• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What is art?

Viper

Premium
What is art? Is political statement made through a shocking performance really art or just a political statement done through a way that is bound to get you noticed? Is a social experiment done on unknowing citizens really art or just harassment of people who never agreed to it?

Art is something beautiful, romantic, emotional... Art is supposed to amaze us...

Is art faking fire from a gallery to observe reaction of passing citizens? Is art walking naked and lying on each other in town center just because you gave some weird explanation how you are talking about love for the city? Where is the line between exhibitionism and art?

Inspired by today's event in my city. Folks who walked around naked were arrested, but it's interesting to note that the whole event passed in different atmosphere cause it was called art, than for example if it was just a random crazy person.

The fake fire happened I think last year. People were not pleased.

Viper

Premium
Showing emotions through audio or visual means.

So that picture of a horsey you drew in kindergarten qualifies as art.

And it was the best horsey I ever drew, should have been displayed in Louvre, but they said it has to be on the level of that chick, Mona something.

But while a cute picture is art, no matter how amateurish, cause it fills us with positivity, I don't see how it answers on where do you draw the line with performances? Don't call something art and people scream about political correctness, sexism, racism, think about the children, etc. Call it art and those who do scream are called fools, cause... art, man, art.

Viper

Premium
Let's not talk about modern art. I was few times at modern art museum....uhhh..I dunno how to describe it :dead:
I once saw a highly praised exhibit that was made entirely of black rectangles painted on various sized white canvases. It wasn't even some pattern or optical illusion, it was either one or two black rectangles painted on a canvas.
I didn't get it. I mean, it would have been a nice final touch in a living space, but... I didn't get it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I once saw a highly praised exhibit that was made entirely of black rectangles painted on various sized white canvases. It wasn't even some pattern or optical illusion, it was either one or two black rectangles painted on a canvas.
I didn't get it. I mean, it would have been a nice final touch in a living space, but... I didn't get it.
Well...I saw piece of fat lying on pelts...that's it. nothing more..just big compressed piece of fat...

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Well...I saw piece of fat lying on pelts...that's it. nothing more..just big compressed piece of fat...
At times like that, I wonder if the creator is having a joke by putting that sort of thing in an art gallery or exhibit. They're just trying to see what they can get away with I think. It's like that famous art piece which was a toilet, but it was installed the wrong way round. It was sold for a lot of money.

Having said that, I guess it would still be classed as art because it creates discussion about whether it should be art, and it makes people feel strong emotions about it being art or not; and the point of art is to create discussion and evoke emotion or opinion.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
As far as i got this guy was wounded during war, so he covered his leg with pelts and fat to warm it...well and he put into every exhibit of his.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
As far as i got this guy was wounded during war, so he covered his leg with pelts and fat to warm it...well and he put into every exhibit of his.
Ah, now that makes sense. So, if people do not know the story behind this and why it has meaning to the artist, then they would not understand the message he is trying to convey with the exhibit.

That's the thing with art. Many people can look at one piece of art and have many meanings or feelings about it.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I think it's actually problem with modern art. many modernists are putting stuff out that's on their minds, but thats barely comprehendible for most of us, because we don't know background.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I don't know what art is - it seems to change depending on who is talking about it or making it or whatever.

What I do despise is when someone does little more than paint-vomit on some canvas and ask for 3 million for it. And some idiot pays up. My kids could do that but we wouldn't get anything for it.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
My kids could do that but we wouldn't get anything for it.
Reminds me of Tracey Emin who sold her bed covered in mess and all sorts and sold it for 2 million.
It's annoying seeing the rich pretending to go gaga over something that looks like spilled ketchup on a cardboard box.
We should all try this out -- and then turn it into a reality show.

BEDMESS: HIGHWAY ROBBERY

WHO WILL RIP THESE IDIOTS OFF THE MOST??

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Reminds me of Tracey Emin who sold her bed covered in mess and all sorts and sold it for 2 million. Why?! I do not understand this.

I think that's because

a) the Brit "contemporary art scene" is kind of a running joke. Seriously, it's like the Emperor's New Clothes or something, with a bunch of people up there talking about how great a pile of bricks or a bed is. To the point they might even have started to believe it. But really I think it's just to keep themselves in jobs/residences, and convince others this stuff has worth and needs funding.

b) it was just shock value. "Here, my bed is art" and she won a prize for being different. Ever since, people have aspired to doing the same, instead of learning a real craft or ability to use artistically. As an artist by trade, it all kinda makes me wanna puke.

Hirst is the other one, comes up with pretentious-sounding titles for dead animals and works he didn't even make himself. He's a businessman, not an artist. A pretty good one by all evidence, but only because people buy into this stuff. All the value of it is imaginary, he won some prizes too which got his name out there. Otherwise his art would probably be pretty worthless, barring the diamond skull thing ofc.

Top Bottom