• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Thoughts on game addiction

aka958

Don't trust people
I have not experienced game addiction. I play games the majority of my days but I can stop whenever I want. But... I kind of play games to block my mind off for a while. It makes things feel easier.

Richtofen

Nein, not ze puppies!
Premium
Some games are made to help people. The wii wants the players to be more physically active. Nintendo DS has brain age games to help keep your brain in tune. Why not go outside and read books? It depends on the person. Some like visual stimulation and it helps guides you. It's when you start taking a game or games real personal that starts that spark to keep playing.

moseslmpg

wallE156;291171 said:
@moses I think you are thinking more in terms of substance abuse. No offense. But being "addicted" to video games is more of a behavioral addiction which can be summed up as an individual compulsively and repeatedly taking part in an activity regardless of the negative consequences. I'd say Meg was addicted too.
The only difference between them is that substance abuse involves concrete, chemical reinforcement for certain behavior. My only point in linking them was to emphasize that just because it isn't a drug doesn't mean it is any less of an addiction. Playing games release pleasurable hormones and stimulate centers of the brain just as drugs do, after all.

wallE156

The Devil's Advocate
moseslmpg;291414 said:
The only difference between them is that substance abuse involves concrete, chemical reinforcement for certain behavior. My only point in linking them was to emphasize that just because it isn't a drug doesn't mean it is any less of an addiction. Playing games release pleasurable hormones and stimulate centers of the brain just as drugs do, after all.
I agree with you that it isn't any less of an addiction. I was just getting at that it doesn't necessarily have to mess up your entire life to be an addiction. It just has to be something you do compulsively over and over again despite the negative consequences. That's all I was getting at. ^_^

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
moseslmpg;291154 said:
Darth: I assume you came to that conclusion after deciding that you, one person, form a valid sample size for all gamers of all ages and backgrounds, playing every genre of game. And I guess because you smoked one cigarette and didn't get addicted, nicotine is just "in people's minds." :rolleyes:
Yeah that was really ignorant and judgemental wasn't it? Like assuming you know someones gaming history when you don't...

I don't ever speak for anybody but myself infact I go out of my way to ensure I use words like "personally" and "IMO"

Top Bottom