• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Mostly i've been watching movies and writing a 1 page summary on them but I wanna make time to work on a treatment for my time travel idea.

I keep thinking about the 12th doctor and Bilquis having an odd courtship so that leads me to wonder if shipping characters is done based on characters you think would be interesting or who you want to be with yourself or both?

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
In my opinion-

Critic: "Nobody cares!"

Me: "I walked into that one."

Anyway, I tend to ship characters because I would like to be with said character. Using the protagonist as a step in for myself. This may be a common thing amongest fans in general due to how attached we as fans get to said protagonist. In my original sorry, "Danny" is a stand in for me while the "Koko" is this super hot looking chick with powers on par with Son Goku, Lord Beerus, and the Biblical God!
Even if that's not what I intend to write my subconscious is weaving this tapestry right under my nose. Wow, I just proven how much therapy I need. Whoa boy... So in short....
"Don't stop til you've shipped enough come on!"

>_>

Xeroxis

Space Detective
Premium
In my opinion-

Critic: "Nobody cares!"

Me: "I walked into that one."

Anyway, I tend to ship characters because I would like to be with said character. Using the protagonist as a step in for myself. This may be a common thing amongest fans in general due to how attached we as fans get to said protagonist. In my original sorry, "Danny" is a stand in for me while the "Koko" is this super hot looking chick with powers on par with Son Goku, Lord Beerus, and the Biblical God!
Even if that's not what I intend to write my subconscious is weaving this tapestry right under my nose. Wow, I just proven how much therapy I need. Whoa boy... So in short....
"Don't stop til you've shipped enough come on!"

>_>
You know, I kinda used to do that too, but then I realized when my stand in character did something stupid, or went with the character I didn't like, I'd end up having hard feelings about the show. So I sorta had to stop doing that.
Things are better now... *cuuuurse you Robotech....*

I ended up scraping the first chapter. The flow felt really off, I have to rethink the whole scene now :banghead:

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
Do I need to mention a object every time in a story sentence? For example:

Is it:

"Koko slashed Hotflash in the abdomen..."

VS.

"Koko slashed Hotflash in the abdomen with her energy blade..."

Keep in mind that the audience is fully aware of Koko's ability to produce a energy blade from her hand and has had this weapon mentioned/desrcibed many times in the past. So with this knowledge which sentence is appropriate and why?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Do I need to mention a object every time in a story sentence? For example:

Is it:

"Koko slashed Hotflash in the abdomen..."

VS.

"Koko slashed Hotflash in the abdomen with her energy blade..."

Keep in mind that the audience is fully aware of Koko's ability to produce a energy blade from her hand and has had this weapon mentioned/desrcibed many times in the past. So with this knowledge which sentence is appropriate and why?
I think if she was already wielding the weapon before the fight, then the first sentence would be right.
If she wasn't, then the second sentence would be better suited. It's all well and good if the readers already know what she's capable of, but.... you know, even Nero has to manifest Yamato before he begins to slice and dice at his opponent. You're writing the story in words but your focus needs to be the visuals you conjure in the reader's mind. That means details. As tedious as it sometimes may seem.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I find myself coming up with fanfic ideas as a response to a bad fanfic i read. Does that make me arrogant or just a guy who thinks too much? (i think i'm both)

A writing block for me is I come up with ideas for other stories than the one i'm writing or its an emotional wall preventing me from going forward. A way around the first is just to follow that path and see where it takes you. maybe one story offers insight into the other.

the other way is more difficult but just try embracing the emotion. my time travel story has a 36 year old man interacting with his younger self so embracing my fears of who i dont want to be at 36 helped me get through my block.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I find myself coming up with fanfic ideas as a response to a bad fanfic i read. Does that make me arrogant or just a guy who thinks too much? (i think i'm both)

Let me tell you a thing: the best fic I've ever written (meaning the one I'm most proud of) and the one fic most liked by my readers, was in direct response to a fic I disliked and was written purely out of spite. The fic I'm writing right now is being written out of spite. As long as you don't make it known what fic it's a response to (because that'd be rude and probably would be a bit arrogant), you go. Write that fic and make a statement. There's a girl I know who changed her fandom's outlook on a certain pairing by doing that. You never know what affect your writing might have. So do the thing!

--

Writing stuff:
100k was a mistake. Help.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
If it does make you arrogant or means you think too much, I'm apprehensive about what that would make me. :laugh:
Let me tell you a thing: the best fic I've ever written (meaning the one I'm most proud of) and the one fic most liked by my readers, was in direct response to a fic I disliked and was written purely out of spite.
Mine, too! Not that it's the best I've ever done (the opposite, actually, but that's a dead horse). I was motivated and inspired by the many corny-with-some-sick-on-the-side-Mary Sue x canon-character fanfics that gave me brain bleeds. The first 10 chapters were written out of nothing but genuine fury. Indignant fury, mind you. That was my fuel.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I don't know what irritates me more:

1) The fact that their comment reflects they only skim-read the entry, because editing was not the focal point (was in fact only mentioned in passing), and that's all they took out of it, or

2) The fact that their comment has something of a pretentious feel to it.

Dude. This is not my first rodeo. :meh: If for no other reason than my own peace of mind, I'm going to assume your comment was purely meant to be supportive, and not some subtle self-important BS.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm so torn between creating artwork for my story and actually writing the bloody thing. I want to do both. Why can't I do both? God gave us two hands for a reason, right?? :'(
I know, I know, it's Camp Nano, the aim is writing not art.
Ah well. :smile:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I had a session with my screenwriting mentor and we spent two hours geeking out about Doctor Who and Breaking Bad (it was fun)

We ended up turning my movie spec script about time travel into a potential TV spec script about the spirit world. I wanted to do more mature version of Yu Yu hakusho/Bleach. It's like how Daredevil is the adult counterpart to Spiderman who is the teenage counterpoint of Superman (it'll make sense in hindsight i promise)

To explain how we went from a time travel movie to a TV show about the spirit world, we just cheated and kept the core characters and their dynamic. Apparently i have a good grasp on character dynamics and it was strong enough to survive the genre shift.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Hello, my name is Rae and I have a writing confession to make: I haven't used spellcheck since at least 2010. I know, I know. It's the most heinous of crimes. But it's the truth. What can you do? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I feel like a writing god, knowing I catch 90% of my typos on my own, tbh. >_> Go editor me.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I was supposed to do some character breakdowns and defining the rules of the spirit world but i got sidetracked with series 3 of Broadchurch.

I did write up some stuff on the spirit world but typing it up is a pain. Ideas are the easy part of writing but putting it down forces you to commit to the idea and that's the hard part for me.

Top Bottom