• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

There's No Reason Link Can't Be A Girl

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
You know what can be a good thing? Options. Especially when it comes to gaming. I know I can't be the only one who enjoys it when video games allow the player to approach a situation in a multitude of ways. Or when they let me customize every little detail of my character's outfit. It can give us more of a sense of immersion. A way to enjoy a piece of entertainment our way. Which is why I think a pretty good step in the innovation department for a Zelda title, is allowing the player to choose Link's gender.

Now, I understand this debate has been brought up many times before. Usually with a lot of definite answers from hardcore Zelda enthusiast. However, is there really any reason why we can't have a change like this? Short answer: Nope. Long answer incoming. To finally end this debate once and for all.

When we look at Link as a character, we know that he's the destined savior of the world. Caught in an endless cycle of reincarnation to fix things when evil is afoot time and time again. There is no rule specifically stating the hero (or any other character for that matter in this prophecy) is born a specific gender each time.

Another thing Nintendo has settled on when it comes to Link, is that he's supposed to be the vessel the player can project themselves upon. Allowing the player to choose Link's gender at the start of their quest is nothing but an extension of this concept.

Sure, a decision like this would cause backlash. One of the defining aspects of the internet is "nerd rage". But Link is a video game icon you can do something like this and it would make the most sense. This isn't like gender reversing someone like Mario. That would certainly come off as something that's more like nonsensical pandering than anything, and Mario is more of a caricature of a masculine archetype.

Without a doubt this would be nothing but a positive drop in the bucket when it comes to the industry. Representation and diversity is definitely where the gaming can stumble often. It's almost sad how many variations of the same, generic, scruffy looking white dude we see as gaming protagonist. A video game icon like Link being the platform for such a move could be a decision that creates quite a splash. I really hope Nintendo has thought of something like this.

Everyone keeps calling him Zelda anyway.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I thought you raised a decent point, and more importantly, the choice is still there. Link wouldn't be solely one gender or the other--the gamer can choose, based on their preference. Do I like him as a guy? Of course, because it's how I've always known him. However, that doesn't mean I'm not open to seeing what it would be like to have a female Hero of time. Besides, when you look at the grand scheme of reincarnation, the soul has no gender.

So in sum, who's to say Link couldn't come back as a girl? And if he did, what would be wrong with that? Being a Hero isn't gender specific, right? ;)

Everyone keeps calling him Zelda anyway.

Hahaha! So you did decide to put it in there, after all. :laugh:

KRSkull

I remember reading somewhere that in the first legend of Zelda game Link was originally supposed to be a girl but they changed the idea later on.

Absent Nova

Phantom Thief
I wouldn't mind Link being a girl, I'd still pick the guy version because it's the version I've known since forever. But I see your point Chancey.

PS: Why isn't Zelda a playable character?

King-Sess

The Zelda Fanatic
Link cannot be a girl, no. He's been established as a male character since 1985.

It would do far more harm than good to swap his gender, especially with how so many people are confused with his gender already.

However, an option to pick between a male protagonist (Link) and a female protagonist in the same vein as Pokemon would be perfectly fine.

- - -

Also, ask yourself this; Does Link himself really need to be female when the franchise as a whole has such a large female presence?

The four major gods are all female, most of the sages and other such characters are female, Zelda's obviously female, etc.

I'm not against the option of having a different, female protagonist to choose from, but I don't think Link himself needs to be female.

That's just how I feel, though. *shrugs*

Last edited:

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
and there's no reason for him to be a girl too, not after all these years.. just create a new female character..

now i hope nintendo isn't reading this thread and think it's a good idea and "hey, let's gender swap link"

King-Sess

The Zelda Fanatic
I thought that there were three major gods?

There's four if you count Hylia from Skyward Sword.

There are the Gods of Old (a.k.a the Golden Goddesses) who are Farore (Courage), Din (Power), and Nayru (Wisdom).

Then there is the goddess Hylia who is the Goddess of Time.
Who also happens to shed her immortal form to become the very first Zelda, and every reincarnated Zelda after.

Last edited:

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I'd rather play as Zelda. She's a more interesting character in games like Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks. An original female character is better than gender-swapping an already-existing one.

Chance, I love ya man, I really do...but what you're asking for is the Female Thor solution, not the Wonder Woman solution.

KRSkull

There's four if you count Hylia from Skyward Sword.

There are the Gods of Old (a.k.a the Golden Goddesses) who are Farore (Courage), Din (Power), and Nayru (Wisdom).

Then there is the goddess Hylia who is the Goddess of Time.
Who also happens to shed her immortal form to become the very first Zelda, and every reincarnated Zelda after.

Oh i see. Well i haven't played Skyward Sword.

King-Sess

The Zelda Fanatic
I'd rather play as Zelda. She's a more interesting character in games like Twilight Princess and Spirit Tracks. An original female character is better than gender-swapping an already-existing one.

Chance, I love ya man, I really do...but what you're asking for is the Female Thor solution, not the Wonder Woman solution.

I think it would actually be quite interesting to have the option to play as Zelda, tbh.

She's quite interesting in The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword, especially with how she actually is of some assistance and not just the damsel in distress the entire game.

Plus, even when she becomes the damsel in distress, she ends up being able to help in the final battle(s) in some way.

KRSkull

I think it would actually be quite interesting to have the option to play as Zelda, tbh.

She's quite interesting in The Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword, especially with how she actually is of some assistance and not just the damsel in distress the entire game.

Plus, even when she becomes the damsel in distress, she ends up being able to help in the final battle(s) in some way.

I agree and let's not forget that she can transform into sheik. in other word she is more of a Warrior Princess than a Disney Princess.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I agree and let's not forget that she can transform into sheik. in other word she is more of a Warrior Princess than a Disney Princess.
My dream was to get a Zelda game where Zelda herself would be a tall, armor-clad warrior princess....like Diana in the Wonder Woman comics.
wonder_woman_in_armor_by_michaeldooney-d5d5w3o.jpg

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
If they don't change Link to a female character then either have Zelda be a playable character or make a new character like have her be Link's daughter or something.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

When it came to Link, I was mainly thinking of things like Mass Effect or Halo Reach which allow you to choose the gender for your character.

I'm totally open for a Zelda game starring Zelda herself, and even a Gannondorf spinoff.

Top Bottom