• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's your favorite Devil May Cry game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
1) DMC 1 (Nothing beats the Original)
2) DMC 3 (Just for the sheer action)
3) DmC (has good production values and i like new vergil)

DMC 4&2 ? meh...

MoiTheDemonHunter

For me it goes:

1. DMC3 - it had the best combat in my opinion and my favourite version of Dante, plus I loved the villains and enemy design.
2. DMC1 - it had the best setting for me out of all the games, great characters and the most memorable.
3. DMC4 - I liked Nero and the Order plus SHALL NEVER SURRENDER
4. DMC2 - ..............it introduced Bloody Palace
5. DmC - I'm new to DMC so I wasn't annoyed when I saw the reboot, sadly I don't like the direction they took, I didn't like Dante or any of the characters, combat was far too easy to master and the story was meh. Now I know DMC was never praised for its story but I heard NT could write stories.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Right now, I'd say DMC3.
Second is (probably) DMC1
Third is DMC4
Fourth is DMC2

I can't say anything about DmC yet, as I've only played the demo.
The demo was incredibly boring to me, though.

graters

1.DmC Devil May Cry and why i like it ? Becuase the history was awesome.The story of what happened to his father mother and brother and dante himself was just fantastic.The characters i liked most espeacially KAT ! Loved her.I liked the new Dante a lot.His new look and his new behavior.And before u say "wtf his new behavior?He was a d**k!!!" i liked his new behavior beucase first he said he dont give a sh*t but he do about kat.Second he is just whatever in the levels + i liked the part where he was talking with the succubus :D ! I liked a lot the new mechanics and the new combat.The athmosphere was better than the previous parts.And i like the new devil too.
2.DMC 3
3.DMC 1
The others i didnt like much though when i first played the fourth part i really liked it but the athmosphere isnt good atleast in my opinion + there wasnt much history in it.The combat wasnt bad though the other things i didnt like much...

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
I liked 1 and DmC.

1 had the best Dante, a man who could go from a fun loving jokester in one minute to a solemn, stoic ass-kicker the next.

DmC showed a young man in his early 20's becoming that man, even if it's in another universe.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
DMC2...
Because it was my first game, I enjoy playing it, I love the music that's in it and that Dante is my favourite Dante out of all of them, including Reboot Dante...

Really? Heh, more power to you.

3 was the perfect storm for me. You might claim that 4 had a deeper combat system and that DmC has a...plot of some kind, but I think 3 is the closest the series has come to outright perfection. The plot is a deliberate broad strokes heroic parable with exaggerated characters, ludicrous feats and big emotions left and right, like something pulled from the Annals of Gilgamesh, and yet there's surprising nuance to the goofy plot that you can appreciate on more than just the superficial level. Although the absence of the in-game style switching from 4 is limiting, I think it prioritizes mastering each play style and learning to work within each's advantages and disadvantages beautifully. The weapons are each creative and completely unique, but come with the added bonus of coming from each boss; letting you wield trophies of your successes and using them to annihilate your enemies is hugely gratifying, and not a little unlike Megaman. The Special Edition includes Gold Mode and a well balanced Easy Mode, making it accessible to less skilled players while never mollycoddling them. The pacing is perfect, with each Mission taking less than ten minutes to complete, thus encouraging short, exciting play sessions rather than binge gaming, which gives the game even more longevity than it's deep combat system and brutal upper difficulty can. The cutscenes are beautifully choreographed, directed and acted, with real love of the craft visible in every shot.

It isn't without it's flaws of course. The camera is functional most of the time, but sometimes it's bloody awful. The platforming is absolutely foul, but thankfully it seldom gets in the way of your fun. Another problem that I have is that because of the larger than life direction the game takes, Dante starts the game already as a total badass, so you don't get much of an impression of how far he has come in terms of power by the end of the game.

I really should hammer out a full critique for each game in the series soon...

Haven

Devil May Cry's a Rockin Baby!
Ooh, that's a hard one :ermm:.

I still love DMC 3, its what refined the Devil May Cry formula and made it into what it is today. But I also love the original DMC because well, its the original! DmC is quickly making its way into one of my favourites in the series (I'm having a blast with it! Its the most fun i've had in the series! :D ) .

So my list is:

Devil May Cry 3
DmC
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 4
Devil May Cry 2

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
Devil May Cry 3...not only because of the character, story, soundtrack, atmosphere, and most importantly the game play but because when an action game is going up against anything it has to beat DMC3 or 4...the only game to come close is Bayonetta...which is referred to the sister of Devil May Cry...and Metal Gear Rising is looking really good too...and I find Raiden freaking hot

Rockrobs215

Come on, get up! You can do better than that!
Devil May Cry 1 because even though I started (late as well) on 3, it has my 2nd favorite Dante.

3 was overall great, but only 2 had a worse Dante imho. He had more personality, but he looked like a tool and his personality was kind of a dick tbh

4 because I liked Nero, and even though there were some plot holes, I never cared. Not only that, but this Dante was my personal favorite just because he was a good mix of all 3 versions before him.

DmC is really cool, but I'm still waiting on the full on storm of amazing tech to really up the game's combat to new heights.

2 had my favorite Dante OUTFIT, but he was still a cardboard box and the gameplay was really bland. However, I will give it credit for introducing some new ideas, plus Trish is fun as all hell.

Downfall

1. Vergil's Downfall

I know, I'm cheating. But, it gives Vergil his own story (one exclusive cutscene in DMC3DASE doesn't count) and playable levels, which has never been done before. This list is based on preference, anyway. Leave me alone.

2. DmC

Of course, this is second on my list. Easy to get into, five melee weapons (which has also never been done before) at once and platforming that doesn't rely on PoP shenanigans? Yes, please.

3. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening Special Edition

I like this version more because it doesn't crash like the HD version does sometimes -- and ironically enough, it's in third place, but only because I've played it so much and have actually gotten kind of tired of it. It also has turbo, which turns DMD into DWD (it counts as an added difficulty for me at least, since every split second counts).

I feel bad for not liking the original version more, but DWD and the inclusion of Vergil push it over the top.

However, I still say Vergil's style name should have been more congruent to his actual style ability... something like, "WarpStreamer" or "BladeStalker".

Even something like "SpeedSlasher" or "FearReaper" would have sounded at least slightly less generic than the overused "DarkSlayer".

Come on, the word "dark" is used in about every other game, movie, and book title, and "slayer" is something that I would expect a high school student on a highly popular, smugly written series to use -- not a "Warrior Fallen from Grace".

0003139817883_500X500.jpg

4. DMC4

Doesn't seem that ironic that this is in fourth place since it feels like a rushed product (albeit one with really good gameplay). What really frustrated me was every time Nero Death-Gripped onto a Hellbound, he flies towards it, sometimes missing the intended target. Dante never has that problem since he just warps there (yeah, I know, I'm crap with Nero. I enjoy playing as Dante more anyway, so I don't care).

Yes, I'm crap with Dante, too. I'm still not used to style switching. I admit it.

And at least DmC never forced you to play board games. I almost felt sorry for DMC4 at that point.

Edit:

Why did Dante prance around with confetti and go on a sexual monologue with his latest Devil Arm? Did the creators of DMC4 see Bayonetta looming on the horizon and call Reuben Langdon back in for those scenes?

5. DMC2

I've played this game a lot more than I would care to admit. Not because I liked it, but because I wanted to see what it was like in DMD and LMD (so, Lucia gets her own difficulty title, cutscenes, and game path, but Vergil doesn't? Why??). It was a lot more difficult than I imagined, but this is more due to the fact that the controls weren't all that good and that there are almost no frame-cancels.

Ummm... at least the music was okay. :/

Yeah ok, and the costume was also pretty awesome, too. Too bad the same can't be said about the Diesel outfits... :ermm:

Hm. I seem to have forgotten about DMC1 -- well, I beat it on DMD.... and that's pretty much I have to say on the matter.

I didn't put it on the list because 1) I had forgotten about it, and 2) I just didn't like the gameplay as much as DMC3 and 4. Besides, there's no Aerial Rave. No, Vortex doesn't count. I've seen the "stylish" vids done with DMC1. I'm still not all that impressed. There were just too many limits on the combat engine compared to DMC3.

Besides, the only reason I even put DMC2 on the list because it was just so hilariously bad. Especially the "fake haunted house" look during the last two levels.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
I dont know what people are talking about...all four games were amazing...they were all beast...even DMC 2 which I had a lot of fun...gameplay was good to and Dante was the best looking Dante from all...hell a bunch of the moves from DMC 2 were incorporated into DMC 3 and 4

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
I dont know what people are talking about...all four games were amazing...they were all beast...even DMC 2 which I had a lot of fun...gameplay was good to and Dante was the best looking Dante from all...hell a bunch of the moves from DMC 2 were incorporated into DMC 3 and 4

The two biggest problems with the gameplay was the complete lack of unlockable techniques, and the openness of the environments. While dmc1 was characterized by mostly limiting you to claustrophobic arenas where you have to very carefully mark your opponents to carefully dodge their attacks and set up Wall Jump combos, DMC2 almost entirely focusses on wide open arenas with no obstacles or unique features to them, making it incredibly easy to dodge and single out enemies.

...In fact it's a lot like DmC in that regard...

DissonantDemon

DmC Reignited the feel of being invested in a universe and actually caring what was going to happen to each of the characters, not a perfect game but for me it was exactly what I had wanted all along from a hack and slash.

DMC 3 SE I'll be 70 some odd years old and still playing through this game again and again. To me it's a game that will
never age. A classic.

DMC 1 The atmosphere and musical tone was much different than the rest and that's exactly what made it so unique. I play it and feel immersed in some kind of dark gothic trance.

DMC 2 Bad game, no. Bad DMC game based on the standards it had set with the game before, yeah.
It had it's own tone and a much more arcade combat and feel. And that's exactly how I play and what I expect
from it. I enjoyed it and still do.

DMC 4 I dislike it highly. The characters, the storyline, so many parts felt tacked on. I didn't enjoy backtracking
for half the game. I didn't care much for Nero or Dante's strange crazy uncle persona. The setting and
atmosphere seemed so distant. The first and only Devil May Cry game I just could not enjoy.

That being said. This is ranked off of my enjoyment of the games and how Invested I am into each one.
Not, which game had better combat and so on. I get it. Flock off.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
DmC Reignited the feel of being invested in a universe and actually caring what was going to happen to each of the characters, not a perfect game but for me it was exactly what I had wanted all along from a hack and slash.

DMC 3 SE I'll be 70 some odd years old and still playing through this game again and again. To me it's a game that will
never age. A classic.

DMC 1 The atmosphere and musical tone was much different than the rest and that's exactly what made it so unique. I play it and feel immersed in some kind of dark gothic trance.

DMC 2 Bad game, no. Bad DMC game based on the standards it had set with the game before, yeah.
It had it's own tone and a much more arcade combat and feel. And that's exactly how I play and what I expect
from it. I enjoyed it and still do.

DMC 4 I dislike it highly. The characters, the storyline, so many parts felt tacked on. I didn't enjoy backtracking
for half the game. I didn't care much for Nero or Dante's strange crazy uncle persona. The setting and
atmosphere seemed so distant. The first and only Devil May Cry game I just could not enjoy.

That being said. This is ranked off of my enjoyment of the games and how Invested I am into each one.
Not, which game had better combat and so on. I get it. Flock off.

Nicely put.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom