• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The new "Dante" pic thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Ok so since supporters of DmC are upset that nay sayers call the new Dante DINO or Donte and the people that don't like DmC want to call him those things I decided on a compromise:

We all settle on a new name for the new Dante that differentiates him from old Dante without being offensive. I vote Ernie.

Tony

Demonslayer
Asmodaius;291772 said:
*facedesk*

This is like talking to a door...

I give up. Tell yourself whatever you want to feel better, if that's what you want. It's not like you care to even consider what I say on this forum anyways. I don't know why I even try...
I really do agree to most of the things that you are writing but I do not agree with your statement that people are acting childish or inmature just because they give the new thing another name. And I just tryed to explain why.

Anyway no matter what Im going to tell myself, I dont feel better...

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Meg;291782 said:
Ok so since supporters of DmC are upset that nay sayers call the new Dante DINO or Donte and the people that don't like DmC want to call him those things I decided on a compromise:

We all settle on a new name for the new Dante that differentiates him from old Dante without being offensive. I vote Ernie.

Subject B?

Dominus

GamblingGambitCloud;291725 said:
DMC was an experiment....experiments have two methods of completion: Failure and Success. Just because met the fanbase with success does not mean the game in itself is not flawed or doesn't fail on some level. DMC really didn't get good until 3 and 4 and TBH, people still give them crap about 4. If you're a fan of the series, you're a fan of the series. And i can't believe the animosity this game is getting after all this time that's passed.

And calling a character another name because you don't want to refer to them by their real name makes no sense. "DINO" will ALWAYS be DANTE and there is nothing that will change that. after all, "what's in a name?"

No offense but did you even play DMC 1 when it came out? Because if you did you would have known it was genre defining game and one of the few good action games out at the time. And I will give them crap about 4 because it was mediocre at best (back tracking in a PS3/xbox 360 game, WHAT). DMC3 was Capcom listening to the fans, while 4 seemed like a rehash with a slightly new face, kinda like DmC........

And I still don't get why people get so upset about DINO. It's just a name and people have a right to call him whatever they want (hes a fictional character will he really care?). Does Capcom really need people guarding the new Dante's rep? I thought that was what the capcom unity forums were for..

Saosin

King of Games
Why do so many people not like the new Dante? Sure he looks like a malnourished, taiwanese prostitute, but he's our malnourished taiwanese prostitute! He's Dante, so I'm gonna love him anyway, even if he doesn't even remotely resemble the person we've come to know and love. :p

Vampi

Dominus;291873 said:
No offense but did you even play DMC 1 when it came out? Because if you did you would have known it was genre defining game and one of the few good action games out at the time. And I will give them crap about 4 because it was mediocre at best (back tracking in a PS3/xbox 360 game, WHAT). DMC3 was Capcom listening to the fans, while 4 seemed like a rehash with a slightly new face, kinda like DmC........

And I still don't get why people get so upset about DINO. It's just a name and people have a right to call him whatever they want (hes a fictional character will he really care?). Does Capcom really need people guarding the new Dante's rep? I thought that was what the capcom unity forums were for..

340x.gif

Ya know what, seriously don't worry about it. Some of the members in this forum who support DINO (yes i said the forbidden word) take everything that doesn't follow their opinion so personally. Mostly its Asmodaius who does this, cause Heaven Forbid anyone would say anything negative or doubtful about Dino. I've notice he's the worst offender of all along with other people and yet he double talks sumtimes, that's mostly what sum of the DmC worshipers do. I just ignore them because they're no better there the crazy, really worse, DINO non-supporters over at Capcom Unity forums. They'll be eaten alive over there.

Ok...now sumone put a goddamn pic already!

fon

Crazy Chick
Dominus;291873 said:

I don't mind at all people who still don't like him calling him that, because I used to too. But what's up with everybody using capslock?

I guess it's because some people really support DmC.
@bolded text: I thought there was more bashing going on there? :-/

Saosin;291888 said:
Why do so many people not like the new Dante? Sure he looks like a malnourished, taiwanese prostitute, but he's our malnourished taiwanese prostitute! He's Dante, so I'm gonna love him anyway, even if he doesn't even remotely resemble the person we've come to know and love. :p

I like new Dante but...what? No offense, but why did you state a certain nationality? (and why does looking like that= prostitute/druggie <--stated by others)
He's just beat up. How would you look if you were restrained in a mental hospital and fighting demons without your full potential (i. e. without using his demon powers). Heck, he probably got beaten up by the police too.

I'm getting a bit tired of the "________ we've come to know and love" statement. Not everyone played the DMC series for Dante. His best personality was in DMC1, ok in DMC3 (sorry, haven't played 2 yet, but watched cutscenes), but just plain stale in DMC4. Dante was never the same in each installment, so, my opinion, but it felt as if we never truly knew him.
His character has just never felt fully fleshed out, which I hope NT does in DmC's story.

@Vampi: DmC worshippers ALREADY? I thought that only happened after gameplay videos/the actual game comes out. o_O

And something for what this thread was made for:
14738906.jpg
Too bad I forgot the artist. Their interpretation of Vergil is quite acceptable.

moseslmpg

fon;291945 said:
I don't mind at all people who still don't like him calling him that, because I used to too. But what's up with everybody using capslock?
DINO refers to the game, while Dino refers to the character. It is a multipurpose acronym.

Speaking of which, Vino there looks like a prep school kid with that sweater vest. He looks alright I guess, but Dino looks a lot more badass in that pic (and in all fanart tbh, Ninja Theory). Looks like it is a Korean artist, judging by the seal.

Also, if I may just say something. The contention that "we don't really know Dante" or that "Dante never stayed the same" is overgeneralizing. His character progressed in DMC1 and DMC3, and was at some undetermined state of development in DMC2. The odd man out really is only DMC4 Dante, and that does not reflect on the whole series. The fact remains that, DMC4 aside, Dante was Dante, as opposed to not-Dante; his identity was discernible and distinct from the identity of other characters. Most of the fans did truly know and love Dante, and by extension, the original series, and they aren't crazy for doing so or for lamenting his absence.

Vampi

Fon: Yea, but that's what the DmC worshipers interpret DmC by a barely 2 minute trailer, that its good and plays well and its a Godsend from the Capcom Gods or sumthing. Its just...its a blind devotion to a label really, and that what irks me.

And that pic looks good. Dino actually looks...*gasp* kinda cool there. He still looks like a druggie though. Probably Vergil is his dealer or sumthing. I hate Vergil's vest though...it shouldn't be a sweater. It should be a button up vest.

Asmodaius

I take it personally?
You so-called "hardcore" fans take it personal that Capcom and NT is changing the look of Dante and is making a reboot! You keep saying that Capcom does this, because they don't care about the fans (referring to yourselves mostly) and makes it seem like some personal attack on your fandom'ism.

All I say is that I find it ridiculous that you make up some stupid nickname for the new Dante, just because you don't like it. It is childish and immature! And as I said, you can dislike him all you want, you can have your opinions about him and I totally respect that. But try and be more mature about it at least.

Putting me up as an offender makes me wonder what exactly I have done to make you do so. A few months ago we had a long discussion which was rather informative for me as well, about how you feel about the changes they are making, and I understand and respect that. However, that is NOT what this is about! This is simply about the stupid nicknames.

But apparently, being positive about the new Dante and the new game is an offense to you. I can't really care about that though, because that is MY personal opinion, like you disliking them is YOUR personal opinion. Respect mine and I shall respect yours. It is simple as that.

moseslmpg

Asmo, if you are taking a merely descriptive acronym that personally, I'd say the issue is with you, not anyone else. In any case, you can hate it and take offense from it all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it is merely an expression of sentiments caused by Capcom's decision to totally change the game. It isn't immature, it is merely an expedient means of distinguishing the old series and character from the new series and character. It's kind of like how we call the series DMC instead of Devil May Cry, or how we refer to the last president of the US as "W." It seems like you are the one acting childish here, getting worked up over mere labels. Remember, "sticks and stones..."

But you know, if it bothers you that much, just make your own catchy "positive" designation for the game and be done with it. I doubt you can top the elegance, utility, and ingenuity (if I do say so myself :p) of DINO, but if you want to have a go at it, then be my guest.

This reminds me of all the drama regarding the "War on Christmas."

(Also, just FYI, any optimism for the DINO is baseless right now and irrational when compared to skepticism or outright hatred, that is simply a fact. Still, I don't think the problem is your optimism so much as your denigration of the pessimists. You can love the series as much as you want, but don't tell everyone who doesn't love it as much as you do that we can't hate it or be spitefully apathetic.)

Vampi

Asmodaius;291952 said:
I take it personally?
You so-called "hardcore" fans take it personal that Capcom and NT is changing the look of Dante and is making a reboot! You keep saying that Capcom does this, because they don't care about the fans (referring to yourselves mostly) and makes it seem like some personal attack on your fandom'ism.

All I say is that I find it ridiculous that you make up some stupid nickname for the new Dante, just because you don't like it. It is childish and immature! And as I said, you can dislike him all you want, you can have your opinions about him and I totally respect that. But try and be more mature about it at least.

Putting me up as an offender makes me wonder what exactly I have done to make you do so. A few months ago we had a long discussion which was rather informative for me as well, about how you feel about the changes they are making, and I understand and respect that. However, that is NOT what this is about! This is simply about the stupid nicknames.

But apparently, being positive about the new Dante and the new game is an offense to you. I can't really care about that though, because that is MY personal opinion, like you disliking them is YOUR personal opinion. Respect mine and I shall respect yours. It is simple as that.

You're right...in that THIS IS THE DINO PIC THREAD and you're going off topic because of a lil thing cause of a name. Are names that important to you? Hmm...well i guess so, since you deem DINO as a true DMC game just cause Capcom mark it as one, even though it has no traits of a true DMC game.

You find anyone against Dino offensive, every single post you put is about we're wrong and we should see the light and embrace Dino as a DMC game when it most certainly not. God, its like i think you're sum lackey from NT or Capcom that is just going around and deeming us non-DINO supporters as idiots or sumthing.

And you're not respecting our opinion. You keep calling us childish but at the same time you say "well i respect your opinion" usual double-talk from you. You should stop being so overly sensitive and stop throwing hissy fits whenever sumone doesn't conform to your view about the game, even the mature original DMC fans who've said there valid reasons for not supporting DINO.

Now...either post a pic or make one of the countless Pro-DINO threads in this forum. Your argument is irrelevant here.

moseslmpg

Edit: Sorry, didn't see this reply.
Asmodaius;291700 said:
I generally think it is wrong to judge someone for their appearance. Just because Dante looks skinnier this time around doesn't mean he's gay, on drugs, being emo etc etc. I know many who has that bodytype who aren't any of those things.
It is wrong to judge people solely based on their appearance, but if I see a bald white man with a swastika tattooed on his forehead wearing a leather jacket with the Confederate flag on it, I can make a few reasonable assumptions. Still, I was going more on the fact that NT might want to make things edgy and that Dino does look more effeminate and, honestly, because it is a British company. I just feel like a British or European developer would be more comfortable about having homosexuality in a game.
And moses, if you want to go that way, then it can also be said that there was no reason to make Devil May Cry at all from start. It was supposed to be a Resident Evil game, but instead of scrapping the idea they just started a new series. Now they want to try something new. Calling Dante for Dino or Donte, because he isn't like the Dante we know from previous games just seems childish to me. We've discussed your feelings about this subject and I get it. You don't feel like this is Dante. But you could at least try to be mature about it.
And by your misappropriation of my logic, there is no reason for anything to do anything. The two situations aren't remotely comparable or even analogous. DINO is unnecessarily intruding on some status quo which the original DMC created. A useful analogy would be the creation of Nero for DMC4, not the birth of the series. You can like Nero and you can like DINO, but neither of them were necessary with respect to the established series. For the "childish nicknames" see my post above.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
i have an idea. someone make a thread to talk about the nickname "Dino" so this thread can stay on topic. ( or stop arguing about something compleatly meaningless)

Meg

Can everyone just wind their necks please? Honestly you kids are going back and forth and jumping down each other's throats over a nickname. This is not an elementary school playground. Its a forum. Try to act a little civil. Besides, as has been pointed out already, this thread is for posting pics of the New Dante. (Nante? Any takers? eh eh?) Try to stay on topic please.

moseslmpg

darkslayer13;292033 said:
i have an idea. someone make a thread to talk about the nickname "Dino" so this thread can stay on topic. ( or stop arguing about something compleatly meaningless)
Done.

And just a small note: There is no equivalency between the parties arguing about the name, because only one party has an issue with it and only one party saw fit to raise a fuss about it. Granted, we should have not responded, but that is the nature of the beast and can't really be seen as a fault of the pro-"Dino" party.

And that's all I'm going to say. I won't post in here again unless it is to post a picture or comment on one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom