• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Tutorials/guides.

Lifell

Hello!

I'm someone who tried getting into DMC4 a long time back. Actually learning the game and so forth. Didn't really work out like for most people. I mean, lots of people just don't make it past a certain point :p. Now DMC5 is out and I feel I wanna dive in some more. Going to say up right that I haven't completed the game yet but I feel like I really suck. I don't need to become some kind of god but when I finish the game I do want to become somewhat better at it. I feel now like I don't enjoy the game because I'm bad.

So, putting what I would like to hear into 1 sentence: Is there anyone who has tutorials/guides regarding this game and/or are thinking of making them? If so, could they link their youtube channels and what not here? Of course other ways is fine but I think for me personally a youtube video would be more helpful. Still I wouldn't say no to any written guide.

I figured I would make a thread so that others might benefit too. I can simply update this post with all the guides and tutorials that we can find. I will update this thread when I find more stuff but I did stumble upon 1 person who is planning on making tutorial videos :).

ChaserTech [youtube.com] Planning on making tutorial videos. Will start with the fundamentals and then move to character specifics.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Most DMC tutorial videos are for advanced combat technics. You want to start by walking before you start running.

If you like we can give you some tips and our take on the fundamentals.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
What Berto said. Maybe you could start by telling us what you feel your problems are and we'll go from there. Are you getting hit a lot? Dropping combos? Having difficulty managing weapon/Style switching? Forgetting moves?

Lifell

What Berto said. Maybe you could start by telling us what you feel your problems are and we'll go from there. Are you getting hit a lot? Dropping combos? Having difficulty managing weapon/Style switching? Forgetting moves?

Pretty much all of them :p. I'm new to the game. What I seem to be better at is dodging and quickly switching to royal guard to block. I also feel like I'm missing a lot of mechanics that I should be using. It's probably too embarrassing to show what I can do (or more likely how much I can't do).

What I have the most trouble with is switching to different weapons/styles and making it into 1 flow. I do forget moves and I also seem to repeat the same moves a bit too often. I also don't understand what the use of some things are. The problem is that I'm pretty sure I don't have all the weapons yet and definitely not all the moves.

I think I should first complete the game and start experimenting some more then. Things also die a bit too quickly now even though it still takes me way to long. I suppose your 2 comments made me realize I'm not ready yet to get into tutorials or guides. So, for now it's just playing and experimenting/learning for me. I don't know if any form of advice will do much but I'm always willing to hear some very basic tips xD.

I basically rushed ahead to learn all kinds of badass stuff while in reality I got a lot to learn with the very basics. That does sound like something I would do. Thanks for your comments!

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
A few people have got tips and training from me for jump canceling in the past , it will take too long to write out here

So I may make a video

But let's see what the others come up with first and then if u still want more I will jump in

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
So, for now it's just playing and experimenting/learning for me.

Yeah considering your problem seems to be that you can't chain moves seemlessly I think that's the approach you should take.

DMC5 comes with a training mode called The Void, it's very useful to solve that problem. It really comes down to muscle memory. I suggest you go in there and invent a combo, any combo, and repeat it over and over till you don't have to think about which buttons to press, it has to come out almost automatically.
Do this for as many weapon/combination of weapons as you want and you'll see big improvements.

Lifell

A few people have got tips and training from me for jump canceling in the past , it will take too long to write out here

So I may make a video

But let's see what the others come up with first and then if u still want more I will jump in

I suggest u master the enemy step technique first , it's the basis off most aerial combo chains

I think videos are always appreciated for anyone though. As long as they wanna learn. The game itself already holds up in just "casual combo-ing" however. So these advanced kind of thingies is not for everyone. Maybe it's a bit too much for me as well but I don't seem to know the basics yet so I wouldn't know for now.

I actually tried the enemy step in DMC4 but it seems to be a lot easier in DMC5? It's the technique where you are aerial with an enemy and you basically slash -> jump off of him (using his face basically :p) -> repeat? If you do it fast enough you can basically lock yourself with the enemy in the air and keep slashing him. Of course that can be used way more advanced than just that or you can even do it when a enemy is still on the ground.

Yeah considering your problem seems to be that you can't chain moves seemlessly I think that's the approach you should take.

DMC5 comes with a training mode called The Void, it's very useful to solve that problem. It really comes down to muscle memory. I suggest you go in there and invent a combo, any combo, and repeat it over and over till you don't have to think about which buttons to press, it has to come out almost automatically.
Do this for as many weapon/combination of weapons as you want and you'll see big improvements.

Void is something I haven't looked into yet because I feel that I should first complete the game and unlock everything. After that the void is experiment heaven yeah :]. Making up loose combo's without being too creative for now is actually a good idea. Just loose combo's I can do with a variety of weapons and so forth. When I got a few I can always mess around some more and build from there.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Basically once you can enemy step properly it doesn't just loop enemies in place on mid air , it also resets attack animations allowing you to buffer in and chain together long intricate combos you can't do with the standard moveset

Royal guard used with the dive kick and air hike can allow you to bounce around the air like a pin ball

Inertia will act like a magnet for you with guns too

There is a lot to mastering these things , so it depends on the level you are aiming for

Lifell

Basically once you can enemy step properly it doesn't just loop enemies in place on mid air , it also resets attack animations allowing you to buffer in and chain together long intricate combos you can't do with the standard moveset

Royal guard used with the dive kick and air hike can allow you to bounce around the air like a pin ball

Inertia will act like a magnet for you with guns too

There is a lot to mastering these things , so it depends on the level you are aiming for

Ah, that explains a lot. Resetting your whole move set sounds pretty badass. What is this "Inertia" you're talking about? And I don't really know what I'm aiming for yet honestly. Just felt like this game could be so much more fun :p. I'll just play and play some more.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Inertia is basically the drifting and magnetism caused by certain moves that drifts u away from or draws you into enemies

Can be useful and also looks cool

Taramafor

Use lock on. A lot. Actually use it ALL the time. Use it to dodge. use it to attack. I like to hide the image for it myself. You can tell which enemy you're targeting because you FACE them. And it's always the closest one unless you change target.

Move around when charging up the guns. You can do a lot of damage but you can't afford to get hit either. Don't lock on when running around. You do that for well timed dodges or attacks (if you think you're going to get it dodge first, charge later).

Use ONE weapon at a time (unless you're exceeding as you charge the pistol. You can still move). Don't try any switch weapon combo stuff as Dante in mid combos at first. I personally prefer this when fighting a certain bad guy with just my sword.

Practice dodging sideways with lock on. Do it outside of a fight first. Then do it with a single enemy you face. Get used to timing dodges. Same for doge jumping. Practice air hiking too. It's all about knowing the attack patterns of the enemies. What makes them recoil or what has to be dodged. When to play it safe and when to lay into them.

DON'T try to hit an enemy that is going crazy. Like a glowing berserker. That's the kind of enemy you'll want to dodge. Find one. Kill everything else. Practice side stepping. You can hit them when they're not glowing though. Can when they do but they won't recoil.

Forward slash attacks are useful. Mainly to close the distance. But also for damage. Exceed maxed does a lot of damage too. This will be VERY useful at the last fight at times.

The first boss teaches you one simple thing. Doge first, attack later. When attacking big bosses like this, aim high. Attack in the air. Air hike away if an attack is high (like the slam attack). This will be VERY useful later on. You'll have to fight this guy again as V. I'd pick the bird and do forward lock on attacks with held attacks. Just be sure to be ready to double jump (the bird carries you but it teleports RIGHT to you. Also handy for getting said bird out of danger).

You'll get comfortable as Nero eventually. But THEN you start playing as V. Don't try to spam the bird all the time. Hold attacks and forward attacks are more effective. The panther can be spammed but mix it up. It's basically lock on and forward attack or lock on and back attack. Or holding the attack. You need to do this for all the characters but V drills it into you. By the way, you can spam attacks and still taunt in the middle of a fight with him and KEEP attacking AS he taunts. Which is VERY entertaining.

So you got used to Nero and V but NOW you're Dante. And got to get the hang of all the tricks you have. Practice them one at a time. I level up trickster first. THE most useful style IMO. You can get out of trouble quick AND teleport to an enemy quickly. AND get the high ground in boss fights easily. The weapons themselves you can practice with. Royal guard blocks attacks and you can counter at max rank (useful for those lizard assassin things). Gunslinger adds extra gun attacks. Swordmaster will have you laying on the hurt big time. But dodge before hitting. So master Trickster for those really big fights.

You can also go to the void and check you move list. But the enemy there won't attack you. So it's probably better to practice against real enemies if you wan't to focus on dodging.

Lifell

Inertia is basically the drifting and magnetism caused by certain moves that drifts u away from or draws you into enemies

Can be useful and also looks cool

Fair enough, I think I've seen that in a clip on twitter a few times. Thanks for the explanation :]

Awesome tips Taramafor. Some I've discovered already but fail to use properly and others are new :]. Will just keep working at it. I'm not a total newbie in hack & slash games though, locking on makes for nice moves and nice dodges. Only thing that is very annoying is switching lock-on target. Being stationary just to switch targets with pressing the left thumbstick is weird.

I'm really noticing that I'm getting better though. Dante is fun to play although I do like Nero as well. Not a fan of "V" for now. Might come later, maybe I just don't get the point. I do have the feeling I'm playing "V" wrong.

Taramafor

I don't bother to change target myself. I wait for the enemy to get close, lock on then dodge/attack. Even targeting specific enemies can be done by using the direction when locking on. But it might be easier to just let loose with a weapon attack (like a charged revolver).

Top Bottom