• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What is art?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Art is creativity and imagination. It's a mode of expression, ie, dancing, painting, music, writing. You shouldn't need to give backstory to evoke emotion. Words, sounds, pictures, movement, it all SPEAKS FOR ITSELF. That's art. You can interpret it any way you like, but interpretation is down to individual perspective. My friend thinks the Mona Lisa is bittersweet, I think it's mysterious. Maybe the artist meant for it to be sentimental, or romantic, or maybe he was more focussed on his technique than conveying a message.

Art is not the bedroom garbage someone mentioned before. That is not creative, that is not thinking outside the box. It lacks. A LOT. Nor is painting a dot on a big canvas art. Nope, nope, I'm sorry, that's not what art is.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
Art is the sensory representation of human culture. And human culture encompasses everything, because we live in a world that we see and define through a filter, colored in the light of our culture.

I know that sounded very vague, but basically, whatever you wish to be art, is art. That said, IMO, art does need to have some meaning. It needs to have some kind of emotion or concept behind it. If you just randomly throw some bricks on top of each other, and then acknowledge that there was no reason or thought behind it, I doubt you could call that art.

Top Bottom