• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What was Mundus's big evil plan?

Emperor Damas

In DMC 1, Dante wanted to stop Mundus from invading the human world. But why were demons evil? Why was it bad for them to inhabit the Earth? Their ugliness? Scariness? No. They had evil goals.

Did Mundus want to wipe out the entire human race, or just subjugate them somehow?

How could demons/devils invade the entire world? What was their intention?

Again, video game stories are usually filled with plot holes...

seraphmaycry

In DMC 1, Dante wanted to stop Mundus from invading the human world. But why were demons evil? Why was it bad for them to inhabit the Earth? Their ugliness? Scariness? No. They had evil goals.

Did Mundus want to wipe out the entire human race, or just subjugate them somehow?

well it would seem to me that mundus was getting his powers because he grow beyond spardas power in dmc3 it was revealed that demons humands and angels where all one so mundus would aim for that goal, to absorb all humans and angels into the race of demons make a single race where he is king and rules

then there is the invading the world thing did you think perhaps that there where more demons then humans? in the anime it was proven there are more then one demon hunting businesses in the dmc universe all of these hunters would have to be around the skill level of at least lady or just below to survive long enough to "make" a business and in fact demons have invaded majority of people where revealed to be demons in the anime spardas seal could stop the into population and the weaker demons managed to slip under it or find ways around it but the toughest where sealed tightly sparda missed abbigail
and the big bad demon of dmc2 had to be summoned with a ritual involving who knows what exactly?

V

Oldschool DMC fan

"IN THE BEGINNING THERE WAS A WAR. BETWEEN THE HUMAN WORLD AND THE OTHER, THE UNDERWORLD. BUT SOMEBODY FROM THE UNDERWORLD WOKE UP TO JUSTICE, AND STOOD UP AGAINST THIS LEGION"

And

MUNDUS: "I will return, and I will rule this world"

Tells you:

a) Mundus wants to rule the human world by force (i.e. against their will)
b) The use of the word 'justice' implies he was unjust in his methods, therefore 'evil' by human standards
c) The fact there was a war which he lost and he wants to return, implies a 'vendetta' against humans for it
d) The use of the word 'rule' seems to imply he wants to enslave humans rather than destroy them and their world
e) By saying "this world" and not "the world" he sort of implies he wants to annex the Human World to his own; he wants to conquer it and be its 'Emperor', as he already is in the Demon World (or return it to the state of being his if it was so originally)

It's implied in the manga (if you consider that canon) that demons already ruled the human world in "the beginning", where humans were slaves; Sparda fought the demons off and separated the two worlds so that humans could be free. According to the canon of the first game's intro though, we don't know if there was a war as a result of a rebellion by humans, or that the war was an invasion of the human world. But we do know that demons were in the human world, and because demons are evidently stronger than humans, they needed a saviour like Sparda to save them. So yes, demons invaded the entire world and Sparda kicked them out again— we just don't know the details of how that happened.

Why are demons evil? It's moot in the game— I personally think the concept of 'evil' is there as a human perception of demon life, not a real state (because in the games 1-4 at least there are no 'angels' or 'good' counterparts to the 'evil' demons, nobody to have 'created' them, no antithesis for them but Sparda himself, who is also one of them). While there are things like 'ignis fatuus' or 'holy water' and stuff like that that pertain to more religious ideas of good and evil, it seems to me that there was no absolute 'good' or 'evil' really pushed (no God or Satan figures as such, Mundus is just the 'devil king' and Sparda may be a Jesus figure but he is also a devil); and demons simply worshipped the ideals of strength, fleshly desires, oppress the weak and obey the strong, etc.

From what I can gather, it's an amalgam. The fact Dante is half devil and yet is a good guy somewhat proves that good and evil are nebulous concepts in this game series, and that you are meant to accept that. I think we regard the demons as 'evil' but they are just ruthless and power-hungry creatures, some that enjoy the suffering of others, even their own. Perhaps a sort of supernatural self-proclaimed 'master race' rather than anything irredeemably "evil" by nature. After all, Vergil is not completely evil and has a sense of honour about him, Beowulf appears to value the concept of loyalty and is upset for being betrayed by Sparda, and Sparda himself became empathetic and compassionate, etc.

The demons are 'evil' as far as humans are concerned, but I don't think they are as such. They're just another form of life in the game universe, a (generally) more cruel and predatory form than humans are. Compassion or empathy appears to be what separates humans from devils in this game universe, and Sparda from his own kind, redefining him as a hero to humans.

LADY says it best: "There are humans as evil as any devil, as well as kind and compassionate demons in this universe." As in, she was wrong to assume they were all just pure evil.

DmC may throw all of this out of the window with its 'angels' and Lilith and Mundus indicated to be Satan and whatever else, but we're in the main Devil May Cry board here and I'm not going into whatever DmC may or may not be. I'm not considering it a true Devil May Cry game at this point.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Only if the boys and girls can't handle the fact that it is merely my opinion; or the fact that it has deliberately and strategically been called "DmC" and not "Devil May Cry 5" in order to tentatively separate it off from the former games. Or that the reason I mentioned it at all was to point out that I am considering games 1-4 and not that game because it has major canonical differences to the rest. Or should I edit the word "true" out so people don't start freaking out? Where's the eyeroll emote.

seraphmaycry

well auctually if you think about it being shut out of the human world for 2000 years would make you angry imma agree with lexy on his points demons are no more evil then science it can they can easily be used ofr mayhem and death but withsome ethics and morales it can be amazingly brilliant the only problem being that demons have no morales or values other wanting power

berto

I Saw the Devil
*sigh*

The devil wants to rule the world and you wonder how that's a bad thing?

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Mundus' big evil plan is to rule mankind so he can own Starbucks...

On a more serious note. He images himself of that of a God. When we see him in Devil May Cry he has angelic wings. In this it gives us the impression that he is angelic. However at a later stage when you face him, Mundus is in a much different and much more grotesque form. So it would seem as if the way in which he chooses to show himself is how he sees fit. Underneath he is just the big bad guy looking to rule over our World as well as his own already. He possesses greed, an inexplicable amount of it. He also reminds me of Lucifer. The angel cast out of Heaven and banished to Hell. The fallen angel image he gives off. The fact that maybe he wants to rule our World because it would mean to get revenge on whomever imprisoned him in the first place. It's all interesting stuff... :)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
First time, just because he can

Second time, he wanted revenge on sparda for rebelling so he decided to ruin the image Sparda has by wrecking everything he held near and dear.

Primordium

From shadow to shadow...
Subjugation and overall power over the Human World and the Demon World, in the ever going conquest to be the ruler of both.

Top Bottom