• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Demonic Compendium

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
I'm suprised there doesn't seem a thread about demons seeing as this is the Devil May Cry forums.

So let's talk about everything demonic, whether its demons in mythology, their portrayals in fiction or if you secretly suspect your landlord is a demon...wait scratch that last one. :whistle:

I'll start off. Did you know that Mundus is a massive reference to Pluto, the Greek God of the Underworld?

Viper

Premium
I'm suprised there doesn't seem a thread about demons seeing as this is the Devil May Cry forums.

So let's talk about everything demonic, whether its demons in mythology, their portrayals in fiction or if you secretly suspect your landlord is a demon...wait scratch that last one. :whistle:

I'll start off. Did you know that Mundus is a massive reference to Pluto, the Greek God of the Underworld?
Yes, his name also comes from mundus Cereris, a pit thought to contain entrance to the Underworld and which was open three times a year when spirits of blessed dead could communicate with the living.

Something I like to mention, had Berial's name been translated as Belial (or Beliar), he would be sharing it with the demon associated with rebellion and lawlessness, who is sometimes referred to as ruler of this world and is alluded to be analogue to Satan/Lucifer. Fornication is said to bring man further from God and closer to Belial, which is interesting when we think Berial's hellgates were the ones destroyed with Lucifer after that memorable scene.

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
nope, never knew that about mundus.. hey, what's the difference between demon, devil, and errr.. satan?

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Bael based on Baal (sometimes Bael) from Lesser Key of Solomon. It appears sometimes like cat, man or toad (or all of them)
Bael.jpg

Viper

Premium
nope, never knew that about mundus.. hey, what's the difference between demon, devil, and errr.. satan?
Demon generally is another word for devil, though I think sometimes it refers to lower ranked creatures, especially if word Devil is used as name for Satan.
Satan is one specific creature, a fallen angel also known as Lucifer, that works on bringing humanity away from God.

absolitude

Demon generally is another word for devil, though I think sometimes it refers to lower ranked creatures, especially if word Devil is used as name for Satan.
Satan is one specific creature, a fallen angel also known as Lucifer, that works on bringing humanity away from God.

ah, i thought it was something more complicated.. thx viper

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Did you know that Lucifer is just a translation of the Hebrew word "Helel" and means "Morning Star". That name has been used for several people in the past before being associated with Satan around the 14th century?

absolitude

Did you know that Lucifer is just a translation of the Hebrew word "Helel" and means "Morning Star". That name has been used for several people in the past before being associated with Satan around the 14th century?

what's so bad about being called a morning star backthen?

Viper

Premium
Did you know that Lucifer is just a translation of the Hebrew word "Helel" and means "Morning Star". That name has been used for several people in the past before being associated with Satan around the 17th century?
I didn't know about Morning Star, I usually hear it translated as "light bringer".
Considering his role as the snake that talked Eve into eating the apple, thus indirectly giving them wisdom that was meant for God, I connect Lucifer to how deeply religious people see science, opposing God by unraveling knowledge, bringing light into darkness (darkness as in lack of knowledge, not something sinister). Lucifer is of course, the type that crossed that invisible line, the scientist that imagined himself greater than God, put himself above law and moral values.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Echidna based not on demon, but on creature from greek mythology. She's also known as "mother of all monsters" being mother of creatures like Hydra and Chimera. She's half-snake, half-woman. In version of mythos I read, she was titan forced into cave by envious Hera and forced to remain there, where she remained till her legs were turned into snake tail. And yes, medusa often mistaken with her, since Medusa never had snake tail.
s-echidna-beg.jpg

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
@Viper
It can mean Morning Star or Light Bringer depending on whether its used as a noun or adjective. It's hilarious because in an early Christian hymn "Lucis largitor splendide" Lucifer (Light Bringer) is used to describe Jesus Christ himself!

absolitude

didn't prometheus stole light/flame whatever to give to humans? i think it's the same thing as giving humans knowledge..

EDIT : nah forget it, i just read from wiki, he created mankind with those flame

Last edited:

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Now that you bring it up, I don't ever recall the Serpent ever getting a name.

I think it was only in the New Testament that the devil was identified as a snake. But don't hold me to that.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Nightmare or mare actually also has mythological context. In many mythologies its form differs and it most know as demon riding humans chest bringing bad dreams. While in DMC1 it has little to no connection to original source, it does brings you into nightmare world, forcing to relieve battles with past bosses again. So it probably similar in this aspect to its demonic lore.
800px-John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Today I'd like to talk about the origin of the word "Demon". Most of you will know it comes from the Greek word "Dæmon" ("δαίμων"). But it didn't always carry negative connotations. Described by Plato as "everything daemonic is between divine and mortal". They were considered Nature Spirits who were felt but never seen. For example, the poet Hesiod claimed that the people of the Golden Age were transformed after death into Dæmons to watch over mortals. But in The New Testament, the word Dæmon is used to describe harmful spirits and it stuck. Thereupon corrupting the word into "Demon".

There's a lot more history behind it, but I'm done rambling now.

Last edited:

Viper

Premium
It seems a lot of stuff got corrupted through time and religion. Many fairy familiars were proclaimed demons practically over night, which put humans that communicated with them in danger of being accused of witchcraft. Imps, originally playful spirits without clear alliance started to be considered malevolent and helpers of wizards in foul dealings.

Top Bottom