enjoy being made a target and abused myself, but Dante actually does things to encourage his enemies to fight him. Let's compare this with Virgil.

Virgil remains calm and composed. For whatever reason he knows better then to lose his temper or crack jokes. Why this is I don't know. We don't know his past enough before DMC3. In Virgil's intro in DMC3 we can also see that he gives full and fair warning. We can also see this in DMC5. Unlike Dante. It's like Darth Vader in Star Wars. It's his way of giving you a chance to change his mind. Say or do the wrong thing and you're getting sliced. Arkham is a good example of how to change Virgil's mind even after Virgil was angry with him in this intro.

Getting to when Dante and Virgil first meet in DMC3. The two have a chat. Who draws and points the weapon first? Dante.

The second fight in DMC3. Who draws their weapon and points it first? Dante.

The third fight. Dante goes "Give me this. Stop you that." In a nutshell. Being demanding. At the end of the fight Virgil accepts his defeat and falls (legit falling down a cliff) and then he gets corrupted by Mundus.

This now brings us to DMC5, and this is where things get quite interesting. Clearly Virgil breaks down and gives into apathy, but people that know the worst know control better. It's because they know how to control the worst. Dante's never been in that situation. Dante does what he can to try and convince Virgil (rather, Urizen), but he ends up striking first most of the time. It's simply not a good way to convince someone. Virgil pulls himself back together after nearly being killed and attacked. Dante strikes at Virgil and what does Virgil do? He pushes Dante back for his own safety when he's being blind and reckless. And to top it off Virgil even thanks Nero. That shows a lot of Virgil's strength of character.

Dante and Virgil end up fighting. Nero steps in, who's pretty much the only one to go "Stop making it about destruction". And things work out. The fight itself is more for show. Virgil already lost the fight because his heart wasn't in it. He just needed to know Nero would fight for his ideals. And formed an agreement with Dante in the process.

Overall Dante tends to make snap judgements more while Virgil observes more accurately. Virgil also doesn't complain while Dante does (proven with Agni and Rudra). Dante kills people while they're left in the dark. Virgil makes it clear right in your face. And will reply when asked even when running you through.

That's quite a number of interesting events. What do you people think of these situations? Keep in mind I'm viewing each situation on its own merits.

Last edited:

Koko

I agree with you soo much i always think about way people in dmc 3 vergil as villain? He is not evil at all, and why do we consider Dante a hero because he killed Arkham, and Virgil is evil because he killed Arkham, but in the end they both killed Arkham. Vergil is just a character against the main character, but he is not evil. Virgil wants more power, and he has not done anything wrong, and this is his inheritance, and he does not refuse to share it with Dante, but Dante is the one who refuses .the second thing Virgil killed Arkham because he knew that he would betray him in the end, and Virgil had two options: to wait until he betrays him and take his father’s power and kill him, or kill him before Arkham did his evil intentions, he also did not kill Lady, even when she attacked him and wanted to kill him. He only pushed her away, and he also did not kill her when he saw her alone without her weapon, and he had the opportunity to kill her, but he did not kill her, and also in the novel The Deadly fortune, when Sanctus threatened him with the dagger, Virgil. He gave him a warning that he did not intend to harm him, but if you harmed me, i would harm you. Also, when he was in the original novel in the Bobby’s cellar was giving his money to the rest of the mercenaries because he said, “I do not use this money.” And also in the dmc 3 when he decided to remain in the underworld and let Dante live as a human in human world he is very kind guy

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Vergil has admirable traits like his discipline or being proactive. But as a person the series has failed to give him much depth as an adult. It's not just the classic series, the reboot does drop the ball. And its not just Vergil but all the characters.

I'm hoping the upcoming animated series aka the second reboot picks up the slack.

Koko

Yes i notice this that thay did not gave him enough depth even his mode in game is so boring there is nothing on it . But there is feeling come to my heart that the animated series would not be that much good ,and you what do you think about it . I feel more like that the manga of devil may cry 3 will have anime this will be the content of the anime series

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Yes i notice this that thay did not gave him enough depth even his mode in game is so boring there is nothing on it . But there is feeling come to my heart that the animated series would not be that much good ,and you what do you think about it . I feel more like that the manga of devil may cry 3 will have anime this will be the content of the anime series
I'm optimistic because I enjoyed their take on Castlevania. Both Castlevania series are way better stories than the recent games and the last anime.

I'm more excited about the anime than an upcoming DMC6 because there's a better chance for a fresh take with the anime than there is with a potential DMC6.

I don't mean to be cynical but I'm just disappointed with how the series continued after 3. That direction didn't work for me. So Bingo Morabishi's writing, Itsuno as a game director and Kobayashi as a producer aren't for me.

The series still has potential but I'm skeptical of their ability to pull it off.

Last edited:

Koko

I'm optimistic because I enjoyed their take on Castlevania. Both Castlevania series are way better stories than the recent games and the last anime.

I'm more excited about the anime than an upcoming DMC6 because there's a better chance for a fresh take with the anime than there is with a potential DMC6.

I don't mean to be cynical but I'm just disappointed with how the series continued after 3. That direction didn't work for me. So Bingo Morabishi's writing, Itsuno as a game director and Kobayashi as a producer aren't for me.

The series still has potential but I'm skeptical of their ability to pull it off.
What do you think thay must do to make the game more better ? I am thinking recently about what may happen in devil may cry 6 i also start to design how the character would be but is just my imagination i do not think that capcom gona love my work of art lol

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
What do you think thay must do to make the game more better ? I am thinking recently about what may happen in devil may cry 6 i also start to design how the character would be but is just my imagination i do not think that capcom gona love my work of art lol
Just create that character for yourself and you could post it.-

I'm more interested in a completely new cast than sticking with Dante and the others. But checking in with Dante and Vergil after they were trapped on hell is good enough for me.

I disliked how 5 handled Vergil but bringing him back and addressing the rivalry between the brothers was a good idea. So continuing with them would be ideal for me.

I'm not sure what DMC needs but I think God of War's recent stories are leagues above DMC's. So they could learn a few things from them.

I don't mind another reboot and a role swap where Vergil was the hero would be fun.

Last edited:

Koko

I'm more interested in a completely new cast than sticking with Dante and the others. But checking in with Dante and Vergil after they were trapped on hell is good enough for me.

I disliked how 5 handled Vergil but bringing him back and addressing the rivalry between the brothers was a good idea. So continuing with them would be ideal for me.

I'm not sure what DMC needs but I think God of War's recent stories are leagues above DMC's. So they could learn a few things from them.

I don't mind another reboot and a role swap where Vergil was the hero would be fun.
I agree with you really i want see vergil as hero

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Trying to argue Vergil is a "better" or worse person strikes me as incredibly strange because as far as DMC3 is concerned, the game makes it very clear that Vergil is the living embodiment of amorality. That is to say Vergil sees himself as completely justified in striking down the Hell Vanguard that failed to kill Dante or to backstab Arkham after he opened the final door of the Tower, because Vergil doesn't think in terms of "right" or "wrong" like a normal person, but merely through the lens of Krátocracy where as the strongest he has the power to decree who lives and dies based on how useful they are to him at any one given moment.

That's not to say I think Dante in that game is a shining beacon of morality, lord knows I've gone on over the years about how I hate Dante's characterisation from 3 onwards. However as the protagonist who is trying to defeat the men who are attempting to bring about the apocalypse, it's not hard to see why the audience are expected to side with Dante in this conflict, even if Dante is a douche about it with a poor attempt at a character arc throughout 3.

Koko

Trying to argue Vergil is a "better" or worse person strikes me as incredibly strange because as far as DMC3 is concerned, the game makes it very clear that Vergil is the living embodiment of amorality. That is to say Vergil sees himself as completely justified in striking down the Hell Vanguard that failed to kill Dante or to backstab Arkham after he opened the final door of the Tower, because Vergil doesn't think in terms of "right" or "wrong" like a normal person, but merely through the lens of Krátocracy where as the strongest he has the power to decree who lives and dies based on how useful they are to him at any one given moment.

That's not to say I think Dante in that game is a shining beacon of morality, lord knows I've gone on over the years about how I hate Dante's characterisation from 3 onwards. However as the protagonist who is trying to defeat the men who are attempting to bring about the apocalypse, it's not hard to see why the audience are expected to side with Dante in this conflict, even if Dante is a douche about it with a poor attempt at a character arc throughout 3.
So what i understand is both of the are evil and it is make sense because both of the at the end devils . Devils are the symbolism of evil . Do not forget the titel of the game itself devil may cry even the aurther believes that thay are devils “ evil “

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
So what i understand is both of the are evil and it is make sense because both of the at the end devils . Devils are the symbolism of evil . Do not forget the titel of the game itself devil may cry even the aurther believes that thay are devils “ evil “
Sure but I wouldn't call Dante evil. He's more like Spider-Man- he's a flawed hero.

There is potential to make him an anti-hero via his past as a mercenary named Tony Redgrave. 3 retcons it out while 5 brings but they do little with it other bring in Nell Goldstein- the creator of Ebony and Ivory. Nico is her granddaughter.

I'm hoping the upcoming animated series does something more with it and Dante and Vergil's rivalry. Canonically it's pretty one sided and Vergil's reasoning would be better suited for a game where Dante and Vergil are 12.

Something like the Bayonetta spinoff with Bayonetta as a kid.

Top Bottom