• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Was that the real Eva?

Martius

SSSmokin!
Why? Dante was not real, Kat was not real so why Eva was real? For me all of that looks like it was happening in Vergil mind something like that.

Tmfaria

Member of the Order
It could be a bit of both.

Seems with the betrayal he's felt ever since the ending of DmC, he might be hallucinating. He's in hell too, so things might be manipulating him (Dante, Kat and Eva).

Black Manic TH

WTF is that BEHIND YOU?
It could be a bit of both.

Seems with the betrayal he's felt ever since the ending of DmC, he might be hallucinating. He's in hell too, so things might be manipulating him (Dante, Kat and Eva).
Maybe it's just his mind, just like Dante has Demons and Eva and a whole world in his mind too. And his mind is getting destroyed cause he is dying.

Judgement

The skeptical, open-minded, conservative, pacifist
It's tough to say really. Everything people have posted so far could quite possibly be true. She is dead and even if she is a angel what she did, such as mingling with a demon, was taboo for both races so it's possible that she might have gone to hell. Still, no one knows :/

Romy

It's like you didn't even play the game. He collapses in front of the grave in the beginning and comes back up in the end. It's obvious that all those 6 missions were in his head.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
For sure Kat and Dante are false creations to manipulate Vergil. But when we see Eva, she is being attacked. Plus if she was a warped version made in Vergil's head, wouldn't she be cruel to Vergil and tell him that Dante was her favourite and that she never loved him, or made out she was a whore like the demons say she is? Instead she is shocked at Vergil and says she gave him love. I don't think a fake Eva would do that.

Judgement

It's like you didn't even play the game. He collapses in front of the grave in the beginning and comes back up in the end. It's obvious that all those 6 missions were in his head.

You are completely right here by saying that however Vergil was still in hell when he collapsed since he opened the portal with Yamato and went in at the end of DmC. So yeah it may be in his head but he is still influenced by hell while there.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Personal theory; Vergil's not totally dead yet, since he hasn't had his heart gouged out, but he's pretty much mostly dead and was caught in a state between life and hell, which means yes, that WAS his mother's soul trapped in hell...and probably was put there by Mundus as further punishment to Sparda. I'm...surprised we didn't get hints as to where Big Daddy Demon King Sparda was being kept, you'd think Eva might have tried to us that to bring Vergil back away from being corrupted...

Mind you, Vergil was Mostly Dea. All dead, and all we could have done was have Dante riffle through Verg's pockets for loose change.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Just thought of something else. If this was in Vergil's head, then why did Eva tell him that he was dead, become upset about it and then tell him how to get out? An Eva of Vergil's creation would probably be happy he was dead, tease him about it and say he was dead because he was not as strong as Dante, and certainly would not tell him how to escape.

Victormaru

Technologist
You know that's not the real Eva. She's been dead since forever. The story of Vergil's Downfall is really weird. I mean it continues right off after the last DmC mission but we just don't know what the hell's going on. It seemed like he cut himself a portal into Hell / Limbo and then he starts hallucinating and / or just struggling against his own mind. He didn't really kill Kat and Dante (plus the way he killed Dante was dumb as hell). From battling the demons in his mind, it seems that he had gotten stronger at the end (for those who've beaten Vergil's Downfall) and I guess becomes Nelo Angelo or just simply more evil, stronger and badass if anything.

I feel like this could perfectly lead into a Devil May Cry 3 scenario. Overall I feel like the Vergil's Downfall story is pre-DmC 2. They could've just released DmC 2 and have Vergil as an evil Super Saiyan out of nowhere, lol.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
The name of the first mission describes what the whole DLC is pretty well. It's Vergil's personal hell.
I mean you see Vergil die in front of Eva's grave, his soul drops into hell where he awakens and is tormented by hellish versions of Kat and Dante a.k.a his personal hell.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
You know that's not the real Eva. She's been dead since forever. The story of Vergil's Downfall is really weird. I mean it continues right off after the last DmC mission but we just don't know what the hell's going on. It seemed like he cut himself a portal into Hell / Limbo and then he starts hallucinating and / or just struggling against his own mind. He didn't really kill Kat and Dante (plus the way he killed Dante was dumb as hell). From battling the demons in his mind, it seems that he had gotten stronger at the end (for those who've beaten Vergil's Downfall) and I guess becomes Nelo Angelo or just simply more evil, stronger and badass if anything.

I feel like this could perfectly lead into a Devil May Cry 3 scenario. Overall I feel like the Vergil's Downfall story is pre-DmC 2. They could've just released DmC 2 and have Vergil as an evil Super Saiyan out of nowhere, lol.

The only other explaination I have is that doppelganger did it. He creates the Dante and Kat illusions to drive Vergil to cast off the last representations of humanity because the doppelganger wants to take control. It seems to be a manifestation of the demon side of Vergil. And it is noted that if the devil trigger is used enough, then it takes over. So I guess that is why it wanted Vergil to confront and hate Kat, Dante and Eva.

The doppelganger steals his amulet and shows him his heart with the holes in. Each hole heals after he confronts and kills Kat, kills Dante and then confronts Eva.

The doppelganger created the versions of Dante and Kat from his mind, but warped versions that brought out Vergil's insecurities. Then when Vergil confronted and killed them, it shows his heart healing, like the doppelganger said it would. So Vergil begins to think that doing that will make him powerful and that having such attachments as family and love will only hold him back. It's all part of the doppelganger's plan to take over Vergil.

Judgement

The only other explaination I have is that doppelganger did it. He creates the Dante and Kat illusions to drive Vergil to cast off the last representations of humanity because the doppelganger wants to take control. It seems to be a manifestation of the demon side of Vergil. And it is noted that if the devil trigger is used enough, then it takes over. So I guess that is why it wanted Vergil to confront and hate Kat, Dante and Eva.

The doppelganger steals his amulet and shows him his heart with the holes in. Each hole heals after he confronts and kills Kat, kills Dante and then confronts Eva.

The doppelganger created the versions of Dante and Kat from his mind, but warped versions that brought out Vergil's insecurities. Then when Vergil confronted and killed them, it shows his heart healing, like the doppelganger said it would. So Vergil begins to think that doing that will make him powerful and that having such attachments as family and love will only hold him back. It's all part of the doppelganger's plan to take over Vergil.

Interesting theory there. It was also pretty much what I was thinking. The funny part is that even if the doppelganger wants to take over his soul, Vergil still kills it and takes it's power. However in the end Vergil is still just as cynical as the doppelganger so maybe that was it's plan all along, for them to fuse of some sort.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I thought it was the real Eva? Unless it's all meant to be symbolic, but I got the impression Eva was the only real thing in that hell.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
I thought it was the real Eva? Unless it's all meant to be symbolic, but I got the impression Eva was the only real thing in that hell.
If she was an illusion or a twisted Version, wouldn't she turn into a demon like Kat did, or look all white and weird like Dante did?:/ Also, wouldn't she taunt him and hate him like fake Dante and Kat did?

Or was it a test? Faced with an illusion that acted and looked like his mother, the ultimate test was for Vergil to reject her, reject all she had taught him about love and using his power to protect and then leave her to suffer. So he throws away the last tie to his 'humanity' and feelings.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
If she was an illusion or a twisted Version, wouldn't she turn into a demon like Kat did, or look all white and weird like Dante did?:/ Also, wouldn't she taunt him and hate him like fake Dante and Kat did?

Or was it a test? Faced with an illusion that acted and looked like his mother, the ultimate test was for Vergil to reject her, reject all she had taught him about love and using his power to protect and then leave her to suffer. So he throws away the last tie to his 'humanity' and feelings.
Exactly! But then, couldn't it be both?

Top Bottom