• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

[Theory] Vergil May Still Be Alive

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
Vergil isn't dead. When Dante finally defeated Nelo Angelo, he was transported back into the Demon World. It's safe to assume that he's stuck, but how he gets out is a different story. This all ties into DMC4. The Order of the Sword was able to retrieve Yamato. If you recall, when Vergil was corrupted, his blade also took a drastic change in appearance and properties. Although it's still Yamato, it was no longer a katana, but rather, a black zweihänder. If you notice, Yamato is no longer in the state it was when held by Nelo Angelo. It was only in that state when Vergil was corrupted by Mundus. Now that the blade reverted back to its original form, it's very likely Vergil is back to normal as well. Vergil would've broke free from Mundus since Dante is the one who freed his soul in the final battle on Mallet Island. Yamato is broken in DMC4. Since Yamato is broken, the Nelo Angelo armor must've broke off, too. Now, since Dante reveals to Nero that the Order of the Sword members are demons, it's also safe to assume that they'd have connections with the Demon World. How else could they have retrieved Yamato? This is also evident when you read the description of Bionic Angelo enemies: "Made with fragments from the Dark Angel." Nelo Angelo is known as "The Dark Angel". This means that the Order of the Sword retrieved broken pieces of the armor (Nelo Angelo fragments: Used to construct demons, Yamato: Used to re-open the Hell Gate). Vergil still hasn't been found because his whereabouts in DMC4 are unknown. He could still be trying to find a way out of the Demon World for all we know. It's kind of scary to think about, though: Vergil was Nelo Angelo for nine years, since Mundus appeared right after DMC3's ending. (DMC1 takes place nine years after DMC3. Trish: You're the man who lost a mother and a brother to evil twenty years ago. >Twenty years ago, >Dante lost Eva when he was eight... Dante and Vergil are 28 in DMC1.) Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed my theory! I really hope to see Vergil make a kickass return in DMC5.

Also, since Yamato is with Nero now, I think the Sparda sword could probably be Vergil's new weapon of choice. Maybe he could steal it from Dante or something. Not gonna lie, it'd be pretty awesome to see him wield it. After all, he did wield Force Edge. I'm pretty sure he'd put it to good use, too. In DMC4, it was in the hands of a wrinkly old fart, lol. If Vergil can't have the sword, he'll have to find a way to get his trusty katana back.

Last edited:

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Vergil isn't dead. When Dante finally defeated Nelo Angelo, he was transported back into the Demon World. It's safe to assume that he's stuck, but how he gets out is a different story. This all ties into DMC4. The Order of the Sword was able to retrieve Yamato. If you recall, when Vergil was corrupted, his blade also took a drastic change in appearance, and properties. Although it's still Yamato, it was no longer a katana, but rather, a black zweihänder. If you notice, Yamato is no longer in the state it was when held by Nelo Angelo. It was only in that state when Vergil was controlled by Mundus. Now that the blade reverted back to its original form... It's very likely Vergil is back to normal as well. Vergil would've broke free from Mundus since Dante is the one who freed his soul in the final battle on Mallet Island. Yamato is broken in DMC4. Since Yamato is broken, the Nelo Angelo armor must've broke off too. Now, since Dante reveals to Nero that the Order of the Sword members are demons (just like them), it's also safe to assume that they would have connections with the Demon World. How else could they have retrieved Yamato? This is also evident when you read the description of Bionic Angelo enemies: "Made with fragments from the Dark Angel." Nelo Angelo IS known as "The Dark Angel". This means that the Order of the Sword retrieved broken pieces of the armor (It's obvious their intentions were foul. Nelo Angelo fragments: Used to construct demons, Yamato: Used to re-open the Hell Gate). Vergil still hasn't been found because his whereabouts in DMC4 are unknown. He could still be trying to find a way out of the Demon World for all we know. It's kind of scary to think about though: Vergil was Nelo Angelo for ten years, since Mundus appeared right after DMC3's ending. (DMC1 takes place ten years after DMC3. Trish: You're the man who lost a mother and a brother to evil twenty years ago. >Twenty years ago, >Dante lost his mom when he was eight... Dante and Vergil are 28 in DMC1.) Anyway I hope you all enjoyed my theory! I really hope to see Vergil make a kickass return in DMC5.

Regarding the black zweihander Nero Angelo used, it's actually NOT really the Yamato, DMC3:SE only did that for the visual effect. So Yamato was somewhere for the ten years that Vergil's soul was enslaved in the Angelo armor. Also, Capcom pretty much out and out said that Vergil was dead as of his fight with Mundus during the recap info on DMC4, it specified that Nero Angelo wasn't physically Vergil, but his entrapped soul.

Chibi Dante

Keepin' it Stylish!
Premium
Regarding the black zweihander Nero Angelo used, it's actually NOT really the Yamato, DMC3:SE only did that for the visual effect. So Yamato was somewhere for the ten years that Vergil's soul was enslaved in the Angelo armor. Also, Capcom pretty much out and out said that Vergil was dead as of his fight with Mundus during the recap info on DMC4, it specified that Nero Angelo wasn't physically Vergil, but his entrapped soul.
It's never really been confirmed whether the black zweihander Nelo Angelo wielded was Yamato or not. All we can do is speculate. I know DMC3:SE did it for the visual effect but it still seemed pretty convincing considering Nelo Angelo came off as a Devil Trigger form in that game. Nelo Angelo in DMC1 was pretty much Vergil receiving enhancements to his original powers, but through a corrupted state. Also, I just re-watched "History of DMC" (From DMC4). It never said ANYTHING about Vergil being dead after his fight with Mundus. All it said was that he fell under sway to him, and became Nelo Angelo. So he was still alive, just through Nelo Angelo. It says that Vergil's soul was resting, not entrapped. Which implies that if he were to ever break free from Mundus' control, the son of Sparda would awake. DMC1: "It was there that he met a demon named Nelo Angelo, the transformed soul of his departed brother Vergil."

>Transformed soul of Dante's brother
>Meaning its still Vergil

Capcom says one thing but means another, lol. Never forget that. Also, if Nelo Angelo wasn't physically Vergil, what's this?

That says a lot IMO. It's indicated that he's possessed by Mundus to -some- degree. Otherwise, why would he be pained when remembering Dante and having his memories awoken? It's as if the soul of Vergil is fighting back. Anyway, I'm sure they'll surprise us and bring him back in some way.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
DMC1: "It was there that he met a demon named Nelo Angelo, the transformed soul of his departed brother Vergil."

That pretty well implicates that Vergil was in fact already dead, plus even if not by Mundus, he certainly was by the last Nero Angelo fight, since it's assumed Dante killed Angelo, even by Mundus' words "Vergil has failed"...and Mundus doesn't tend to let those who fail live...

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Vergil is dead. Quite frankly I'm tired of seeing the entire Devil May Cry plot revolving around these two and their family tree. I'm never going to disregard the first game's established canon in favor over a plot that clearly contradicts itself and also pretty much abandons the original. As far as I'm concerned, we never got a true sequel to Devil May Cry.I don't hate them but my nostalgic heartstrings just really sees DMC just abandoning the spirit of the first game all along.

I can accept the reboot for what it is though because of the intention behind it. It would be very narrow minded of me to say it sucks even though it's also not a good throwback to the original. I could have said that for 3 but I still love playing the game.

I've always had my own personal vision for a DMC reboot. If I wasn't busy and so much of a procrastinator at times then I might one day write the fanfiction. I've just been sick for the past few days so my brain is like half on.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I've always had my own personal vision for a DMC reboot. If I wasn't busy and so much of a procrastinator at times then I might one day write the fanfiction. I've just been sick for the past few days so my brain is like half on.

Yeah, been working on my own. Some of the ideas in the reboot, I have grown to love, especially the new version of Rebellion since it actually has some kind of supernatural purople like the Force Edge and Yamato do in DMC Classic.

...but that's a different subject of discussion... ~whistles

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Yeah, been working on my own. Some of the ideas in the reboot, I have grown to love, especially the new version of Rebellion since it actually has some kind of supernatural purople like the Force Edge and Yamato do in DMC Classic.

...but that's a different subject of discussion... ~whistles
Yea, I really love the new look of Rebellion, Ebony, and Ivory. They really have more of an otherworldy style to them now. Especially the guns. They're more distinct.

I don't have all the specifics sketched out but I know my version would have a completely new villain and everything. The world would also be a world where humans and demons already co exist with each other for better or worse. Like for example a demonic fight club run by demons that functions sort of like MMA in our world. I have a lot of ideas for it.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Yea, I really love the new look of Rebellion, Ebony, and Ivory. They really have more of an otherworldy style to them now. Especially the guns. They're more distinct.

I don't have all the specifics sketched out but I know my version would have a completely new villain and everything. The world would also be a world where humans and demons already co exist with each other for better or worse. Like for example a demonic fight club run by demons that functions sort of like MMA in our world. I have a lot of ideas for it.

~allows himself to be pulled into this tangent. XD~

Personally I like classic Eb and Iv, they kind'a represent Dante's human side as they're totally human made weapons, while Rebellion is the physical representation of his supernatureal bloodline. The ideas I had going actually place a lot of emphisis on seeing Dante and Vergil act like brothers, and then showing how Vergil snaps during their crusade to avenge their parents and remove the demonic manipulators of humanity, sort of a mix of Classic DMC with elements of Nt!DMC. They'd be cambions and not demon/angel hybrids, though it's actually Sparda's origins I ended up detailing more too. The Tony Redgrave origin also is a heavy part of the backstory I'm writing down, since I loved that aspect of Dante's past.

...we should really yap off thread somewhere. XD

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I would like to see Vergil returning to the series, but just for a brief time, like he coming back just to help Dante finish one strong demon and really dying this time, besides one demon who somehow takes Sparda's power again and can control it unlike Arkham? It would be cool to see Vergil's return to see his heir as nearly a grown ass man and say a decent goodbye to his loved brother. I think that Dante losing his brother and it meaning he losing his entire family adds more drama and meaning to his character, the morals that DMC try to pass on to the players needs that kind of protagonist who had a tough life but continues living as a happy man. Dante gives a lot of importance to humans abilities of never surrender and love, he must have suffered a lot for not being able to be with his family since as a child, but continues living and finding his happiness in his friends, job, sundaes, pizzas; different from his brother who wanted all the power he could gather to get rid of his humans emotions or to become a ultimate guardian who is able to protect anything he loves? Who knows...

I would like to see Vergil "living through Nero" in a symbolic way as he develops himself as a man, would be cool to see some of Vergil personality in Nero, but Nero would represent what he would be if he had not lived that tough life and not became that power seeking warrior, instead turning into a kind and fierce guardian to humanity and the people he cares (but kinda cold seeing from outside).

Your theory makes sense, Capcom can take a lot of directions to DMC plot if they make it coherent to the point it have reached. Leaving some empty spaces on a storyline gives room to creativity, and DMC has some usable blank spaces that could be explored better and make the characters much more deep and the story overall much more touching. I think that the foundations of DMC's story has a great potential to be explored in many ways, it is just a matter of working on it.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
I'm never going to disregard the first game's established canon in favor over a plot that clearly contradicts itself and also pretty much abandons the original. As far as I'm concerned, we never got a true sequel to Devil May Cry. I don't hate them but my nostalgic heartstrings just really sees DMC just abandoning the spirit of the first game all along.

This is why I can't accept DMC3.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
~allows himself to be pulled into this tangent. XD~

Personally I like classic Eb and Iv, they kind'a represent Dante's human side as they're totally human made weapons, while Rebellion is the physical representation of his supernatureal bloodline. The ideas I had going actually place a lot of emphisis on seeing Dante and Vergil act like brothers, and then showing how Vergil snaps during their crusade to avenge their parents and remove the demonic manipulators of humanity, sort of a mix of Classic DMC with elements of Nt!DMC. They'd be cambions and not demon/angel hybrids, though it's actually Sparda's origins I ended up detailing more too. The Tony Redgrave origin also is a heavy part of the backstory I'm writing down, since I loved that aspect of Dante's past.

...we should really yap off thread somewhere. XD

This ideas looks cool, why don't you write them and bring it to us somewhere on the forum? I would like to read it.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
My wife and I have been working out our version of a reboot that combines some of the better aspects from both DMC universes. I'll see about gettings some of teh note smore organized for a prep thread. I also got talked into doing an audio book of the DMC1 novel too... :3

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I have a lot of different ideas. I definitely want to keep a Dante that's more like how he was in the first game with more of an expansion on that world as well. It might be my own type of origin story to an extent though. I personally have more fun running with my own ideas than being shackled to the existing canon to extreme extents. So I have a new villain and female lead also coming in.

I also want to make the comedy legitimately funny. Not really relying to much on the cheese to get in comedy but good, honest, witty jokes and comebacks. If only I wasn't such a procrastinator when it comes to this stuff.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Ever since I realised that Nelo Angelo was indeed Vergil, I have always had this voice in the back of my mind telling me he isn't dead. Mundus' implied that Nelo had failed him and that he had been defeated. If we recall, Griffon wasn't dead before Mundus killed him for his incapableness to defeat Dante. This means that Vergil could of indeed been alive also after his battle with Dante. We don't actually see Vergil's dead body either. Plus evidence supports he broke free from his corrupt state because The Order Of The Sword retrieved pieces of Nelo Angelo's armour and also Yamato. The Yamato sword would of been difficult to find if lost a long time ago, so if it were close to the pieces of the broken armour then we could also assume that the zweihander was a corrupted/altered form of Vergil's Yamato.

Also Mundus never once states to Dante when he confronts him that his brother is dead or anything of the sort. So it's quite possible to assume that perhaps after breaking from his corruption, Vergil became trapped somewhere within the demon world or was maybe spared by Mundus but further more corrupt and kept away to be used in the future as a secret weapon against Dante. But no mention of him actually dying was ever stated, so in those terms we can still assume he is alive.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
i just assumed he was dead since mundus doesn't seem to be the mercy type so I just assumed mundus killed him after he failed to defeat/kill Dante.

I'm not saying its impossible for him to still be alive, it would just be by accident or subterfuge by a concerned third party.

Top Bottom