• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ubisoft sued over Assassins Creed story

Dark Drakan

Admin
Thanks for answering that Dark Drakan. :) I wasn't sure if their silence was good or not. here's another thought. Does Link have a lot different main characters like AC does? I ask this because if the book has only one main character than Ubisoft has not completely stolen the idea but merely built upon it.

I think the main issue is to do with Ubisoft's Animus idea and it being...

'A device and process whereby ancestral memories can be accessed, recalled, relived, and re-experienced by the user and them both including spiritual and religious tones, assassinations, and characters experiencing historical events through their ancestors’ memories.'

I have no more information than any of you really and only know what ive read so all of my comments are mere opinion but happy to answer anyway. ^_^

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
I see. Well this a interesting issue. If is book really contained these ideas it should've been a famous book like the AC series, yet it is not, strange. Anyway lets see how this turns out. ^_^
Cool find Dark Drakan.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I see. Well this a interesting issue. If is book really contained these ideas it should've been a famous book like the AC series, yet it is not, strange. Anyway lets see how this turns out. ^_^
Cool find Dark Drakan.

All depends on marketing and publishers, just because a book is great doesnt mean it will be an instant best seller or well known. I mean until the TV series id never heard of Game Of Thrones and didnt realise there was a book series about it, even though it won awards and was a best seller a lot of people I spoke to hadnt heard of it.

Also at the same time, just because a book has a great premise and some great ideas in it doesnt make it a great book if its poorly written. Granted I know nothing about 'Link' so cant comment about that either way.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
It's interesting he took so long to bring this about... could just be fishing for attention. It's also interesting to wonder... whether one can really copyright an idea like that. He is surely not the only person on earth to have ever thought of a machine that can read ancestral DNA and relive it through a computer. I am sure the scientists who have been studying DNA and instincts and memory have long wondered and postulated these things. . .

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
It's funny how he realized this after 4 games (not to mention the ones released on the PSP or the DS). Also I'm pretty sure, the idea is fairly common. In many stories/anime/etc. I remember at least one episode where the main character's mind goes behind the time to manifest itself inside the body of his/her ancestor. An easy example I can think of is one of the episodes in the rebooted Thundercats - cool episode by the way.

The fact that both AC & this novel chose to make this thing their "main" concept doesn't mean anything. I don't think Ubisoft needed to copy anything, since they use so many people for each AC game they release (like 5 Ubisoft studios in different countries or something), so yeah my opinion is that this guy wants some easy money.

Top Bottom