• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What're you reading?

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
This is a thread in which you share with us the book(s) that you are reading, say how you'd rate it and why.

Mine's "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell
I'd rate it with four stars as it is accessable, dystopian fiction with an enthralling plot and great innovation. The only downside would be that the characters don't really develop over the course of the book.

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
The whole death note manga, 5* because it has a ind bending plot that is an amazing piece of work, , brilliant set to read, even in your have watched the anime

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
Vauxchen;109777 said:
The whole death note manga, 5* because it has a ind bending plot that is an amazing piece of work, , brilliant set to read, even in your have watched the anime

I'll have to check them out!:cool:

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
another good series is skulduggery pleasant, i read the 1st book, and i need to read the 2nd, a 5* series definitely

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
Sounds good.

One of my favourites is "The Song of Albion" trilogy by Stephen Lawhead. It's an epic celtic fantasy that's so well written I read all three books in one day. 5* for all three books.;)

Bad Wolf

32 flavors and then some
I'm reading Silverthorn by Raymond E. Feist. Nothing new by way of the fantasy genre, but still fairly entertaining.

Stylish Nereezy

the lone soul reaper
Tao of Jeet Kune Do

yea Bruce Lee's book on the style he created

i read various parts of this book all the time. this book has moved me in ways i can't even explain. one of my favorite books ever

Janny

Dines with dementia
The Phantarch;109775 said:
Mine's "Nineteen Eighty Four" by George Orwell
I'd rate it with four stars as it is accessable, dystopian fiction with an enthralling plot and great innovation. The only downside would be that the characters don't really develop over the course of the book.

Totally agree on the non-char development... This is the only book I've read because I loved the idea, but hated the character's guts. The end is pretty damn awesome though.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Just recently finished the Iliad by Homer which I would rate a 5 (although I'm sure something is lost in translation) as it is original, full of poetic language and fast paced enough to keep your attention. The Greeks sure knew how to write stuff....

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
The ancient Greeks held many genii to themselves... Homer, Aristotle, Socrates and Plato amongst others.

I've finished Nineteen Eighty-Four and in the Dystopian genre have moved onto "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Attwood.
Many would give this a 5* but at present I am struggling to see why.
The character development is good and the descriptions are vivid but it has such a snail like pace that does not seem to be building up to anything, almost contrary to the very nature of Dystopian texts. At present I would give it two and a half to three stars. It seems very average, poor for a considered classic.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Who gets to define what a classic is anyway? I've always been curious about that...

Will be shortly re-reading the Wheel of Time again by Robert Jordan which gets a respectable 4 out of five as it's an incredible tale but sometimes so intricately complex that it can lose its own storyline in the intricacies...but I do love it :D

King Avallach

Deity of the Old World
Angel;110107 said:
Who gets to define what a classic is anyway? I've always been curious about that...

Will be shortly re-reading the Wheel of Time again by Robert Jordan which gets a respectable 4 out of five as it's an incredible tale but sometimes so intricately complex that it can lose its own storyline in the intricacies...but I do love it :D

My guess is a bunch of self proclaimed literary connoisseurs who find a text that is at least passable and very old, then they dub it a 'classic'.

Wheel of time, Sounds like an interesting read.:cool:

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
It really is - shame Robert Jordan died before he could complete it, but someone else is writing the final book and I hope he doesn't mess with it too much.

When I first read the Eye of the World, it scared the crap out of me with the desciptive dialogue and the whole host of evil characters/beings Jordan invented. It has its own glossary, languages, cultures and yet is very far removed from a Tolkein-esque creation so you don't find yourself going "Yeah, nice try but this is just plagiarism really".

This is dedication to your art at some of its' best...

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
^ You know you shouldn't read that. It gives you nightmares...

No sympathy from me when you wake up screaming for Postman Pat instead...

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Just finished Eye of the World by Robert Jordan and Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
i just read this book called vampire interupted...i loved it but i don't know how i would rate it cuz i do not currently have it in my pocession.

Top Bottom