• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Unlikely any Devil May Cry for a while...

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
A theory by me. v_v

Capcom has 152 million left, they can't risk another failure on any title. And if they're going to get their act together, it's more than likely they're going to stick with their guns on their more well known titles like Resident Evil, than take another gamble with Devil May Cry in their current financial state. And with them saying about producing more games inhouse, it could be less probable of them branching out to other companies to produce any games as well. The fact they're considering more DLC's is a sign of concern as well.

DMC5 or DmC2, don't act surprise if we don't hear anything for the next couple of years, or even five years at that. We were premature for even hoping anything on the series would show up at Toyko Games Show this year [not even Resident Evil did]. And after the storm in the recent years of poor sales on their games and fan outcry, is it really any wonder?

So you better start hoping Capcom figure out how to drag themselves out of the water and keep afloat to reach the shore, or our franchises could be endanger :(

But in more positive news:
tumblr_mso0qc9FWD1sqzpm7o1_500.gif

Cute widdle bunny plays the piano and breaks the heart of millions with his adorable masterpiece, titled 'nom nom me some carrots'.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
What will most likely happen, is that they sell DMC to Platinum or someone else. Same way THQ sold off their Darksiders franchise to Nordic Games.

Too bad NG hasn't done anything with it yet -- still, there's no reason to give up hope.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I think it should be made clear that Capcom won't sell DMC to anyone. Why would they let some one else make money off their games? And lets say worse case scenario Capcom has to sell their franchises, they are not going to sell it to P*, they will sell it to who ever offers the most, and P* doesn't have enough to compete with them.

seraphmaycry

A theory by me. v_v

Capcom has 152 million left, they can't risk another failure on any title. And if they're going to get their act together, it's more than likely they're going to stick with their guns on their more well known titles like Resident Evil, than take another gamble with Devil May Cry in their current financial state. And with them saying about producing more games inhouse, it could be less probable of them branching out to other companies to produce any games as well. The fact they're considering more DLC's is a sign of concern as well.

DMC5 or DmC2, don't act surprise if we don't hear anything for the next couple of years, or even five years at that. We were premature for even hoping anything on the series would show up at Toyko Games Show this year [not even Resident Evil did]. And after the storm in the recent years of poor sales on their games and fan outcry, is it really any wonder?

So you better start hoping Capcom figure out how to drag themselves out of the water and keep afloat to reach the shore, or our franchises could be endanger :(
hmm well i was expecting a bit of a wait either way, if the series goes down ill not be very happy.

Meg

It's a good theory. One possibility I don't see people considering is Capcom going out of business. If that happened, it would probably be like with THQ where all Capcom's franchises go up for grabs.

.......that might actually work out better than Capcom suffering and cracking out DLC for years.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
It's a good theory. One possibility I don't see people considering is Capcom going out of business. If that happened, it would probably be like with THQ where all Capcom's franchises go up for grabs.

.......that might actually work out better than Capcom suffering and cracking out DLC for years.

I was thinking the same thing, actually. This BS of showing off nothing but ios games at TGS - they may as well have put up a banner announcing 'Bankrupt in the next 2 fiscal years'. It's all downhill from here. I would say that I really don't feel sorry for them - they've made their bed, they gotta sleep in it - but when Capcom shuts its doors, DMC goes down with it. :(

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Just make a DMC5 with the same recycled gameplay of DMC4. Fans won't tell the its the same. As long as it has Old Dante on the cover, it'll sell millions.
that's sooo generous for a company like cacpom ! what it would do is make Hyper super HD remix DLC episode DMC 4

Meg

I was thinking the same thing, actually. This BS of showing off nothing but ios games at TGS - they may as well have put up a banner announcing 'Bankrupt in the next 2 fiscal years'. It's all downhill from here. I would say that I really don't feel sorry for them - they've made their bed, they gotta sleep in it - but when Capcom shuts its doors, DMC goes down with it. :(
See, I want Capcom to succeed because if it fails, that is a lot of people who just lost their jobs. I don't feel bad for the people who made the bad decisions that got them here, but I do feel sorry for all their other employees. And it's not just designers and programmers who'd lose their jobs either. It's also maintenance, security, public relations, marketing, etc. People who just do their jobs and have very little to no say in the direction the company goes in. :(

Not only that, but Capcom going out of business would mean the death of a once really great company. And that's sad.

But the death of Capcom doesn't mean the death of DMC. It could still get auctioned off along with Capcom's other franchises.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
It's scary and sad to think about Capcom going down, it'll be a good thing for the industry and the franchises, but it's sad to think about all those awesome developers that Capcom employs, I just hope that when it happens some of the guys can put some studios together like the other good guys did and a lot of those developers can join up with them.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014

That's a bit of a gamble. Capcom may or may not sell off the DMC franchise, just like they may or may not create another installment.
I don't want to look like a douche but the fact is that a lot of businesses are closing down and there are many people without jobs.
Game development is a good field to be in. Capcom's employees are likely to get back into that field of work again easily, because there aren't all that many game developers with their level of expertise out there. I don't feel sorry for the people losing their jobs. They'll get new ones with a snap of the fingers. Maybe not in the league of Capcom, but still. They'll create their own companies. Isn't that what PG did?
It's one of those careers that you need to be skilled in. Games are in demand, always has been, always will be, it's the entertainment industry. It never runs out, never runs dry. There's always opportunity.

So I really hope no one takes offense to my lack of human compassion but I do believe the fans will suffer far more than the employees.

Meg

That's a bit of a gamble. Capcom may or may not sell off the DMC franchise, just like they may or may not create another installment.
I don't want to look like a douche but the fact is that a lot of businesses are closing down and there are many people without jobs.
Game development is a good field to be in. Capcom's employees are likely to get back into that field of work again easily, because there aren't all that many game developers with their level of expertise out there. I don't feel sorry for the people losing their jobs. They'll get new ones with a snap of the fingers. Maybe not in the league of Capcom, but still. They'll create their own companies. Isn't that what PG did?
It's one of those careers that you need to be skilled in. Games are in demand, always has been, always will be, it's the entertainment industry. It never runs out, never runs dry. There's always opportunity.

So I really hope no one takes offense to my lack of human compassion but I do believe the fans will suffer far more than the employees.
Right. That only accounts for the designers and programmers. What about the maintenance crew, the security, PR, marketing, etc. personnel? And you are being way to optimistic about every single employee being able to find new jobs. A lot of Japanese companies are suffering. How do you expect them to have room for lots of new people? Or Capcom employees to have enough money to make their own company? I'm sorry, but I find your lack of compassion for people disturbing. :blink:

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It's scary and sad to think about Capcom going down, it'll be a good thing for the industry and the franchises, but it's sad to think about all those awesome developers that Capcom employs, I just hope that when it happens some of the guys can put some studios together like the other good guys did and a lot of those developers can join up with them.

I'm sure infune and Itsuno will be fine along with Koboyashi. Hell, they could even sign on to P* or even Grasshopper manufacture. God knows Suda 51 could use some hack n' slash kings to help him with his games. Not that they weren't good but a little more wouldn't hurt.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
What will most likely happen, is that they sell DMC to Platinum or someone else. Same way THQ sold off their Darksiders franchise to Nordic Games.

Too bad NG hasn't done anything with it yet -- still, there's no reason to give up hope.

Darksiders was auctioned off... Still I guess it's the same as being "sold". A lot of people were hoping for Darksiders to be picked up by Platinum Games, Crytek after the hired the former Vigil Games employees, and even Nintendo so they could have a "mature Zelda" substitute. Nobody really wanted the franchise. Maybe it was "unstable" despite fans and reviewers giving good criticism on it. Or maybe it was too similar to their franchises. Darksiders is a mixture of Prince of Persia, Zelda, God of War, and Devil May Cry. By extension, it's a mixture of Assassin's Creed, which is Prince of Persia but a little bit more real and open-world; any hack n' slash and third-person shooter, World of Warcraft and Warhammer visually, and I guess, Diablo and Borderlands, starting with Darksiders II since it had expanded RPG elements and a large loot system. Also it was a high production series that involved some well-known people like Mark Hamill and Michael Wincott. Also, the only people who really knew what the series should do and go for were the Vigil Games employees. So, if they want to make money and continue to make money along with pleasing fans, they would have to buy the series and the studio. An expensive investment since this series sells, but not like say, God of War, Mario, or the coveted Call of Duty sales that EA is so fixated on.

Nordic Games themselves said that if they want to make a Darksiders III, they'll need the former Vigil Games employees who are currently working on Ryse: Son of Rome and some other project, I believe. That or someone they and fans would be confident in making a Darksiders game. Something similar happened with the Sly Cooper series: Sucker Punch went off to focus on the inFAMOUS series and Sly Cooper was just there. The HD collection was handed to Sanzaru Games whose first game was Ninja Reflex for the Wii, DS, and PC and before had ported Secret Agent Clank to the PS2. Yeah, not that stellar of a record. Some time, they pitched the idea of what would become Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time to Sony. Sanzaru Games didn't even notify them that they were working on a Sly Cooper demo, nope, they just scheduled a meeting and pitched an early Sly Cooper game. It was, fortunately, approved and Sanzaru Games went on with the project. Heck, Sucker Punch gave their approval to Sanzaru Games. Even before the game released, Sanzaru Games proved to companies and fans that they could make a Sly Cooper game. After release, people felt that Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is a respected Sly Cooper game from a relatively unknown studio and guess what? They're working on Sly Cooper 5.

Retro Studios proved to fans and Nintendo they could make a 3D Metroid game and Donkey Kong Country games. Mercury Stream proved to fans they could make a 3D Castlevania. Similar cases, but with different ideas of a game series rather than a direct continuation of a games' core gameplay; Metroid and Castlevania were known for their 2D gameplay, though Castlevania had good 3D games before Lord of Shadows; the 3D Castlevanias were Castlevania (Nintendo 64), Legacy of Darkness, Lament of Innocence, and Curse of Darkness.

Many fans will agree that Platinum Games can make a Devil May Cry game not because of Hideki Kamiya, the creator of Devil May Cry, but also because they made Bayonetta and the soon to be released Bayonetta 2, and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. All are considered to be great hack n' slash games alongside Mad Word, Anarchy Reigns, Vanquish, The Wonderful 101, and Infinite Space which are action, third-person shooter, RTS, RPG, and strategy games. The studio itself is made of developers who made Okami, Godhand, Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, and more. That means they proved in the past they can make action games and games with good story, though the current track record for stories that aren't over-the-top or plain crazy isn't good, though, Platinum Games tends to focus on crazy gameplay rather than not-so crazy stories that could drive you nuts. Then again, Okami was based on Japanese mythology and the other games were made up on the spot with influences here and there.

Another option would be developers from Capcom who worked on Devil May Cry including Hideaki Itsuno who seems to want to focus on Dragon's Dogma - he said it was his dream to make a medieval, fantasy game. Here's the thing, it's no doubt that Capcom has developer capable of creating games with great combat. They made Street Fighter which spawned The Kings of Fighters, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, Tekken, Super Smash Bros., Dead or Alive, and pretty much any fighting game. Hell, tons of fighting and non-fighting games are inspired by Street Fighter such as having similar controls to having the iconic hadouken and shoryuken somewhere as actual moves in-game or just a reference. Similarly, they created Devil May Cry which lead to God of War, Ninja Gaiden - the 3D games not the original 2D series -, Bayonetta, the spiritual successor, Lollipop Chainsaw, and other hack n' slash games. Capcom has talent and proven they can make games with awesome combat or awesome games in general. It's just whether or not they can focus their talent which they have been trying to do and shown with Dragon's Dogma, an incredible RPG game influenced by western mythology, soon to be deep down, Monster Hunter which is slowly creating more addicted fans outside of Japan, and deep down which seems to be a horror, sci-fi, medieval, time-travel game. The issue is that reputation they created this generation. If they survive, then next generation is a period of redemption or cold, hard, corrupted truth for fans.

A third choice would be Ninja Theory who some would definitely be against having as developers for Devil May Cry. Here's what they proved to fans: art direction. From Heavenly Sword to Enslaved to DmC: Devil May Cry and hell, even the tiny glimpses into their new game with the blue-haired girl, Ninja Theory has art that captivates people. Many thought they were the story-makers of gaming, but they didn't write for Heavenly Sword or Enslaved; other, third-party writers did, but they were able to create an atmosphere to the games the tied with the stories each game told including DmC which was the first game they wrote and it has a decent story compared to some other media. Maybe not Bioshock material, but not Twi - I gotta stop ripping on this series of books. Also, they were able to work with one of the greatest combat developer studios: Capcom. They probably learned a few tricks from Capcom and could make a decent hack n' slash game compared to their previous endeavors with Enslaved and Heavenly Sword. Funny, Enslaved has a much simpler and more repetitive combat system than Heavenly Sword. What the hell happened there? If Ninja Theory makes another DmC game, then don't expect combat to just go from DMC1 quality to DMC3 quality. It'll take time like how Kingdom Hearts started with as a button-masher to high-speed Kingdom Hearts II to strategic Birth By Sleep and 3D Dream Drop Distance. Kingdom Hearts III promises to be something between KHII and Dream Drop Distance and seeing the clips of gameplay from Final Fantasy XV which has a combat system inspired by Kingdom Hearts, I wouldn't doubt them one bit. Plus, aside from Platinum Games and Capcom - as much as many doubt this -, Ninja Theory has an idea of where DmC will go. They were the ones who wanted to reboot DMC with something familiar, but Capcom was the one who pushed them to go somewhere else.

The other choice would be some other developer. Like Sanzaru Games, Retro Studios, and Mercury Studios, these developers would have to prove to fans, developers involved with Devil May Cry, and if DMC was picked up by a developer who don't have the resources for it, like Nordic Games, they would have to prove to them as well. It'll be much scarier with them than Ninja Theory, Capcom, and Platinum Games, but it'll be much more exhilarating when we see them succeed.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Just make a DMC5 with the same recycled gameplay of DMC4. Fans won't tell the its the same. As long as it has Old Dante on the cover, it'll sell millions.

They just gotta sell out and it'll be like sticking a pacifier in the crybabies mouths. It can be another half assed lazy piece of sh!t like 4 again and those people will buy it regardless. It'll be something but not a huge impact. Devil May Cry was never their biggest franchise. :ermm:

Way to go Capcom. Sad thing is Capcom just can't figure out the right answer and it's not that hard. HINT: It's not DLC. Hurr durr.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
They just gotta sell out and it'll be like sticking a pacifier in the crybabies mouths. It can be another half assed lazy piece of sh!t like 4 again and those people will buy it regardless. It'll be something but not a huge impact. Devil May Cry was never their biggest franchise. :ermm:

Way to go Capcom. Sad thing is Capcom just can't figure out the right answer and it's not that hard. HINT: It's not DLC. Hurr durr.

That avatar tho...

Top Bottom