• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Wha Happun? - DMC2

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Matt has some extra details on the (lack of a) design phase in Devil May Cry 2.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
Done by arcade fighter developers with no experience in making a fuller, level-based action game? I'm glad someone in the comments guessed that first director might be Yoshinori Ono.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
Done by arcade fighter developers with no experience in making a fuller, level-based action game? I'm glad someone in the comments guessed that first director might be Yoshinori Ono.
I know that there is a lot of hate for Ono right now with the majority of it justified, but I highly doubt he was involved as director. That is just me though. From what I heard, the ghost director left Capcom just after game was released to retail. I don't know if it is true, but that is what I heard back in like 2006 or 2007.

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I know that there is a lot of hate for Ono right now with the majority of it justified, but I highly doubt he was involved as director. That is just me though. From what I heard, the ghost director left Capcom just after game was released to retail. I don't know if it is true, but that is what I heard back in like 2006 or 2007.
"There's a lot of hate for Ono"?

Before we go any further, may I ask exactly what your damage is with insisting that anyone that says something even negative-adjacent-sounding about Ono must hate the guy? I've already said I'm intrigued about the Ride or Die/Anti-Snitch attitude between Kamiya, Itsuno, and everyone else involved who probably have absolutely seen and thus know who the director is but refuse to say anything, because it'd be funny if it were him. That's it. Nothing else. You can take the commentary about hate for Ono to whoever it is that actually hates Ono, including but not limited to any employees at Capcom whose mood changes whenever his name gets mentioned. I personally DGAF that much.

"I heard this thing on the Internet, so it must be valid!" You say, about a detail hinging entirely on it being the truth to begin with when the crux of the issue is that Capcom is hiding who the Unnamed Director is to protect their reputation. They didn't even divulge which Production Team was responsible for DMC2 when we know that DMC1 was developed by Team Little Devils in Capcom Production Studio 4, DMC2 was *not* developed by Team Little Devils (and definitely not with Kamiya's involvement) and released January 2003, and Chaos Legion was produced by Capcom Production Studio 6 to release March of the same year. They magically didn't have a specific Production Studio to name for one game, when Production Studio 4 closed in 2005 and Studio 6 closed a year prior? Sure. Ono works as a Sound Design Coordinator for DMC1 and then somehow ends up producer two studios down to a 3rd-person action fighter affectionately called a DMC ripoff with no in-betweens, and that's the only game that that Studio ever produced? Sure. This trajectory never involved Ono crossing with Funamizu, who was Executive Producer of DMC2 and Supervisor in Chaos Legion, while Tanaka and Sudo were also producers in DMC2? Suuuuuure.

At least let people have fun with these details.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
"There's a lot of hate for Ono"?

Before we go any further, may I ask exactly what your damage is with insisting that anyone that says something even negative-adjacent-sounding about Ono must hate the guy?
Not my words:

Now I did not have too many issues with Ono and I am grateful for him getting Street Fighter back in to success with IV, but I understand peoples frustrations with those that worked with him in the business and developing games. I can not not blame them for that. I have no damage, and you can stop with attitude, because I do not ask for it.

"I heard this thing on the Internet, so it must be valid!" You say, about a detail hinging entirely on it being the truth to begin with when the crux of the issue is that Capcom is hiding who the Unnamed Director is to protect their reputation.
I never said it was valid. All I did was tell you what I heard. Never said it was 100%. That was all you assuming what I thought.

At least let people have fun with these details.
I never said you or anyone couldn't . If that is what you think or believe, then have fun with that. For someone wanting to have fun with the details, you sound frustrated just for me speaking about a rumor I heard (and not taking it as 100% truth) back when I was a teenager. If you believe it's Ono, go for it. I just feel it's too convenient for it to be him. Something would have come out by that point. But I must digress, we're just arguing over theories and will most likely not be solved or revealed. If you end up being right, congrats to you. Not something I am going to lose sleep over. Try and take it easy dude. You have a good one.

Last edited:

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I didn't ask for the assumption of "hating Ono" to be associated with me wondering if he directed DMC2 and finding it fun that other people think so and are making the same connections, but you brought that up first, so thanks for that. Whatever Ono haters say aren't my words either, so in short: Not my words? Not my problem.

I've watched those videos before. Not gonna click on them again but Woolie and Max came across as civil but dodging having to say anything concrete on Ono's departure, which they shouldn't feel obliged to get into for various reasons if they know anything, and their silence is especially prudent if they don't know anything, so good on them. If you're pointing out the comments to the videos as proof people hate Ono, justified or not, then again, it's not my problem. This thread is about DMC2's interesting development cycle, so speccing on who the Unnamed Director is that contributed to that is fun and funny and entirely relevant, soapboxing on the current state of the industry and trying to "defend" Ono from this one particular "transgression" in the sea of other missteps he's apparently made, isn't. (Added Note: if time is the reason why Ono being the Unnamed Director is implausible, from "something would have come out by that point", how does the director being a total nobody who left soon after the project finished make that any better? The Unnamed Director being someone otherwise respected and whose reputation Kamiya or Itsuno wouldn't be willing to tarnish because of existing good standing would support them keeping quiet about it.)

It's no concern of mine that you heard that rumor when you were a teenager-- I didn't know that before, and I don't care now. If the rumor's age were really an issue to make the initial comment not worth poking holes at then you shouldn't have brought it up to be poked or even held onto it to be brought up a decade and a half later, but that's just me. I didn't hijack the thread direction to turn it into a platform on how I know how widespread Ono-hate is, to explicitly conflate DMC2-spec and Ono-hate as coming from the same direction, to then slide in the suggestion that by being skeptical of the DMC2-spec and Ono's involvement that I'm being the reasonable person in the room in the general topic of Ono-hate that I know about (even though hating Ono and wondering whether he directed DMC2 aren't the same thing), but that stems from me showing awareness of what I'm saying and what I'm not saying when I hit the Post Reply button, which already puts me as having some great days now and in the foreseeable future because I find having awareness of my words more important. (y) So, good day, hopefully you wake up one morning and find that you're taller so you don't need the soapbox anymore.

Last edited:

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups!
I didn't ask for the assumption of "hating Ono" to be associated with me wondering if he directed DMC2 and finding it fun that other people think so and are making the same connections, but you brought that up first, so thanks for that. Whatever Ono haters say aren't my words either, so in short: Not my words? Not my problem.

I've watched those videos before. Not gonna click on them again but Woolie and Max came across as civil but dodging having to say anything concrete on Ono's departure, which they shouldn't feel obliged to get into for various reasons if they know anything, and their silence is especially prudent if they don't know anything, so good on them. If you're pointing out the comments to the videos as proof people hate Ono, justified or not, then again, it's not my problem. This thread is about DMC2's interesting development cycle, so speccing on who the Unnamed Director is that contributed to that is fun and funny and entirely relevant, soapboxing on the current state of the industry and trying to "defend" Ono from this one particular "transgression" in the sea of other missteps he's apparently made, isn't. (Added Note: if time is the reason why Ono being the Unnamed Director is implausible, from "something would have come out by that point", how does the director being a total nobody who left soon after the project finished make that any better? The Unnamed Director being someone otherwise respected and whose reputation Kamiya or Itsuno wouldn't be willing to tarnish because of existing good standing would support them keeping quiet about it.)

It's no concern of mine that you heard that rumor when you were a teenager-- I didn't know that before, and I don't care now. If the rumor's age were really an issue to make the initial comment not worth poking holes at then you shouldn't have brought it up to be poked or even held onto it to be brought up a decade and a half later, but that's just me. I didn't hijack the thread direction to turn it into a platform on how I know how widespread Ono-hate is, to explicitly conflate DMC2-spec and Ono-hate as coming from the same direction, to then slide in the suggestion that by being skeptical of the DMC2-spec and Ono's involvement that I'm being the reasonable person in the room in the general topic of Ono-hate that I know about (even though hating Ono and wondering whether he directed DMC2 aren't the same thing), but that stems from me showing awareness of what I'm saying and what I'm not saying when I hit the Post Reply button, which already puts me as having some great days now and in the foreseeable future because I find having awareness of my words more important. (y) So, good day, hopefully you wake up one morning and find that you're taller so you don't need the soapbox anymore.
Just so we're clear I'm not talking about the peoples in the comment sections. I was just referring to the videos themselves. If you don't care that's fine. And you still have the freaking attitude dude. You can quit it. I'm not the one on a soapbox. You've done that well yourself, so you can stop with the self-righteous attitude. You're the one doing the long winding rant. And I never correlated the Ono hating and your theory as the same thing. I was just pointing it out. I'm not going to take this any further, but I'll keep the thead up in case anybody wants to discuss it. Learn to have a good one dude and try not to be too uptight about everything. If you want to think Ono was somehow involved with DMC2 go right ahead. All I pointed out was that I have my doubts

Also, with the video on Woolie and Max I do have a problem with their silences for avoiding certain things. it's pretty clear they know certain things but are not at liberty to discuss or they don't want to risk something happening to them. Whatever, that's their choice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom