• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What is Vergil's Sword Style?

Railazel

I know this has come up multiple times but I have forgotten the answer. I know a part of it is Iaijutsu but that's not all of it since he uses the scabbard as a means of striking as well. Is it Bikenjutsu?

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
I know this has come up multiple times but I have forgotten the answer. I know a part of it is Iaijutsu but that's not all of it since he uses the scabbard as a means of striking as well. Is it Bikenjutsu?

Very interesting question i know that tojutsu the generalized word for sword technique and that itto seiho means loosley "one sword set" and that iajutsu i believe is the art of drawing the sword so then the only one left is the term for using the sheath or scabbard in a fight as well

Railazel

Very interesting question i know that tojutsu the generalized word for sword technique and that itto seiho means loosley "one sword set" and that iajutsu i believe is the art of drawing the sword so then the only one left is the term for using the sheath or scabbard in a fight as well

It seems for his scabbard hits, he's using a form of bikenjutsu that focuses on a weapon called the shikomizue (or joto, aka japanese swordstick).

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Pretty made up in general. No one in their right mind would fight like Vergil realistically.

this i agree with only because his yamato style (in dmc3 i have yet to try the reboot) seems limited in variety and range

IncarnatedDemon

Foolishness controlls Fools, without Foolishness You cant Fool yourself.

roflbot.jpg

My swordstyle by the way is Foolishness, but you can call it Foolishness.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
.....................................................................................................ok?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Not true.

That's not really proving anything dude. That just looks like some motion capture vid they were doing during development of DMC 3. Choreographed fight scenes.

If you were in a real sword fight then you wouldn't be constantly sheathing and unsheathing your sword. Just common sense really. It was really a fighting style to help get the quick upper hand. Drawing the sword and making controlled and precise strikes. Ones that really wouldn't leave you alive afterwards. There's lots of different variations on it but you don't see Vergil sporting a legit display of it. He's fighting monsters and is also basically a superhero too being able to do things that no normal person can do so there's that too.

Since DMC 3 is fiction you can totally have him do that stuff because they just want to make it look cool. DMC ain't no training video.

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
That's not really proving anything dude. That just looks like some motion capture vid they were doing during development of DMC 3. Choreographed fight scenes.

If you were in a real sword fight then you wouldn't be constantly sheathing and unsheathing your sword. Just common sense really. It was really a fighting style to help get the quick upper hand. Drawing the sword and making controlled and precise strikes. Ones that really wouldn't leave you alive afterwards. There's lots of different variations on it but you don't see Vergil sporting a legit display of it. He's fighting monsters and is also basically a superhero too being able to do things that no normal person can do so there's that too.

Since DMC 3 is fiction you can totally have him do that stuff because they just want to make it look cool. DMC ain't no training video.

Isnt there a japanese sword fighting style based off the drawing of the sword though? anyone know whether or not they resheath there swords and then draw again? i mean i know his style isnt practical in the long run especially against demons lol

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Isnt there a japanese sword fighting style based off the drawing of the sword though? anyone know whether or not they resheath there swords and then draw again? i mean i know his style isnt practical in the long run especially against demons lol

Well there is. Multiple ones actually it's just, you don't see it done like Vergil. So while you can say the foundation of his fighting style is inspired by laido it still is for the most part just very made up because they want to make some cool looking fight scenes.

Railazel

Pretty made up in general. No one in their right mind would fight like Vergil realistically.

Well that's just ruins the point of me asking the question.

I mean, yeah, the effects of his movements are exaggerated but, for the most part, his swordplay is pretty realistic.

From the research I've done, I was right in my last post. Vergil's style is centered on the swordplay of a weapon called the cane- sword where ninjas in disguise would hide their swords in a cane. The Iaijutsu involved would be used to make unsheathing more efficient so as to make quicker and stronger strikes. Overall, it seems like his style is based on the mechanics involved in using an uchigatana (a shortsword).

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
Well that's just ruins the point of me asking the question.

I mean, yeah, the effects of his movements are exaggerated but, for the most part, his swordplay is pretty realistic.

From the research I've done, I was right in my last post. Vergil's style is centered on the swordplay of a weapon called the cane- sword where ninjas in disguise would hide their swords in a cane. The Iaijutsu involved would be used to make unsheathing more efficient so as to make quicker and stronger strikes. Overall, it seems like his style is based on the mechanics involved in using an uchigatana (a shortsword).

sounds about right

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
this i agree with only because his yamato style (in dmc3 i have yet to try the reboot) seems limited in variety and range

reboot vergil has a lot more moves with yamato as it has angel and demon moves as well as regular moves and he has a few moves regular vergil didnt with it for regular attacks too

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
reboot vergil has a lot more moves with yamato as it has angel and demon moves as well as regular moves and he has a few moves regular vergil didnt with it for regular attacks too

I am def looking forward to that the only reason i dont have him as my avi is honestly because i dont like how he looks lol his clothes are cool as far as im concerned but i hte what they have done to his appearance and i heard they screwed up his up his personality too lol

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
ya but he is meant to be different and he is a serious combattant plus he has doppleganger and angel and demon doppleganger too so you can do massive combos and damage with him

VOLPE

SSStylish Swordsman
ya but he is meant to be different and he is a serious combattant plus he has doppleganger and angel and demon doppleganger too so you can do massive combos and damage with him

Interesting..still i cant find a good photo of him lol

Top Bottom