• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Using a swastika on Xbox Live will get you banned

Meg

Use of a swastika on Xbox live will get you the banhammer. What do you guys think about this?

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/c...a-20101122164925943089/g-20100430155437473001

Personally I don't know what idiot would want to use one. Its such a rude and ignorant thing. Not to mention still pretty taboo. I don't care if its censorship or freedom of speech or whatever. I honestly don't care that it had different meaning before the Nazis used it. Its disrespectful to so many groups of people.

Although I don't know if outright banning is a good idea. :unsure: Maybe Microsoft should send out a warning giving everyone a set amount of time to remove it and if they don't then they get banned.

Thoughts?

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Give creative freedom to the call of duty community and all they want to do is make giant swastikas and penises as their emblems..

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Actually... There are two Swastikas. The ancient one, which was a symbol of good luck, and the Nazi one, which is backwards. Dunno why I felt like mentioning that.

On topic, there should at least be a warning, not just insta-ban.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
Warning is always better.

The original swatika faced a different side of the one the Nazis used.

So this people should get a warning because they were probably using the ancient swatika

Ronan

oakheart
Premium
Storm Silves;289802 said:
Actually... There are two Swastikas. The ancient one, which was a symbol of good luck, and the Nazi one, which is backwards. Dunno why I felt like mentioning that.

On topic, there should at least be a warning, not just insta-ban.

This. Before the Nazis got a hold of it, the Swastika was a symbol of good health and fortune. Now it carries a negative connotation.

I for one think an insta-ban is harsh unless the person specifically stated that they had the intent to offend with the swastiksa >.>

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Tonks;289804 said:
This. Before the Nazis got a hold of it, the Swastika was a symbol of good health and fortune. Now it carries a negative connotation.

I for one think an insta-ban is harsh unless the person specifically stated that they had the intent to offend with the swastiksa >.>
Trust me when I say 99.9% of the users of this emblem had intentions to cause offence.

/completely made up statistic but most likely accurate.

Ronan

oakheart
Premium
I think what Storm means is that while a lot of people do use the symbol to upset others, there are some who genuinely appreciate its positive value.

VeNGeD

Cut 'Em Up!
Premium
Tonks;289808 said:
I think what Storm means is that while a lot of people do use the symbol to upset others, there are some who genuinely appreciate its positive value.
What I mean is, that I doubt anyone on black ops had any positive values in mind when making the emblem.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
I think instaban is a bit extreme maybe a warning first like Meg said. But most people who have a proper understanding of it and it's many forms respect the initial reaction people have when they see it so unless they are deeply devoted to ressurecting it's original symbolism they would just leave it to save getting in trouble needlessly.
It would only be people who are trying to cause offence coupled with people who don't know the difference.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I think the people should be warned and not banned as most will be children who just want to put it on their profile for the comments it would receive and the attention.

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
Yeah a warning rather than a banning seems sensible.
I however think that no matter how you personally view the swastika symbol you must be aware of the connotations it comes with especially somewhere out of context in a game therefore pretty much 99.9% of users will be doing it to get attention.......idiots.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
there are plenty of symbols a person can use for good luck. if they put a swastika, it's either because their a nazi-sympathizer, or they just want a reaction.

personally i don't care, being of the ethnic group that would take offense to it. but there really isn't freedom of speech on xbox live. if you read their terms of use page, they have the right to censor whatever they want, more or less. it was only recently that they announced that disclosing that you are homosexual wouldn't get you banned.

xbox live isn't monitored by the FCC or the government. they have the right to add a free ku klux klan avatar outfit if they so pleased, as long as they could prove it was not a hate crime.

Meg

^ I'm pretty sure it was on Xbox Live a kid got banned for saying he was from Fort Gay. Which does exist by the way. :rolleyes:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Meg;289841 said:
^ I'm pretty sure it was on Xbox Live a kid got banned for saying he was from Fort Gay. Which does exist by the way. :rolleyes:

Seems a little harsh.

I recall saying many stupid things when on Xbox Live. I was younger and less mature. And when you're in your living room or bedroom or wherever, playing games and talking to people around the World, you're bound to say something eventually that annoys someone.

Everything is going to annoy someone, somewhere, out there. Because everyone has a difference of opinion. Somebody may like the look of the symbol, and wish to use it. Not necessarily meaning in a disrespectful way. They may just like it as a symbol, a shape. And not see what effects lied behind that symbol.

So really it's about people having the freedom to express themselves as they see fit. However, because that'll always be seen wrong by someone else, that will never be so. There is no such thing as freedom in the World today.

They should warn these people first. And if they make that choice to keep the symbol, then they should be banned. It'd be up to them to decide whether expressing themselves in such a way is more important than keeping their Xbox Live Account.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Meg;289841 said:

If people file complaints about it (for whatever obscure reason) then Microsoft will remove it or ban the offender.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
Dark Drakan;289965 said:
If people file complaints about it (for whatever obscure reason) then Microsoft will remove it or ban the offender.

really?
i was of the impression they have an enforcement team that monitors voice chat, messages, and gameplay looking for offenses... be they for what the report was filed for or not.

Dark Drakan

Admin
cheezMcNASTY;289971 said:
really?
i was of the impression they have an enforcement team that monitors voice chat, messages, and gameplay looking for offenses... be they for what the report was filed for or not.

They do but the majority of cases are reported to them. They cant monitor every subscribers messages and most the content of the messages is private anyway. Works much like the forum staff, we can be browsing the forums and spot offences but the majority are brought to our attention.

Top Bottom