• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ubisoft sued over Assassins Creed story

Dark Drakan

Admin
93712652.jpg
Author of the novel Link John Beiswenger has sued Ubisoft over Assassins Creed and claims that they stole story ideas from his novel to create the entire Assassin's Creed universe. In his novel "Link," the plot introduces the conception and creation "of a device and process whereby ancestral memories can be accessed, recalled, relived, and re-experienced by the user in much the same way that the Animus concept came from. He then goes on to say that both Link and Assassins Creed include spiritual and religious tones, assassinations, and characters experiencing historical events through their ancestors’ memories.
He is quoted to have said the following...
Ubisoft have directly copied, and directly and contributorily infringed on the whole of Plaintiff’s copyrighted work.

"Link" was first published in 2003, 4 years before Assassins Creed was released and John Beiswenger is seeking 1.05 million in damages and up to $5.25 million if the judge rules Ubisoft knowingly infringed on the copyright which could also result in halting the release of Assassins Creed III and all related products. Ubisoft are yet to comment on the lawsuit...

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
While "Link" and Assassin's Creed seem rather similar, I highly doubt that it's a "whole story reference", as TV Tropes would put it. I believe that an idea is still original if you did not know it was used beforehand, as such I believe this is the situation with Assassin's Creed.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Holy Plain Sushi Batman!! Did Ubisoft really steal his story Dark Drakan?

No idea but the concepts are very similar and have themes that are closely linked (no pun intended). He will likely get a payout outside of the courts if it gets that far but not the amount he wants and it will all be forgotten about.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
No idea but the concepts are very similar and have themes that are closely linked (no pun intended). He will likely get a payout outside of the courts if it gets that far but not the amount he wants and it will all be forgotten about.
Wow that is crazy. Just like DT said I've never heard of this book before. This guy took long to bring up this issue. But if its proven for example that Ubisoft did totally steal the idea could that mean the end of the AC series?

Dark Drakan

Admin
Wow that is crazy. Just like DT said I've never heard of this book before. This guy took long to bring up this issue. But if its proven for example that Ubisoft did totally steal the idea could that mean the end of the AC series?

I thought the same as the original game came out in 2007 and there have been enough titles since, so why bring it up now? If its proven that they did steal the idea (highly unlikely) then theoretically they could come to some sort of agreement about further earnings. Though there is a slim chance that he could stop the company releasing any more titles.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Maybe the author doesn't play video games and thats why it took so long. But the fact that people want to read his book now after it seems like the sources of AC is a pretty slick move to make sales and if Ubisoft do give him a payout, the guy situation already looks better.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Is the AC series at its peak right now? (Perhaps that is why he chose to make a fuss now?)

Wallenb: I agree he did make a smart move to get folks to read his book.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Maybe the author doesn't play video games and thats why it took so long. But the fact that people want to read his book now after it seems like the sources of AC is a pretty slick move to make sales and if Ubisoft do give him a payout, the guy situation already looks better.

He has nothing to lose besides some legal fees I guess and in a world where people sue for anything it seems a sad case of publicity stunt and money grabbing if thats the case. If he is genuinely concerned they stole his idea and is merely trying to protect his work then fair enough.

Is the AC series at its peak right now? (Perhaps that is why he chose to make a fuss now?)

Did cross my mind as the series is worth more now than ever and id say that after ACIII it will be at its peak.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Perhaps he was in dire financial straits and decided to make his attack now?

Not a brilliant move with the legal costs if you end up losing the battle and all the legal fees too if that were the case. If you won then it would be a great move (though desperate and a little sad) but if not then it would dent credibility too.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Not a brilliant move with the legal costs if you end up losing the battle and all the legal fees too if that were the case. If you won then it would be a great move (though desperate and a little sad) but if not then it would dent credibility too.

Seems like he's taking quite the gamble then.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Seems like he's taking quite the gamble then.

Seems that way, especially with him wanting so much money and the games development halted as it would then effect the companies release schedule then staffs pay and the financial years results.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Does Ubisoft's silence make them look guilty in this case?

No of course not, they will take their time to put out an official statement as soon as they have looked into the claims. They will formulate a case first and evidence in their favour before speaking, they will use facts rather than assumption and accusations as hes using.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Thanks for answering that Dark Drakan. :) I wasn't sure if their silence was good or not. here's another thought. Does Link have a lot different main characters like AC does? I ask this because if the book has only one main character than Ubisoft has not completely stolen the idea but merely built upon it.

Top Bottom