• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What did Tameem do to make everyone hate him?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yeah, I used to link to his twitter all the time. I read it for updates, and use info from it for a knowledge primer I made about DmC before it had released. All I have is my word now, unfortunately, which I know means zilch on the in'ersniff, but I vividly remember that exchange, because at the time many detractors liked to use it as evidence that he didn't care and was abusive to the fans, even though his tweet was a response to someone being quite asinine, criticizing a feature that worked as it should because it didn't work the way they wanted it to, and called it something broken that should be fixed.

In the end, Tameem may have said a view things that worked against him, but at the same time there were many who simply distorted his words to take offense and make the PR seem worse.

Plus, after seeing the sh!t that guy went through, I can understand why he sometimes acted the way he did. Having worked in customer service for nearly a decade, I subscribe to the belief of not being respectful of a person just because they're a potential customer - if they act like a little sh!t, they're going to get the same in return after a while. The customer is certainly not always right.

And with much of the criticism that Tameem had an uncaring attitude toward in the months after the game's original announcement, it's difficult to care when people were criticizing him for things they knew nothing about. The rumors that ran rampant were many, and the people who foolishly believed them were even more. People criticized over things they lacked context for. It's like the idea of people criticizing DmC for having Vergil be a protagonist, crying that "He's supposed to be a villain!" when they most certainly didn't have all the information. In the end, look who turned into an antagonist :p

Tameem has gotten way too much vitriol aimed directly at him, how can anyone say the things he did weren't at least vaguely justified. People were attacking him for doing his job! And it's not like he was like...a cigarette marketer, or a dude who worked at a slaughter house, he makes video games.
I just looked at that twitter link and wtf? It's people like that that make me wish I wasn't a fan sometimes. If the NT guys and Kamiya had a comeback or two for people like that then they are fully justified not to just sit back and take that kind of bs. These are still just people doing their jobs and they're acting like they ran over their dog or something.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Okay, so let's be serious now.

DmC turned out nothing like what "Tameen and friends" said it would in therms of being this "huge leap from the old series".
Dante still is a lot like in DMC3, Eva is now an angel but it just happens that no other angel shows up in the game and she looks a lot like a human herself (she also acts like a human, so there's really nothing to portray her as an angel apart from graffiti in the walls.).
The title says "Devil May Cryyyyy".
Characters still dress in "peculiar fashion", just moving from 'anime' to 'street' or something like that. Well, Vergil's outfit still is quite "unreal".

And I want to list more things, and will list them when I get over my sloth.

The thing is, developers talk a lot of crap sometimes, but just because Dr. House is a dick, it doesn't mean I won't let him cure my disease (which most likely it's not lupus).

8BitHero

Scrub
Your not on my block list. I sensed that your only replying to me to just defend DmC and Tameem without even being cool about it. That is my opinion, and because of it i choosed to ignore your post.
I'm actually more or less neutral on this whole thing. I even explained on page 3(third time now) that tolerance works both ways but you seem to only focus on Tameem pushing his views when you are guilty of doing the same without realising it. This entire thread wouldn't be 7 pages long if people would see it that way but nooOOooo.

The whole of Dante's playthrough was light hearted and generally non-serious so I wouldn't say that's offensive in any way. It's just FFFFFFF---FFFF---Fun! Dante being Dante.

Thanks for reminding me how great the cut scenes are when you're playing as Dante.
That's all I was saying. If only people would apply that to DmC. It's for fun, but when it's DmC it's "Oh it's super serious. Better take everything seriously".

This thread is lulzorz

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Well, one could argue that due to the fan reaction, it is a huge leap from the old series.

NostalgicRobotX

Yeah, I used to link to his twitter all the time. I read it for updates, and use info from it for a knowledge primer I made about DmC before it had released. All I have is my word now, unfortunately, which I know means zilch on the in'ersniff, but I vividly remember that exchange, because at the time many detractors liked to use it as evidence that he didn't care and was abusive to the fans, even though his tweet was a response to someone being quite asinine, criticizing a feature that worked as it should because it didn't work the way they wanted it to, and called it something broken that should be fixed.

In the end, Tameem may have said a view things that worked against him, but at the same time there were many who simply distorted his words to take offense and make the PR seem worse.

Plus, after seeing the sh!t that guy went through, I can understand why he sometimes acted the way he did. Having worked in customer service for nearly a decade, I subscribe to the belief of not being respectful of a person just because they're a potential customer - if they act like a little sh!t, they're going to get the same in return after a while. The customer is certainly not always right.

And with much of the criticism that Tameem had an uncaring attitude toward in the months after the game's original announcement, it's difficult to care when people were criticizing him for things they knew nothing about. The rumors that ran rampant were many, and the people who foolishly believed them were even more. People criticized over things they lacked context for. It's like the idea of people criticizing DmC for having Vergil be a protagonist, crying that "He's supposed to be a villain!" when they most certainly didn't have all the information. In the end, look who turned into an antagonist :p

Tameem has gotten way too much vitriol aimed directly at him, how can anyone say the things he did weren't at least vaguely justified. People were attacking him for doing his job! And it's not like he was like...a cigarette marketer, or a dude who worked at a slaughter house, he makes video games.

So I assume the Twitter was indeed taken offline, so now it stems to different statements entirely. I won't argue about it then because neither of us have anything in relation, I have no reason to not believe you, it's just we will never accomplish anything arguing about something we can't even see anymore.

I understand the justification on a personal level; you were in Customer Service, so I can at least assume that beyond your personal beliefs, you still had a job-specifc obligation to put up with morons, and if you wanted to keep your job, you were to follow these guidelines, even if it went against you personal belief and maybe logic. I completely understand though, and I have no desire to argue which side weighed more heavily on blame, I am perfectly aware of the idiocy of the DMC fanbase, both old and new. I don't think we can really argue personal standards anyway, because everyone just ends up getting more ingrained in their original belief. My original post was pointing out to the OP his question of "what-did Tameem do to make everyone hate him" but even looking back, that's such a widely scoped question, that I couldn't possibly answer it with any form of accuracy if I tried.

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
DmC shouldn't be taken super serious. It can get serious, but not the whole game. When I played Dmc3 it too had it's serious moments as well. Remember the exchange betweent lady and Dante before he want of to stop her father and his brother? I hope that makes sense? :/ by the wyh..... what dose showing Dante's legs considered sexualizeing him? I tried following fhis thread but got lost.... -.-

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
DmC shouldn't be taken super serious. It can get serious, but not the whole game. When I played Dmc3 it too had it's serious moments as well. Remember the exchange betweent lady and Dante before he want of to stop her father and his brother? I hope that makes sense? :/ by the wyh..... what dose showing Dante's legs considered sexualizeing him? I tried following fhis thread but got lost.... -.-
Yep, DMC3 had a mix of serious, then moments that were over the top crazy.:lol:

As for legs being sexual or sexualised....I guess that's in the eye of the beholder, kinda subjective.

Frantix

I set no goalposts, and I have made no exceptions, Tameem should have acted to a higher standard if his intention was not to be criticized for what he commented on. It comes down to me simply addressing common complains for at least an accurate representation from the people that apparently "hate" Tameem, this was directed at the OP entirely, not to argue about what is and isn't taboo. People were offended by his comments and actions, and that's what it comes down to, no goalposts have been set. I will not argue that Kamiya is better or worse than Tameem because it's not fair to either of them or relevant.

Out of context on two fronts, this was me criticizing you for setting goalposts for PR. The best accurate comparison is "This guys isn't bad, because this guy is just as bad if not worse." Once again, I would be glad to talk about how Kamiya is a terrible PR, and although not hated as much as Tameem, makes simple mistakes that are just as stupid.

The statement was most likely out of context, but we have no way of confirming or denying the statements validity, unless you personally have a reliable source, all I can find is images at the moment and they could easily be made with a simple html injection. From a personal standpoint, he has every right to defend himself, but he also represented a product and set himself up originally for calling out either fans or criticism. (I honestly can not tell, from one angle it looked like he said he doesn't care about anything, but from the other hand it can easily have been appeal to people who shout unfair criticism)

Just because Kamiya gets asked about DMC and DmC on twitter, does not mean he has any influence or direct relation to the series, they are external relationships created by a third party. I also am perfectly aware that Kamiya has been a prick to his fanbase, no link necessary, I also fail to understand what you hope to accomplish with it in the first place. There would be no reason to change my viewpoint on Tameem if my viewpoint on Kamiya changed, I do not scale and set my goalposts, you shouldn't either.

I have an open mind, and am easily influenced with something that makes sense, no need to just let it go, as long as both parties are willing to a change of thought than productive debate can't bring any harm.
Honestly, this is the last post I'm making on this. I don't think you're quite getting me, and maybe I'm not getting you either on some level. I'm in favor of having a debate, but we're just not gelling on a fundamental level, which just makes this discourse pointless.
I don't see what's to be offended by this interaction. The video was stupid. It wasn't a glitch, it was a particular quirk that existed within the confines of the particular mechanisms that where in use. The guy wanted to make an issue of it, Antoniades commented on how silly it made the player look, and that was it. I haven't seen anyone else bring it up since around that time, and people who did wanted to make an issue of something that wasn't one to begin with. The fact that we're discussing it now like this is silly. It doesn't represent some defining or all encompassing moment for NT's PR, it was just some guy wanting to make a jab to a guy he hates. That was all.
Yes, you are correct - Kamiya doesn't have influence over the franchise, obviously. But people who keep pestering him over twitter still view him as the face of the series and the one they look to for information. Which he commonly complains about. They certainly want to hold him in higher regard than Antoniades. Again, this is about discourse via twitter. Fans view Antoniades as the face of this particular title, while they also view Kamiya as the face of the entire franchise. Does it make sense, no, but that's just how it is.
I ain't setting goalposts either, friend. I'm just assumed by two different developers from two different companies doing PR for the same game franchise. The one who had absolutely nothing to do with the new game was held in higher regard than the one who was working on it, even though the former was dismissive of fans for the most part.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Well, one could argue that due to the fan reaction, it is a huge leap from the old series.
Fan-reaction is mostly due to the "skin" of DmC. There is swearing, there is the wig joke, the combat has different controls...

But is not really that big of a leap. So much that you can still see enough similarities between the games to compare DmC to it's "prequels". For example, the difficulty thing. Son of Sparda may not be DMC3's "very hard", but is not the "noob friendly" son of sparda that the internet may try to convince people.

DmC still is focused on "arcadey" hack n' slash action, with quite some room for advanced combat. Well, not in the bosses, but let's not talk about them.
DmC has a different "skin" and "controls", but is on the same page with previous DMC when it comes to being Devil May Cry.

I swear I'm going to make a list of why sometime.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
In most threads i've seen you comment "This thread will..." something.
Do you want the threads to go to hell? Because i tell you my friend, your contributing to making it happen with your comments.

*Looks at thread*

Yeah, i'm to blame...
tumblr_m5cyvnkbZJ1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
I do so enjoy how all these supporters of the game say "Tameem was just doing his job!"

He was doing his job, and then some.

Tameem's job was just to inform us of the game, it wasn't his job to say he doesn't care what fans think, it wasn't his job to say old Dante isn't cool anymore, it wasn't his job to bash Bayonetta.

DragonMaster2010

I do so enjoy how all these supporters of the game say "Tameem was just doing his job!"

Tameem's job was just to inform us of the game, it wasn't his job to say he doesn't care what fans think, it wasn't his job to say old Dante isn't cool anymore, it wasn't his job to bash Bayonetta.

So what do you expect him to say in interviews when those questions come up?

mrrandomlulz

So what do you expect him to say in interviews when those questions come up?
Something that was PROFESSIONAL, if he openly comes out and says he doesn't care about the FANS, the CONSUMER.

Then why the **** would he had expected us to buy his game?

also
1298746685410n129885834.jpg

AlchemistFromEden

just like it isn't miyamoto's job to have a pikmin inside his suit pocket, or to come out on stage with casual as hell clothing and a life size replica of skyward sword items, -_- btw, AND THIS IS TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO BLATANTLY LIES TO THEMSELVES AND THE REST OF THE FORUM WHEN THEY SAY THAT TAMEEM HAS BASHED BAYONETTA, READ THIS OVER AND OVER UNTIL YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS THAT HE NEVER BASHED BAYONETTA

Ninja Theory creative director, Tameem Antoniades had this to say during a recent interview regarding Bayonetta; when asked if he thought Bayonetta looked “cool”:
“Personally, I don’t. I love the game. I think it’s awesome. It’s taken everything — it’s just gone to a total extreme. But in terms of, ‘Do I think it’s cool?’ No, not at all. I think it’s caricatured and over-the-top and very ‘Japanesey,’ and for that absurd style it does that really well, but that’s not what I want.”
"i don't think bayonetta is cool, i love the game"
he likes the gameplay, but doesn't like the aesthetic or the character, NEWS FLASH, MOST GAME DEVELOPERS DON'T THINK BAYONETTA IS COOL. AND MOST REVIEWS BASED THE CHARACTER FOR BEING CREEPILY SEXUALIZED
"it does it very well, but that's not what i want"
he just doesn't think its cool, how is that bashing it?! seriously, quotes like that needs to stop on its forum

DragonMaster2010

Something that was PROFESSIONAL, if he openly comes out and says he doesn't care about the FANS, the CONSUMER.

Then why the **** would he had expected us to buy his game?

First of all; He was professional. The fan-base just wasn't mature about hearing it.

Second of all;
dmc__devil_may_cry___dante_pony_by_olwell-d5tknq4.jpg

Your ponies will suffer to mine.:troll:

mrrandomlulz

just like it isn't miyamoto's job to have a pikmin inside his suit pocket, or to come out on stage with casual as hell clothing and a life size replica of skyward sword items, -_- btw, AND THIS IS TO EVERYONE ELSE WHO BLATANTLY LIES TO THEMSELVES AND THE REST OF THE FORUM WHEN THEY SAY THAT TAMEEM HAS BASHED BAYONETTA, READ THIS OVER AND OVER UNTIL YOU GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS THAT HE NEVER BASHED BAYONETTA

Ninja Theory creative director, Tameem Antoniades had this to say during a recent interview regarding Bayonetta; when asked if he thought Bayonetta looked “cool”:
“Personally, I don’t. I love the game. I think it’s awesome. It’s taken everything — it’s just gone to a total extreme. But in terms of, ‘Do I think it’s cool?’ No, not at all. I think it’s caricatured and over-the-top and very ‘Japanesey,’ and for that absurd style it does that really well, but that’s not what I want.”
"i don't think bayonetta is cool, i love the game"
he likes the gameplay, but doesn't like the aesthetic or the character, NEWS FLASH, MOST GAME DEVELOPERS DON'T THINK BAYONETTA IS COOL. AND MOST REVIEWS BASED THE CHARACTER FOR BEING CREEPILY SEXUALIZED
"it does it very well, but that's not what i want"
he just doesn't think its cool, how is that bashing it?! seriously, quotes like that needs to stop on its forum

mlfw1556-tumblr_ltclp6rCxX1qafrh6.jpg

AlchemistFromEden

then stop posting the same nonsense
"tameem hates white hair"
"tameem hates bayonetta"
"tameem hates depth"
"tameem doesn't care about the fanbase"
these quotes need to stop ending up being put in EVERY thread by the same group of people, seriously, that's all i'm asking is for to stop the saying those kinds of things and misquoting the creative director

Top Bottom