• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

When kiddies play...

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Ok, so in the UK it seems that when kids are playing imaginary games, they put on an American accent. A bad one at that.

So in the US do kids put on a really bad English accent?

And if you are neither in the US nor the UK - what do you do for accents???

Discuss :D

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Angel;266701 said:
Ok, so in the UK it seems that when kids are playing imaginary games, they put on an American accent. A bad one at that.

So in the US do kids put on a really bad English accent?

And if you are neither in the US nor the UK - what do you do for accents???

Discuss :D

Funny thing is, I can do an (I've been told) rather accurate British accent. Along with a Russian, Arabian, and German accent.

aka958

Don't trust people
That does not sound logical. It just doesn't fit in my eyes. >.<

I really like British accents though, it sounds so sophisticated. xP
I've never thought about how I sound... I always think I sound really strange but I'm going through voice changes so... :p

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I could do both pretty good when I was a bit younger. It came in handy when my friends and I did prank calls to the same number - the person had no clue it was me over and over again. But kids over here tend to do the American accent. TV and everything is ruled by the Americans so it's not surprising. Although mostly they just sound Kiwi here :p

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I used to do all kinds of voices when my friends and I would play imaginary games...because it was almost like we were roleplaying, and I wanted to fit the roles XD

I remember I would speak gibberish when I was trying to sound German or Japanese though XDDDDD

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Yes! Perhaps because when I was a kid I would act out things from movies that I liked. They nearly always had actors with American accents in them. I can do a pretty convincing set of American accents even now.

Also, I really hated the Scouse accent, even when I was a kid. I don't wander about doing American accents any more, but I have systematically destroyed any trace of my original Liverpool twang and replaced it with my own little amalgam. Heaven knows what I sound like, but it's not much like Scouse, that's for sure - I've lived in six different cities all over the UK so my accent is now sufficiently custom-cryptic.

I'm quite good at emulating accents from all over the place. I really love English spoken with Russian, German and Chinese accents. XD

But yeah, I've seen Brit kids doing American accents quite a bit - I guess we absorb a lot of it through our love of movies and games. When they're playing some kind of Toy Story game they seem to do it automatically.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
My accent's always been a weird one, even when I was a kid I despised the South West Dorset accent, it's so...Tractor trash. Even writing that it went through my head with that painfully thick, farmer type accent...But there we go.

Anyway, much like Lexy I made any attempt I could to ditch my accent, I never put on an American one though, my accent these days stems from living in London, spending plenty of time abroad and the stereotypical, upper class British. What ho chaps, cup of tea and a scone anyone?

I'm pretty good at putting on accents too, or so I've been told. I'm good at thick Russian, as well as Irish and Welsh. *Thinks back to drunken nights yelling "If that were a lightsaber, your arm would be off!" in the thickest Welsh accent possible.*

But anyway, yeah I get what you mean, living where I do, I see a lot of kids doing their playful thing (often times in the middle of the road, when we're trying to drive into town...), and they do seem to put on American accents quite a lot, and I must admit, it has always made me wonder if Americans do the same for us...

*Strokes beard in contemplation*

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
I think the only reason I used to do it is because I associated action and exitement with hollywood action movies more. Talking normally was just too vanilla.
Even the Bruce Lee movies I watched with my brother were dubbed my Americans.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
"tractor trash"...love it... :lol:

Accents are weird though - Jake will grow up with a Staffs accent. I'm from the south but adapt according to location. Steve is Staffs through and through. Jessica is a hybrid like me. I know a family where the dad is from Yorkshire, the mum is Australian and the kids were born in the midlands. Their accents are SO screwed up you couldn't possibly define them :lol:

So why is it kids pick American accents when they play? Is it TV? What is it that makes us adopt a different accent when we play? I asked Jessica and all I got was a shrug and "mum, you're so weird". Which is true, but beside the point.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I think it must be from movies and games, definitely. I meet a lot more Americans these days living in Tintagel, or when I talk to my American friends or clients on the internet... but when I was a kid it was a rare, amazing event to ever meet a person who was from America and talked like the do in the movies. Only once or twice it happened and I would usually just watch them fascinated, wondering what it must be like living on the amazing Planet USA.

Haha... youth.

Meg

When me and my sister were little we were playing a game where we decided one of the characters should have a British accent. (don't ask why) Well for some said reason my poor sister couldn't stop talking like even after we had stopped playing. It was hilarious.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
It is odd - I didn't have TV until I was probably about 6 (I'm not that old, we were just poor :lol:) so I have no idea where my American accent came from. I think I saw about two films before we got a TV but surely that couldn't have been enough to make me talk like that??

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I never did as a child.
But now i'm older, i imitate my Uncle. (He is a Cornishman, that speaks with a Nottinghamshire accent ay-up and all that.)
Can't do a scottish accent though, always morphs into Irish.

As for me, I've dropped my Cornish Accent... I went to a Cornish School and got bullied for having a Cornish accent... :pinch:
But, its still there sometimes. (What you see on telly (ie Doc Martin) is rubbish. We don't all speak in that accent)

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Jessica adopted the Staffs accent pretty quickly when kids at her school would tease her for being posh, because she was Southern. When we go back to our hometown, we have to revert back to our previous accents because the same thing happens when she sees her old friends. She does it pretty well - but I think Jake is screwed :lol:

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
I can do a pretty decent British accent. both ****ney, some yorkshire and what not. I am American. I have a new england accent. and sometimes when I go to the midwest to visit my family I pick up the midwestern accent.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
Ahaha! I have done an okay British accent in the past...but normally when I try...SOMEHOW, it ends up sounding more Australian than British. I have often wondered what my real voice sounds like to others though.

I am from the Southern part of North America...where English slang and farmer-speak are very common...and it kills me inside. Much like Credo, I cannot STAND my real American accent, and I have done very well to change over these past few years.

The reason I know I was so successful is because one of my school teachers told me that I have a very non-southern, sophisticated voice, and that my voice was very presentative when I spoke. I was so proud of myself XD

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I think the reason may be that people put on an accent, or at least a variation on an accent (American stereotypical "bad guy" voice, etc etc) to distance themselves from their real selves and really "get in the role", so to speak. Well, it's why I put on accents while playing anyways. I still do. XD

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
^Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying when I made my earlier post

I used to do all kinds of voices when my friends and I would play imaginary games...because it was almost like we were roleplaying, and I wanted to fit the roles

PLUS, it's just plain fun!

H

HarbingerOfChaos

I love how British people sound.

That **** is hilarious.

American master race here, btw.

Hell, you guys are right up there with Swedish people that speak English.

Top Bottom