• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
it seems in a way that pretty much everyone who thinks of Dmc2 cringes, what was it that made it so crummy?
This is where you can feel free to discuss the problems and what would have made the game better.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Bad things about Devil May Cry 2 right? Ok here goes:

1) Dante's Devil Arms. They are all basically the same sword with different range and attack power.

2) Dante's attitude. Definitely the style - few words, more actions is wicked and cool. But NOT for Dante.-

3) Arius. Seriously he was the first bad guy in the Devil May Cry series to introduce lame bad guys. After him, Arkham and Agnus followed. And that is not a plus.

4) Dante actually had MANY moves in the game. BUT, you did not have a clue as to how to perform them since they were not mentioned anywhere<_< Some moves could only be performed while in Devil Trigger too.

5) Dante's Devil Trigger Amulet System. I mean mercy. Dante ALWAYS run at incredible speeds while on Devil Trigger. In Devil May Cry 2 they decided that he suddenly needed an amulet to do that.

6) Dante's unlockable DIESEL costume. Seriously it sucked big time.

7) The storyline. I never understood why Dante had to go through all these missions since in the end he just decided to defeat Arius and be done with it?

8) Lucia's voice. Maybe the voice itself does not suck as much, but the voice actress sure does. I mean she looks like she has trouble to decide if she has an accent or not.

9) Sparda's legend. Sparda fought alongside humans? That's a first.

10) Argosax. A monster which was a fusion of almost any Devil May Cry 2 boss along with Griffon from Devil May Cry was once the Emperor of the Underworld? HOW LAME.

10a) Argosax. Since he is so powerful and such, who the hell is The Despair Embodied who was harder and stronger than him?

11) The infested tank/choppers. I mean how un-cool is to have Dante battling machines? It's an okay idea in general for other games, but definitely NOT for Devil May Cry. And I don't see why Dante has to run to avoid the chopper when he defeated the building monster easily...

12) Bolverk. THAT guy fought with Sparda? Why I find it so difficult to believe that? If Sparda could beat Mundus than why did this guy stood a chance? Maybe he offered Sparda to play with his wolves to let him spread that rumour..

13) Lucia's last stage with bosses. Just HOW MANY TIMES do they have to use Arius before they are satisfied?

14) The Enemies. Look at their pattern. Agonofinis, Mortfinis, SomethingElseFinis. Brontmance, Auromancer, SomethingElsemancer. Blood Goat, Abyss Goat, SomethingElse Goat. See my point?

15) The difficulty. I can beat the game in Hard mode in just one day while being as calm as heaven and enjoying the peace on my screen. This is not Devil May Cry. The only difficult thing was Trismagia and the fact that the last mission in both characters had two bosses insted of one.

16) That uncalled mystery about Dante in the end of the game. I mean I like mystery and all but I like it in games whose plot allows it to show some mystery.

17) Timeline. Where is Trish, Force Edge/Sparda and where did Dante get the coin which seems to be his best friend in the game?

18) If Dante runs in cities and villages where are the people? It really is weird...DMC1 was in an island that was abandoned for years so it is logical that no human should be there. But DMC2 is in places which are neither hidden or deserted..

19) Lucia's tragic thing at the end. Totally uncalled for. If she though she was evil she could just commit suicide not ask Dante to do it"-_- Generally she seemed way too weak emotionally given the fact that she is a devil and fights them every day...

20) Lucia's Devil Trigger. Seriously is this a blue chicken of some sort? It certainly does not look like an Angel:p

..and some other things less significant.

DMC2 HAD good points though. I like the game. If you want I can write the good things about it too;)

Devil Leon

Devil Hunter
Although theres a lot of truth in Tony Redgraves post, I wouldnt necessarily need alll of those things fixed to make it a half decent DMC title.

To me, the major issues were these:

1) Balance in power between Guns/Swords
2) Lack of abilities/weapon range
3) Bad execution of weapon attacks
4) Dull designs of stages, enemies and bosses (including Arius)
5) No real overall significance storyline wise.
6) Dante's unexplained change in personality. I didnt mind his personality in DMC2, but it wasnt right that they seemed to do it for no reason.
7) The fact it was uberly dumbed down difficulty wise

Then again, I might have just more or less said what Tony did in less words lol.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Yup. And most(if not all) of those things we said do not actually make it a bad game. They make it a bad Devil May Cry game;)

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Random ~ I also think you cannot taunt in Devil May Cry 2. Not that it goes well with Dante's personality in the game anyway but I thought I'd mention it.

DanteownzNero

Devil May Own
Dantes personality and teh fact tht the town/city he is in is deserted may be explained yet.

capcom cannot ignore devil may cry 2 being in the series forever

i think in devil may cry 5 (or maybe even the end of 4) we will for once see dante fail to defend humans from a demon outbreak. you can see the big island dante is on on teh mission start screen of dmc2 its possible it has all been overrun by demons...yes

dante will most likely feel like he couldve stopped this from happening and its taken a real tole on his personality....also i know this is getting more far fetched by the second but ... the despair embodied might be "dantes despair" at failing to save humans and that why he combats it...literally.

when dante shoots arius through the window lol i love that line (see my sig) its a sign the old dante is in there ... somewere.

thts just my lil theory on the situation and tbh i like it :p

Devil Leon

Devil Hunter
I'm sorry, but I dont really see Capcom linking DMC4 to DMC2.

My reasons are these:

1) If they did this, any DMCs set after DMC4 would have to have the DMC2-personality Dante, after DMC2s response I think they will be avoiding making Dante act this way. Plus, they said that Dante's personality had been 'set' as if theyll be keeping him the way he is in DMC4.

2) DMC2 is so insignificant in the eyes of a lot of fans and the company that trying to explain the way Dante is in DMC2 wouldnt really be that important to them, let alone be a factor that would determine the end of their latest game. They wouldnt create an entire ending just to justify DMC2.

Basically, DMC2 is canon, but only in the sense that Capcom will avoid it as much as possible, and just say its at the end.

DanteownzNero

Devil May Own
Everything ur saying is right

im just hoping against hope tht theyll explain how dmc 2 got how it was and how dante is how he is

i hate loose ends lol

but in this case it mite be better to leeve it be

still if they could make it work itd be great

cosmic master

The Eternal Insomniac
maybe trish or lady die in dmc4 and thats why in dmc2 his personality is like that. in dmc1 we see what he is like when he thinks trish is dead

DanteownzNero

Devil May Own
Yes there must definetly be a moment when dante blames himself for some thing big, like trish or ladys death as you say, dante is the type who is used to saving the day and all the humans, i think hes just accustomed to winning at everything hence his cockyness... something like tht would reeli be a kick in the teeth to him maybe thts wat brings about this darker dante we see in dmc 2.

i always got the impression he was blaming himself, or punishing himself in some way i dunno why. (jus in dmc2)

Also another couple of things to consider, theres a trailer for dmc4 tht ends with dante fighting silver giga shouting at nero cockily "were u bin kid ur missing all the fun" then he sounds worried and shouts neros name its possible dante has become attached to this new charater...

nero possesses alot of vergils traits its possible that dante may start to think of him as a younger brother

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I agree with Leon in this. When Devil May Cry 2 came out, Devil May Cry 2 Novel was still canon. Inside the novel Dante is almost like the original Dante from Devil May Cry 1. If you think about it maybe Dante does not have a problem in Devil May Cry 2. The whole game seems to be "problematic" in that same aspect. Everyone in the game speaks less than he/she should and we get no explanation about anything. The fact that Dante speaks less is mainly because of the game itself.

Just take a look. Doesn't all the people there look like they are incomplete as characters? Lucia/Arius/Dante/Bosses. Think of it. Bolverk was supposed to have fought Sparda. Wouldn't normally be a cut-scene with him and Dante speaking or something? Someone who fought/knew Sparda should be quite important in the Devil May Cry series. Beowulf was important. Nevan was important. Yet everyone in the game just does some things quite randomly just to be done.

There artifacts in the game which can supposedly open the gate to the demon world should have been placed in places with bosses/traps/many enemies around them, yet they just appeared while you were completing some missions. Also some bosses returned somehow, meaning that they either possessed the intelligence to pursue Dante/Lucia or they were ordered by someone. But there's no mention of that so we conclude that the makers just put them there for their own reasons.

It's just that we know Dante from previous games and can compare him that he particularly seems changed and like another version of Dante. If you see everyone/thing in that game, it possesses the same weirdness that Dante has...so to return to my original point...NO, I don't think Dante was sad about something that happened in a previous game. I just think they did not put their all while making the game and it turned out as it turned.

DanteownzNero

Devil May Own
well i just hope they try n explain it sometime itll be kinda sad if capcom goes on butting games set be4 dmc2 as if they are pertending it didnt happen

alot of good things came frm tht game
all of them were gameplay elements tho i agree tht the story and characters were either too under developed or downright crap!

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Tony_Redgrave;65355 said:
Bad things about Devil May Cry 2 right? Ok here goes:

5) Dante's Devil Trigger Amulet System. I mean mercy. Dante ALWAYS run at incredible speeds while on Devil Trigger. In Devil May Cry 2 they decided that he suddenly needed an amulet to do that.

9) Sparda's legend. Sparda fought alongside humans? That's a first.

DMC2 HAD good points though. I like the game. If you want I can write the good things about it too;)

to number 9: it clearly states in the Dmc1 instruction manual that Sparda lead a rebel force, that probably of humans to help him take on the demon armies, however to all your other points they are extremely good, what the hell was with that amulet stuff, that defo sucked, and Dante just isn't the same. Here say the good points and what else would have made it better to enjoy.

Devil Leon

Devil Hunter
Yeah I gotta agree with Ryaniel on the subject of Sparda fighting alongside humans. Plus, he fought for them, so most likely among them - and I wouldnt be surprised if he fought alongside ancestors of DMC4's Order of the Sword too.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
As requested by Ryaniel here's what I think were the good points of Devil May Cry 2:

1) Dante's design. Outfit and face/etc. He still looks as cool as in every other Devil May Cry.

2) That move where you can avoid EVERYTHING by just pressing O is incredible. I love it.

3) Also O introduced some trickster moves as well, where Dante could walk on buildings etc etc.

4) Rebellion. It was a great idea to invent a sword just for Dante alone and not some relic of Sparda. (Like Force Edge which was Sparda's primary weapon I mean).

5) Devil Trigger. It has to be the most awesome Devil Trigger in the 3 first games concerning appearance. Who knows why they created "that thing" for Dante's Devil Trigger in Devil May Cry 3. Also while on Devil Trigger you many new moves.

6) Desperation Devil Trigger. It was a good idea. While at it not only you get more powerful but you get new moves as well(moves that even normal Devil Trigger has not).

7) Lucia's DIESEL clothes. I have to say that although she sucked at her usual outfit, she was kinda hot in the casual clothes.

8) The environment. I love (almost) every place. It has a village, a city, a demon realm, ruins and some other places which are not only designed to look nice, but you have plenty of space to move as well. Even in the elevator you were free as hell. I loved that.

9) Introduction of Bloody Palace. We love it in Devil May Cry 3. But in Devil May Cry 2 it allows you to fight enemies only found in secret mission. It's pretty neat.

10) Dante % Motorcycle. It has to be one of the coolest cut-scenes of the game. Too bad there wasn't a mission where he runs with, but I guess it's natural.

11) Aerial moves. Back there in Devil May Cry, you only had Killer Bee and Helm Breaker. Now Dante can perform kicks, sword attacks and few other moves which keep you and the enemy on air.

12) Dante's Grenade Launcher. It has to be Dante's greatest Grenade/Gun/Launcher in the first 3 games. Not only it goes fast/far and it is powerful, but it allows you to shoot in the air and stay airborne as well, since Dante shoots with Ebony if you have the Grenade Launcher equipped and try to shoot while jumping.

13) Graphics. Not throughout the game but in cut-scenes. In the cut-scene where you fight the building monster the graphics might even look better than Devil May Cry 3's cut-scenes. I love them there.

14) The Despair Embodied. It was WAY cooler than half dead Mundus and in the last mission of Devil May Cry.

15) Trish as a secret character. Not only powerful but awesome as well. Wielding Sparda and Luce & Ombra was nice.

16) DMC1 Dante. This time you not only get the appearance but Devil May Cry 1 soundtrack as well. Brilliant idea.

17) Lucia's character concerning gameplay. A character that only uses swords and daggers was nice, and on top of it being woman as well. The bad thing is that they picked Lucia, but the idea rocked if you ask me.

18) Dante in the last mission has to be the coolest and less cheesy Dante in last missions so far. Remember. Devil May Cry: The infamous LIIIIIGHT scene. Devil May Cry 3: my soul IT SAYS IT WANTS TO STOP YOU!!!!. Ok in there even Vergil laughs:p. Devil May Cry 2: Nothing cheesy just. D: I'm going. L: Don't you want to hear the story about Sparda from Matier? D: I know..he did the same thing. Awesome^^

19) Also the game's idea is that Dante offers his services in places throughout the Earth in general. Protecting anyone who would ask him help against demons. The pictures, videos etc. Show him in high places observing and going immediately down if he spots something bad. I like that idea about Dante. It was just portrayed wrong/bad.

20) Soundtrack. I like it a lot. It is not gothic like music like Devil May Cry has nor it is metal fast paced music like the one in Devil May Cry 3. (I love them all by the way). But I think that it fits the game perfectly.

..and few other things.;)

Now about Sparda. Well is it mentioned (in Devil May Cry 1) that he was helped by humans in his quest to kill demons? All I remember in the prologue is: But someone from the Underworld woke up to justice and stood up against this legion, alone. His name was Sparda. Later, he quietly reigned the human world and continued to preserve harmony...Until his death. He became a legend. The Legendary Dark Knight Sparda"

Unless you mean some other place in Devil May Cry 1 where Sparda's name is involved? Please fill me in about it, I'm curious.:p

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
^ Your points are well made.
I understand what you mean by the prologue about when sparda fought alone, I remembered reading he lead a rebel force.
Perhaps this is because they got the info in the manual of an extract meaning they altered it for gaming purposes so Sparda fought alone. Or maybe they just contradicted themselves.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
^ Most likely.
Would you want there to have been people helping him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom