• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Why are we are ALL Batman?

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
I AM THE NIGHT, I AM VENGEANCE, I AM BATMAN!!!
Batman_arkham-detectiveMode.png

No Garrett is BATMAN!!
16499742.jpg

No Sam Fisher is BATMAN!!
latest

Splinter-Cell-Blacklist-12.jpg

No Agent 47 is BATMAN!!!
Hitman-Absolution-PC-3.jpg

NO!!! The Assassin is BATMAN!!!
unity%20worst%20murderer%20eagle%20vision.png

*sigh*
TombRaiderSurvivalInstinct.jpg

Stop....
darkvision.jpg

PLEASE STOP!!
the-last-of-us-audio-review-L-szDEZC.jpeg

OH GOD!!!!
hqdefault.jpg

God dammit Batman, look what you've done!!
Pretty much EVERY stealth game since 2009 has had Batman's Detective mode thrown in.
I bring this up now because I just watched a gameplay demo for the new Hitman and I was liking what I was seeing so far and had a feeling that this new Hitman would be fixing some of the mistakes from Absolution and modern stealth games in general, the biggest mistake of them all was the Detective Mode rip offs, when the gameplay video got to the disguise part it looked like the Instinct Mode was given the boot as the disguise gameplay looked to be back to the Blood Money glory days and gave me hope, but then the damn demo just had to flat out admit the Instinct Feature was back out of nowhere and completely killed the mood.
I stopped watching the video after that and lost all hope for modern stealth games to be actual stealth games again.
Hell even bloody action games with a tiny hint of stealth have it!!!
RiZjGob.jpg

2013-05-01_00007.jpg

Why does every modern stealth game protag have to be Batman nowadays? I remember the good old days of Splinter Cell and even classic Metal Gear where we had to keep peeking around corners, checking the area and such and learning the paths of the enemy to get by, but it's just "Push button to become Batman" and easily watch the enemy's every move through a freaking wall!!!

At least MGS5 doesn't seem to be taking it overboard like every other game which is a good thing.

People like to say that "it's optional, just don't use it!" but they fail to realize that most of if not all the time, the games are always built around these features.
Hitman Absolution and the Batman Arkham games being the biggest offenders of that.

Does anyone else think that this feature needs to go away?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I wanted to point out that MGS1 used sonar that allowed to see enemies as shilouettes to watch over their movements.
Also AC had it before Batman and Blood Rayne even earlier. Also Deus Ex and Dishonored

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
It's not just the seeing where the enemies are through the walls and what not, it's the hand holding, the links to the feature and the games being built around it.
You can't go through the Arkham Games without using it, Instinct Mode is linked to the disguise system so turning it off doesn't help, it's like turning off the counter mode fully in the Batman games.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Honestly MGS1 give a very clear positions for enemies and their points of view. They removed it first in MGS3, but I think they also made sonar useless in MGS3

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
i think what the problem is that getting rid of the Detective mode style would make these games actually Challenging
and that is something that isn't really in the triple A publisher mindset
they have to make games a walk in the park but make you feel like a Bad Ass and Batman seems to be the Go To Bad Ass right now

also just to be clear i'm not saying all the games listed up there are Super Easy
but many triple A games are too easy IMO
but they have to do that so casual players don't feel intimated

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
I agree on this mode to be removed from the games altogether but as Director Bison and VampireWicked said, it would then make the game "less accessible".

Every company thriving to make the game more accessible is the reason i think games like Dark Souls have over-rated difficulty.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Y'know, I don't know if anyone was smart enough to think of it, buuut why don't you guys just, and check this out guys, NOT use detective mode? Easy right??
images

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
Y'know, I don't know if anyone was smart enough to think of it, buuut why don't you guys just, and check this out guys, NOT use detective mode? Easy right??
images
it's not the fact that we could just not use it
it's that there is zero reason not to use it
these games are built around detective mode
so not using it makes the games more of a pain then they would be if they were built around not having it
like @xMobilemux said
It's not just the seeing where the enemies are through the walls and what not, it's the hand holding, the links to the feature and the games being built around it.
You can't go through the Arkham Games without using it, Instinct Mode is linked to the disguise system so turning it off doesn't help, it's like turning off the counter mode fully in the Batman games.
and like he said it holds your hand too much

like in Assassins creed
you have to find your target what do you do?
do you search the area for guards that could be protecting him
maybe look in a base of some sort

or you can just go to the highest building around turn on eagle vision and look for the bright yellow glowing man

and it's not that this is that bad in Batman or Assassins Creed
but now every game is doing it
instead of having interesting ways of fooling and sneaking around enemy's
now you can just see thew wall and walk right past them getting rid any need for thinking up a smart strategy

DragonMaster2010

it's not the fact that we could just not use it
it's that there is zero reason not to use it
these games are built around detective mode
so not using it makes the games more of a pain then they would be if they were built around not having it
like @xMobilemux said

and like he said it holds your hand too much

like in Assassins creed
you have to find your target what do you do?
do you search the area for guards that could be protecting him
maybe look in a base of some sort

or you can just go to the highest building around turn on eagle vision and look for the bright yellow glowing man

and it's not that this is that bad in Batman or Assassins Creed
but now every game is doing it
instead of having interesting ways of fooling and sneaking around enemy's
now you can just see thew wall and walk right past them getting rid any need for thinking up a smart strategy

But again, you don't HAVE to use it. In Batman, there are times where detective mode is completely unusable and you have to take the enemies out one by one without its aid. And with Assassin's Creed, most of the time I forget able eagle vision unless I need it to find hidden things.
Both Assassin's Creed and Batman don't necessarily NEED detective vision to do things. That's all entirely on the player's choice whether they want to challenge themselves like that or not.
I do agree that this detective mode is in pretty much every game, however for some of those games, it's not detrimental.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I would like to point out that MGSV didn't originally have the marking system. It was put in after testers found the game too hard. Yet you still have the option of not using it to increase the difficulty.

DragonMaster2010

For assassin's creed & hitman doesn't that takeaway from the point of searching for someone hiding in a crowd ?

I mean when the game's main challenge is finding someone in the crowd or avoid being seen by enemies making rounds then why include that option that's highlights Waldo.
I guess for AC, instead of the enemies you need to find being yellow, there could be a specific article of clothing or a color the enemy wears that you have to look out for.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Thing is Dark Souls isn't THAT hard. BUT it doesn't hold your hands. You need to explore, you need to learn combat and you need to learn how to deal with bosses on your own. AC in core is most bright example of mainstream game, that basically barely demands anything out of you.

Satsui no Hado

BUY ONE THOUSAND GIFTS!!!
I personally don't see what's wrong with features like detective mode, the game usually builds it's level design around it to the point where NOT having it would be bad game design. I mean, why is the feeling of stealth not there?
While I get the feeling of hand holding, maybe rather that being scrapped it can be done like how it was in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, where it does have something similar to detective mode but it can only be used for a short period of time as it consumes energy.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I personally don't have a problem with this "detective mode". Even without it, enemies aren't particularly hard to spot.

Though it does remind me of the night vision goggles in MGSV Ground Zeroes, they were too OP and allowed you to mark enemies miles away. So in Phantom Pain they nerfed it so it runs on a battery, preventing you from spamming it, and it no longer works during the day either limiting when you can use it.

Top Bottom