• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What's the public opinion on Nero?

What do you think of Nero?

• I want him GONE

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I didn't like him

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • He's just OK

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • I thought he was great

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Hes my FAVORITE!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Never liked him, he is such a whiny little baby, was hoping he had grown out of that since 4 but nope

Shame too as his voice actor is far more talented than the lines and story written for nero, i want to go solely back to dante or to vergil

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
His concept art was interesting but I didn't click with the final product.

I don't mind retiring Dante and creating a new lead. I just don't feel Nero worked for me in the two entries he's been in.

I rather they retire him and start fresh with a new cast of characters seperate from the Sparda family drama.

Last edited:

Deleted_User

such a whiny little baby, was hoping he had grown out of that since 4 but nope

Shame too as his voice actor is far more talented than the lines an
Agreed, it felt like they didn't age him between 4 and 5... I was fine with him being immature in 4 because he's a teen, but in 5? That's an adult....

Deleted_User

His concept art was interesting but I didn't click with the final product.

I don't mind retiring Dante and creating a new lead. I just don't feel Nero worked for me in the two entries he's been in.

I rather they retire him and start fresh with a new cast of characters seperate from the Sparda family drama.
Same. Still waiting on that ladytrish game....

Cosmefulanito94

The Nero from DMC4 was a cheap DMC3 Dante, a character cocky, sarcastic, energetic with some itself incarnation like rude and foul-mouthed. A bored protagonist and future face of DMC series.
The Nero from DMC5 is ok, he has a little of development, a personal caracterization and not a copy of his father/uncle.

The problem is if Dante or Vergil(because now is alive) aren´t going to be in a hipotetycal DMC6, the rage of the fandom will destroy Nero and the game per se (in the reveal trailer of DMC5, some people didn´t watch the final scene with Dante on Cavaliere and they started to insult the game)

Deleted_User

The Nero from DMC4 was a cheap DMC3 Dante, a character cocky, sarcastic, energetic with some itself incarnation like rude and foul-mouthed. A bored protagonist and future face of DMC series.
The Nero from DMC5 is ok, he has a little of development, a personal caracterization and not a copy of his father/uncle.
I think he was actually quite different from DMC3 Dante in 4. For one, he has a girlfriend XD, and he was distinctly more emotional. Not a bad thing, I think he had some potential... if they matured him at all between 4 and 5.
I also feel like since 3, they've been trying to make Dante more like his teen self. I really liked him in 1 and 2, and it wasn't like he never said quips or was goofy in those games, but in 4 and 5... I dunno how to describe it.
The problem is if Dante or Vergil(because now is alive) aren´t going to be in a hipotetycal DMC6, the rage of the fandom will destroy Nero and the game per se (in the reveal trailer of DMC5, some people didn´t watch the final scene with Dante on Cavaliere and they started to insult the game)
True, true. Hell hath no wrath like a gamer who's special guy isn't in the next installment.
Y'know, we could avoid this all together by making Lady and Trish the protagoni- *12 TRAINS PASS BY BLOCKING THE REST OF MY CRAZY RANT*

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I find it funny people compare dmc4 nero to dante from 3, in 3 dante matured over the course of the game and got his priorities in place and did what he had to for a cause he found faith in thanks to lady

Nero spends most of 4 crying and whinging, then goes on in 5 to get hung up for the entire game on being called a light weight, had he shown growth then maybe he could be redeemed.As it stands though, he is still one of the biggest moaners in gaming lol.

Goldsickle

I didn't have a problem with Raiden taking the spotlight in MGS2, so I'm open-minded enough to accept him as a protagonist in DMC4.
I actually liked the idea of a "grab" move in a DMC game and welcomed him.

Deleted_User

I didn't have a problem with Raiden taking the spotlight in MGS2, so I'm open-minded enough to accept him as a protagonist in DMC4.
I actually liked the idea of a "grab" move in a DMC game and welcomed him.
You can probably tell by my layout how I feel about Raiden...
I just feel like DMC5 dropped the ball.

Goldsickle

Devil May Cry is a good example why you should give a "general" title to your series.
If this was called "Devil Hunter Dante", then changing the focus or shifting to a different protagonist becomes harder or you have to change the title, like "Devil Hunter Dante Chronicles: Nero's Ascension" or some s*** like that.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I didn't like 4's story much but I wasn't fond of the anime either. Right now I'm more excited about the upcoming animated series than a potential DMC6. It's done by the people behind the Castlevania series. It's a fresh new take so they could write a version of Nero that I might like.

Fingers crossed y'all.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
The Dante wannabe @Cosmefulanito94 memtioned are due to his design and demeanor. He just felt more of the same than anything really different. Or the new aspects he had like Fortuna, kyrie, nico or the bringer didn't keep my interest.

4 might've worked better had they lead with the vergil connection but outside of that hook Nero didn't work for me.

I am curious what 4 would've been like if Nero was the only playable protagonist but they would have to expand on him further. Maybe 6 can be that game?

@Lain
Details are scarce so I'm unsure about Nero popping up. Last thing we learned was it focused on Dante, Lady and Vergil so it sounds unlikely.

We could learn more about Nero's mom and why he was left in Fortuna.

Last edited:
Top Bottom