• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

To those who give DINO a chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
i personally don't understand what the big fuss is over. so they reskinned the main character and made him a smoker. it's made by the same company and team that have been entertaining DMC fans since the first installment, and with a new highly reputable engine. it's cannon, and in my experience prequels have the best plot spoilers of most all later installments in both video games and movies.

would a Leonardo DiCaprio fan refuse to see his new movie because he played a different role than he did in Inception? not at all. you go by the people who review the new movie rather than judge it by it's cover.

i get that you all are extremely loyal to the classic dante. but passing up a future title before even giving it a chance? that i can't understand. also, i don't get where this "DINO" nickname came from. it took me a while to figure out what it even was.

Meg

^ I think I can answer that. The point is that a lot of us liked the old Dante and are under the impression of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." NT talks about wanting to make Dante and DmC "cool." Judging from that as well as the trailer I can assume that the cheesy, almost campy-ness of the original DMCs isn't go to be in the new game. Instead it will seriously try to be "cool." The thing that I really loved about the series was how it never took itself to seriously. While I know it is to early to tell I am under the impression that DmC isn't going to be the same as the other games and I'm not happy about it. Whether or not I will buy the game, at this point, remains to be seen.

And I like calling him DINO because it makes it easy to differentiate between the two.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Meg;279872 said:
^ I think I can answer that. The point is that a lot of us liked the old Dante and are under the impression of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." NT talks about wanting to make Dante and DmC "cool." Judging from that as well as the trailer I can assume that the cheesy, almost campy-ness of the original DMCs isn't go to be in the new game. Instead it will seriously try to be "cool." The thing that I really loved about the series was how it never took itself to seriously. While I know it is to early to tell I am under the impression that DmC isn't going to be the same as the other games and I'm not happy about it. Whether or not I will buy the game, at this point, remains to be seen.

And I like calling him DINO because it makes it easy to differentiate between the two.

I agree with everything you say. But I wanted to elaborate on your points. Who the hell thinks smoking is cool anyway? Smoking is seriously bad for you and unhealthy. And Dante's shape stays fine because he does essentially work out from killing demons. But his human side would be effected by his smoking, so maybe that's why he gives it up. This Dante seems to be a 'seriously' confused Dante. Not sure of who or what he wants to actually become yet. I suppose he was never expecting to become a Legend. I'm hoping that this Dante is prior to Devil May Cry 3 Dante, as to which I have no problem. But if they continue with this guy and with his looks for the future of the Series, I won't buy any of the games ever again. This Dante should mould into the Dante we know now. The more stylish and ****y Dante, with the cheesiness.

And isn't trying to make something cool, uncool? I think so.

Meg

LordOfDarkness;279876 said:
I agree with everything you say. But I wanted to elaborate on your points. Who the hell thinks smoking is cool anyway? Smoking is seriously bad for you and unhealthy. And Dante's shape stays fine because he does essentially work out from killing demons. But his human side would be effected by his smoking, so maybe that's why he gives it up. This Dante seems to be a 'seriously' confused Dante. Not sure of who or what he wants to actually become yet. I suppose he was never expecting to become a Legend. I'm hoping that this Dante is prior to Devil May Cry 3 Dante, as to which I have no problem. But if they continue with this guy and with his looks for the future of the Series, I won't buy any of the games ever again. This Dante should mould into the Dante we know now. The more stylish and ****y Dante, with the cheesiness.

And isn't trying to make something cool, uncool? I think so

Agree with you 100% on that. Trying to make something cool is being fake in my mind. Dante was cool because well...he was just Dante. I also have no problem with DINO so long as he molds into the Dante we know, as you said. No one is perfect and it would make sense for a half demon kid to have some problems.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
LordOfDarkness;279876 said:
Who the hell thinks smoking is cool anyway? Smoking is seriously bad for you and unhealthy.
And isn't trying to make something cool, uncool? I think so.

and yet...

Wikipedia said:
Kamiya based his idea of Dante on what he perceived as "Stylish" -- with a long coat to make the character "showy", witty like a "British guy", and a non-smoker since Kamiya sees that as more cool.
SOURCE

so while that quote further underlines the new dantes departure from classic Devil May Cry... the original was designed to be cool as well. <_<

i'd also like to point out that to a smoker smoking is cool. if you don't smoke, and look down on it, that's fine. but i wanted to point out that myself and many others don't see it that way. and before someone turns that into a "smokers are just out to act tough" i want to add that if we looked down on smoking, being smokers, it would lead to a lot of self esteem complications, don't you think? =]

Meg

^ He was designed to be cool but the games as well as the character himself were cheesy, almost campy, and never took themselves to seriously as I've said before. From what I've seen so far I'd say the new game isn't going to be like that and that makes me sad. :(

Cuervo

Meg;279985 said:
^ He was designed to be cool but the games as well as the character himself were cheesy, almost campy, and never took themselves to seriously as I've said before. From what I've seen so far I'd say the new game isn't going to be like that and that makes me sad. :(

That's funny, because that makes me happy.

The pseudo-seriousness of the original DMC storyline made it for something I never really cared about or became invested in.

Meg

^ Well then I guess its just a matter of taste then. To me there are enough really serious games out there. I thought DMC was refreshing.

moseslmpg

Uh, DMC1 was totally serious. It was just pulled off with some cheesiness because of the writing. DMC1 Dante wasn't satirical, he was supposed to represent a kind of cynical, world weary type hero, similar to the noir genre. Sure, it wasn't as engrossing as MGS or something, but that doesn't mean it wasn't serious.

And btw, regardless of how stupid it is, smoking is considered cool in our society. If it wasn't, I don't think nearly as many people would do it. That said, I don't like the way Dino does it. He's all effeminate and European with it. I wouldn't be surprised if he has one of those cigarette holders that Cruella De Ville uses.

Dominus

Meg;280027 said:
^ You can't deny DMC3 was pretty silly though.

But the voice acting was much better so the cheesiness didn't feel as overly present...aka the dark soul with light line. In fact I didn't find most of Dante's cheesiness in DMC1 to be that comical, just bad. DMC3 got the cheesiness right and intertwined it with insane action feats. It's probably why I like DMC3 much more than DMC1 (besides an improved fighting engine).

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I swear I am the only person on Earth who likes DMC1's VA and it's battle system more than the other games.

Meg

Dominus;280048 said:
But the voice acting was much better so the cheesiness didn't feel as overly present...aka the dark soul with light line. In fact I didn't find most of Dante's cheesiness in DMC1 to be that comical, just bad. DMC3 got the cheesiness right and intertwined it with insane action feats. It's probably why I like DMC3 much more than DMC1 (besides an improved fighting engine).

EXACTLY! :D

darkslayer101

Dominus;280048 said:
i didnt feel DMC3 was cheesy at all...Vergil's VA was the best....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQeRRZv8YcM
i still get chills when Vergil says in the first battle with Dante..."You got that right.."

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Okay okay okay, I think I have something that has hit my attention.

You guys and girls are talking about seriousness and cheesiness. And I have come to a decision, that neither are cool. I base this decision on the following statement. They are both only cool when used frequently together. For instance, Meg, you like it when it's not so serious. Yet you still like the games when they are serious. Meaning that you enjoy the two sides to the characteristics. Then there are others that just want the game to be serious. But I bet those ****y smart-mouthed one-liners pulled off, giving an air of cheesy clichés also go down well. Therefore, when seriousness and non seriousness are balanced accordingly, then we have a character we feel relaxed and happy with.

All Devil May Cry games are 'serious', because of the story that is being portrayed. The only thing that makes it less serious is the characters words or actions. Mainly being that of the main protagonist Dante, who likes to mess around at times. This is a characteristic that he harbours a good proportion of the time he spends defeating demons and Devils. Then again, he has to make it more fun somehow. He takes the less serious approach to irritate his opponents. He's just having fun, that's him. He knows serious, and not serious. And the mixture of the two is the perfect personality combination that makes him unique and loved.

I could be wrong in what I'm saying, but I don't think Devil May Cry is the only example I could give. Take most things, and you won't just find one definite side to it that has to be that way.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
LordOfDarkness;280120 said:
Okay okay okay, I think I have something that has hit my attention.

You guys and girls are talking about seriousness and cheesiness. And I have come to a decision, that neither are cool. I base this decision on the following statement. They are both only cool when used frequently together. For instance, Meg, you like it when it's not so serious. Yet you still like the games when they are serious. Meaning that you enjoy the two sides to the characteristics. Then there are others that just want the game to be serious. But I bet those ****y smart-mouthed one-liners pulled off, giving an air of cheesy clichés also go down well. Therefore, when seriousness and non seriousness are balanced accordingly, then we have a character we feel relaxed and happy with.

All Devil May Cry games are 'serious', because of the story that is being portrayed. The only thing that makes it less serious is the characters words or actions. Mainly being that of the main protagonist Dante, who likes to mess around at times. This is a characteristic that he harbours a good proportion of the time he spends defeating demons and Devils. Then again, he has to make it more fun somehow. He takes the less serious approach to irritate his opponents. He's just having fun, that's him. He knows serious, and not serious. And the mixture of the two is the perfect personality combination that makes him unique and loved.

I could be wrong in what I'm saying, but I don't think Devil May Cry is the only example I could give. Take most things, and you won't just find one definite side to it that has to be that way.

you could really be on to something there.
i think that's what underlines some of the most popular superheroes. maybe not superman or batman, as each underline a different extreme in morality. spider man or iron man definitely fit your theory, though. if spider man was completely whimsical, his story would lose all believability. it's full of very dark themes characters. iron man is a very tragic hero who has an almost childish side with his massive wealth. i think both of these characters have more popular films (except batman, but people watch those for a different sense of heroism) because having both of those elements in a good balance is more attractive.

personally i prefer spider man, but either one provides evidense to your theory. :cool:

have some rep.

EDIT: now that i think about it more... i'd say batman actually fits into your theory too. he's the darkest, most serious, superhero i think that's made it to mainstream. yet look at his villains. sure, most of them are complete mental cases, but you have to admit the joker adds an element of humor to the mix despite his deranged mind. not to mention robin was always the comic relief to the srs bsns protector of gotham. mr. freeze, yeah he's complete srs bsns. but poison ivy throws some lust into the mix so it's never really a completely serious series. part of the beauty of it is that they manage to have an average CEO putting on a batman costume as something that isn't a comical element. it's practically the reverse of most other hero stories when you think about it.

GTH

Trickster
they should give him a hat with bells
79022.jpg

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
the biggest problem of devil may cry is that it never had one team sticking with it for the long-run so it had no direction and that was the only thing keeping the series back.
so in a way the reboot might be a blessing because if ninja theory sticks with the series they probably have a direction for it because they are pretty good with storytelling.
Dante didnt need a makeover but he could have used a new wardrobe but even with the new makeover he is still dante as actions speak louder than words such as when he stuck that cigarrette in that demons eye.

not a fan girl

I like dmc not for what the characters look like but for its over the top epicness and gameplay what this game needs is to REALLY deepen the combat by adding 20+ weapons (select 6 before each level) and 10+ styles (choose which 4 two use)

This time they really have to make the guns more fun to use. Why not have eboney and ivory included combos and finishers instead of just mashing the fire button (how cool would it be to jump on a near dead enemys shoulders and shoot them repeatedly in the face to finish them before flipping off again)

if ninjia theroy even make an attempt at this i will buy this game

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Vampi;276697 said:
And in this thread alone, no one has given a definitive reason on why we Original DMC fans should treat it as a DMC game. So until that reason comes (which i doubt it'll ever due to this Conformist forum), i will treat this..."DmC" or whatever the hell they call it, as a new IP.

I'll spoil y'all with more than just one reason ^_^

- Fans were disappointed with DMC4 because Dante was not the main protagonist.
* Dante is the main protagonist in DmC

- Fans have been complaining about Dante's style becoming monotonous
* Dante has new weapons (and will most likely have new styles to go with it) in DmC

- Fans have been wanting all their questions answered about Dante, or at least given an explanation about why things are the way they are
* DmC is all about Dante's origins: answers are gauranteed

- Fans have been whining about Dante's character becoming stale
* DmC gives Dante new flavour to counter the staleness

- Fans want more gore, more violence, more badassery
* Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yODXOeKSfH0

Now that the fans' demands have been met on Capcom's terms, the fans are complaining AGAIN because 'we didn't want this!' Newsflash people! We've only been asking for this since DMC4 came out!

Here's the reality: Capcom couldn't give us all of the things we wanted in the current storyline. There are too many plotholes, too many little things that don't make sense, and it was prerequisite of Capcom that IF they do another DMC game, it has to go more westernized or it's a no go. The only way to give the fans what they've been wanting without butchering the series is a reboot.

That's my two cents on the matter.

...and FFS, it's DANTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom