• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Tomb Raider Reboot Described as Emotional Survival Adventure Game

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
After the past few unremarkable Tomb Raider games and movies, the name Lara Croft probably doesn’t inspire thoughts of adventuring like the original classics did. In the most recent issue of GameInformer Crystal Dynamics explains how the reboot will change how we see the franchise.With the new character design, a new open world environment and a more emotional story, Tomb Raider looks to be one of the most impressive reboots of a game to date.

The first change we see with the new vision is a redesign of Lara herself. The goal of the new game is to take the heart of the Tomb Raider series and replant it into a new world, one in which a 21 year old Croft, embarks on her first real adventure. The story begins with Lara caught in the midst of a horrific storm that sinks her boat and strands her on an island alone. Lara must face her own existence, facing both physical and mental challenges to become the tough heroine that we recognize today. The designer’s at Crystal Dynamics wanted to create a newer and more relatable character, but still keep the iconic nature and the overall feel of the Lara Croft we all know. To start with, her facial features have been repressed some. Proportionally, the eyes, nose and mouth are the same, but the face is a softer, more rounded. Crystal Dynamics hope that this will give her a slightly more vulnerable look and present players with a more believable hero. Other changes include body parts such as hips being shrunken to fit a more agile and utilitarian woman.

One key goal for the game is to allow the new Lara Croft to become an emotional character and express feelings throughout the story, such as fear and desperation. In fact, the whole beginning of the game focuses on this idea. Lara starts with almost nothing except the clothes on her back, and through the story, the sense of fear is intensely abundant. The developers call it a “survival-adventure” game. This is apparent when in the first sequence when she has fight for her life multiple times. Crystal Dynamics have also implemented the camera to show off the new found emotions, turning the camera at times allowing the player to see Lara’s expressions and actions.

The gameplay for Tomb Raider will be similar to the original style but with a few key differences. For one, the world will be an open one. Players can free-roam across the map, and are encouraged to explore. However the game is not a sandbox title. Scripted events will take place and progress story in key locations, but areas can be accessed at any time. Puzzles in game will be less specific and require more of a cleaver way to solve a problem rather than using environmental effects. Leveling in the game is handled using a gradual progression and skill sets. At a “base camp”, players can upgrade Lara and access new areas with the new skills. So far, any news regarding combat has been held silent, but early screens and story promote versatility for items.

Although still only little is known about the game, it sounds incredible so far. This fresh look at Lara Croft is promising, full to the brim with emotion and adventure, but still keeping the heart of the franchise that fans have come to enjoy.

[Source: GameInformer]

Source: http://spawnkill.com/2010/12/07/tomb-raider-reboot-described-as-emotional-survival-adventure-game/

Awesome. Can't wait for it. :D

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Making her softer looking makes her lose her 'edge' that she's had for so long. They've ruined TR imo, and it's such a shame.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
LordOfDarkness;292255 said:
Making her softer looking makes her lose her 'edge' that she's had for so long. They've ruined TR imo, and it's such a shame.
Remember, shes younger and this supposed to be her first adventure into what would be the standard for all future TR games, provided this sells well of course. They are trying to reboot the entire franchise from what I've read on NeoGaf and in my Game Informer issue (I got it in the mail yesterday). Considering Tomb Raider hasn't been doing well critically or financially, this may be their best bet into keeping Tomb Raider from falling into a state of "no one gives a **** about" like Tony Hawk. Although it might not be much to change your mind though however. :lol:

I'm personally digging this right now. It sounds more survival horror-ish than anything, and I need a new survival horror game cause Resident Evil isnt survival horror anymore and Dead Space 2 sounds more action-ish than what Dead Space was and that one was full of action as is, just enough flair to make me jump a few times....well alot. :lol:

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I just wouldn't want to see 14 years of Development Ideas and Story Ideas thrown out of the window for a Reboot that may not be the answer.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
LordOfDarkness;292260 said:
I just wouldn't want to see 14 years of Development Ideas and Story Ideas thrown out of the window for a Reboot that may not be the answer.

I can understand the development idea concerns if you are a fan who was attracted to Tomb Raider for the puzzling adventure and platforming (although this one sounds like it has those elements, just in a more survival horror-ish way) however, Tomb Raider has very inconsistant and very non compelling stories though. She had like three different background stories as is on the older Tomb Raider games.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Esura;292264 said:
I can understand the development idea concerns if you are a fan who was attracted to Tomb Raider for the puzzling adventure and platforming (although this one sounds like it has those elements, just in a more survival horror-ish way) however, Tomb Raider has very inconsistant and very non compelling stories though. She had like three different background stories as is on the older Tomb Raider games.

Well put, + Rep ^_^

I just don't appreciate the change, that's just my opinion on the subject. It doesn't look atrocious, and I'll probably take more of a look at it when it comes out. My girlfriend will probably get it if anything, so I can experience what it's like when I play it myself.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Series went downhill the longer it went on and the last few were dull and didnt bring nothing special to the table. This might be what the series needs to reinvigorate it.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Dark Drakan;292267 said:
Series went downhill the longer it went on and the last few were dull and didnt bring nothing special to the table. This might be what the series needs to reinvigorate it.

You're right in what you're saying. However, if the same people couldn't pull anything special off with the previous stories they had surrounding TR, what makes everyone assume they have something special now? =/

Dark Drakan

Admin
LordOfDarkness;292269 said:
You're right in what you're saying. However, if the same people couldn't pull anything special off with the previous stories they had surrounding TR, what makes everyone assume they have something special now? =/

Might not be special but its different and they are trying something drastic to reinvigorate the series instead of the same tried and tested formula which has gotten stale.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Dark Drakan;292271 said:
Might not be special but its different and they are trying something drastic to reinvigorate the series instead of the same tried and tested formula.

Fair point again, and I understand what you're saying. And with no means of arguing here, I'll just make another point. What happens if they ruin the story again with this 'Reboot', or whatever it is we're meant to call it? We'll be going back to square one, or square two or whatever.

Has a Game Company ever messed up a Gaming Series twice? I fear with current Reboots, we may all see the same thing happening again. Then the ideas will either be scrapped, rendering years of hard work as pointless. Also annoying long time fans of these things. And causing unnecessary rage. Or remade over and over again, until they can get the story all properly laid out. Then again, I guess they wouldn't pay these people so much money to ruin things. Although in this case, it feels like Tomb Raider has been classed as 'ruined for a long time now', and in need of refreshing.

I guess we all have to wait and see, much like with DmC.

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
LordOfDarkness;292260 said:

I could say the same thing about DmC and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It depends on how well the developer can do the reboot of the game series is. So far, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a good reboot, and I am surprised on how good it is, despite it's 'similar' game mechanics borrowed from other games. About DmC however, we need to see some new stuffs like new info to see how good it is, or better yet, gameplay trailer.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Chaos Master;292282 said:
I could say the same thing about DmC and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. It depends on how well the developer can do the reboot of the game series is. So far, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow is a good reboot, and I am surprised on how good it is, despite it's 'similar' game mechanics borrowed from other games. About DmC however, we need to see some new stuffs like new info to see how good it is, or better yet, gameplay trailer.

Least they arent changing the main character entirely, just showing what she was before the Lara we know and everyone starts as inexperienced rookie at some point so its not to much of a stretch for the character.

BlueDevil

Super Penguin Number 2
Premium
I think I found a few screens for the game, though they are bad in quality. The one with the three creatures is no doubt for this game, as it even says 'Crystal Dynamics' in the bottom right.

tomb-raider-new.jpg

tomb-raider-reboot-4.jpg

tomb-raider-reboot-5-590x442.jpg

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
Dark Drakan;292287 said:
Least they arent changing the main character entirely, just showing what she was before the Lara we know and everyone starts as inexperienced rookie at some point so its not to much of a stretch for the character.

Yeah. I find that this reboot is rather more faithful to it's original game storyline than other reboots. Also, this reboot seems much more interesting than DmC and Castlevania reboots.

kenjiharimaCU

Street Fighter Fan
Chaos Master;292350 said:
Yeah. I find that this reboot is rather more faithful to it's original game storyline than other reboots. Also, this reboot seems much more interesting than DmC and Castlevania reboots.

These are my exact thoughts.

Not really a TR fan, but overall I think the new look is great. ^_^

Top Bottom