• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

What are you reading?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Hentai
77ae.jpg

Reactions: Jak

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
50 Shades of Grey
What's so great about it?
(kidding)
I'm reading Halo: The Thursday War.

What's so great about 50 Shades of Grey? This: (NSFW) Duke Nukem Reads 50 Shades of Grey and Gilbert Gottfried Reads 50 Shades of Grey.

Anyway, I'm supposed to read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. First off, I have nothing against the author, the book, or the messages from the book. I just don't like the book. It's one of those things that no matter whatever technical merit something has, how well-written it is, or how well-received is had, I just cannot like/enjoy it. The Handmaid's Tale is creepy, shocking, disturbing, and interesting, but I just cannot enjoy it. Really creepy how this book has the United States of America, one of many free countries becoming a (fanatic) theocracy filled with misogyny that is covered by "protecting" women and "taming" men; reminds me of the situation in the Middle East and parts of Asia and Africa. Somehow, they twisted a passage from the Bible and overthrew the US government and blamed it on Muslims. Yeah... Anyway, women are not allowed to read and count; basically they're supposed to be machines in a way. Also, some don't even have names, instead they have names that begin with "Of" like "Offred", the main character, or "Ofglen"; "Of" and "Fred", "Of-Fred". Signifies that she belongs to Fred. There are things such as "Econowives" basically poor women belonging to men - yes, women are considered property. I haven't gotten to the part about "Jezebels", yet. Also, racism. Basically, all "non-whites" are made into servants for some unexplained reason - not far enough in the book yet. It's not all bad, it's just that they're segregated and deemed less important compared to the back-breaking, forced labor, and torture that was common with slavery. That sort of work does exist, but it applies to anyone - men, women, white, black, latino, Asian, etc. - if they get sent to the Colonies. Did I mention how the main character's daughter was stolen from her so that a "fit" mother can take care of her?! Damn it all. Why did I have to flip a coin and leave fate in Lady Luck's hand? Why the hell did I say "I don't care what book I read; I'll just read it" and not choose Oryx and Crake. *Sigh*

I really enjoyed The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. Guess what it was about? An old man and a marlin. Supposedly there were messages from the book about proving one's worth, faith, etc. I didn't really get any of that. I just found the book to be enjoyable. And I have an irrational fear of fish! How ironic. Oh well, once I finish The Handmaid's Tale, I can start Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie or Farewell to Arms, another Hemingway novel.

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
Could you let me know if its any good? I'm trying not to buy by the covers and that one keeps saying I'm dark/fantasy book and I'm wearing an awesome dress, buy me!

Uh, It's not really the Dark/fantasy that I assumed it would be judging by the cover (but it was only 5 bucks at Wal-Mart so I grabbed it :D) but there are more books in the series, I think like 3 or 4 more so it may get "darker" by then. For now though, I like it. I'm almost at the end.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison. *waits for like from Shadow* :p

Like button work, d*mn you! *clicks multiple times until the server works**throws likes at you* =D

Reading:
Death Note: L change the WorLd by M. (Yes, the title is spelled that way. x_x) Twenty pages in, and L has already worn a bear suit and proven he is bad at cooking. I have a feeling I'm going to cry by the end of the book, though....

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
Black Butler 1 - Yana Toboso
Maximum Ride - James Patterson (the manga adaptation by Narae Lee)
Blue Exorcist - Kazve Kato
The Infernal Devices - Cassandra Clare

Could you let me know if its any good? I'm trying not to buy by the covers and that one keeps saying I'm dark/fantasy book and I'm wearing an awesome dress, buy me!

It's not really dark, just heavily supernatural themed with buckets of GOOD romance. I've got the whole series and I wuffles it. :) I give it points for being authentic, but it does reach a stage (later on) where things become predictable and 'wait, wtf just happened'. Read it before you buy it. It's a nice read but not the kind you'd go reread over and over again.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Dodger by Terry Pratchett although I am tempted to take a break from it and read some Patrick W. Carr that just arrived this morning.

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
Finished all my manga D:

Reading Forgotten by Cat Patrick (an unedited version - and it's still miles better than Twilight, I kid you not)
^On that, soooooooooooo typical that I'd just happen to find this one book in an over-stacked box of books at the bookfair with about 1000 other books surrounding me - and its story would be a duplicate of the one I'm writing right now.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY?!?!?!?!

Oh. Also reading Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
On Volume 7 of Death Note (by Ohba & Obata) and I still haven't finished L: change the WorLd. *sigh* Maybe that'll be the next book I read with Gran since we just finished Another Note: The Los Angeles BB Murder Cases (by Nisioisin). I will make Gran into a Death Note fan; I will, I will!

Also going to be reading fanfiction soon cuz I owe about a dozen people reviews and beta reading stuff. Fun.

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
The Chosen One Unknown (DMC fanfic) and Hell Follows Me (also DMC fanfic)

Could you edit your post and include the links please? :)

I'm reading A Day in the Life of Dante : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9481245/1/Devil-May-Cry-A-Day-in-the-Life-of-Dante
It's a series of oneshot prompt responses. She's a good writer, got some entertaining pieces in there, oh - and she gets Dante right.
And I'm totally waving my promoting banner here. It's recommended that you read it. It's got health benefits. Yes, it does. YES IT DOES. Drop her a review if you read it. :)

Britt690

Gabriel Reyes needs to eat me.
Could you edit your post and include the links please? :)

I'm reading A Day in the Life of Dante : http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9481245/1/Devil-May-Cry-A-Day-in-the-Life-of-Dante
It's a series of oneshot prompt responses. She's a good writer, got some entertaining pieces in there, oh - and she gets Dante right.
And I'm totally waving my promoting banner here. It's recommended that you read it. It's got health benefits. Yes, it does. YES IT DOES. Drop her a review if you read it. :)

The Chosen One Unknown:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8598087/2/The-Chosen-One-Unknown
I think with the way the story is going (it's mature for one, as far as some fanfiction goes:p )it'll turn out really good and interesting.

Hell Follows Me:
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5522452/1/Hell-Follows-Me
This one's by Tora-Katana and...it's just awesome!

And I'll have to check out the one you recommended as well.

Top Bottom