• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The death of Osama bin Laden: How the U.S. got him

Chaos Raiden

Avid Gamer & Reviewer
President Barack Obama gave the final sign-off on Friday for the forty-minute operation that killed al Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden on Sunday. The action took place in a compound in Abbottabad, an affluent Pakistani military town just thirty miles away from the Pakistani capital Islamabad, U.S. officials said.

Despite the apparent rapid turnaround for the operation, the raid on the compound was the result of an intensive, multi-year, bipartisan, cross-agency effort, senior U.S. officials stressed in a phone call with journalists Sunday night. Officials called it the most important victory yet in the world's fight against al Qaeda, but noted bin Laden's death will not bring about an immediate end to the heightened terrorism risk the United States has faced since the attacks of September 11, 2001.

"Without a doubt, the U.S. will continue to face terrorist threats. We have always understood this is a marathon not a sprint," a senior U.S. official told journalists shortly after Obama addressed the nation with the news of bin Laden's death. Still, the official noted that bin Laden's death "is the single biggest victory" in the war against terrorism to date, "and a major step in bringing about al Qaeda's eventual destruction." (You can watch President Obama's description of the operation in the video clip above, courtesy of the AP.)
In their initial reconstruction of the dramatic raid, the officials explained that the United States got intelligence four years ago about the identity of a particular al Qaeda courier who enjoyed Bin Laden's trust and confidence. After months of painstaking effort by the CIA, National Security Agency, and other national security agencies, the U.S. government was eventually able to track this courier, as well as his brother, and further determined that the two brothers seemed to be sharing their residence with another family of extremely high importance to al Qaeda.

U.S. officials said they were stunned to discover the extreme security measures in play at the compound. It was surrounded by walls between 12 and 18 feet high, topped with barbed wire; there were also interior security walls; and it was eight time larger than other residences in the area. What's more, officials on Sunday's call explained, the families living on the compound burned their trash, while all the other households in the area put their trash out for collection on the curb.

And for a property estimated at about a million dollars, it had no telephone or Internet connection, U.S. officials also noted.

"We were shocked by what we saw: an extraordinarily unique compound, that sits on a large plot of land, relatively secluded, and which is eight times larger than other homes in area," one official said. The home "was custom built to hide someone of significance," the official continued. The "extraordinary" state of security at the location helped confirm the suspicions of U.S. officials that it contained a high-value al Qaeda target.

President Obama personally chaired a half-dozen National Security Council meetings on the extremely classified intelligence in recent weeks, U.S. officials said, culminating in his Friday orders to proceed with the operation that killed Bin Laden.

U.S. forces were on the compound for forty minutes today and encountered no local authorities.

In addition to bin Laden, at least three other people were killed in the operation, U.S. officials said, including a man they believe to be one of Bin Laden's sons. Officials said that the action also claimed the life of a woman whom one of bin Laden's aides used as a human shield, they said. Two other bin Laden aides were wounded. No civilians or U.S. persons were wounded in the operation, they said.

One of the two U.S. helicopters involved in the operation apparently suffered damage in the operation. U.S. forces blew up the damaged copter up before boarding the other helicopter to leave the site, the officials said.

In his news conference tonight, Obama said he had called his Pakistani counterpart after the operation and both leaders agreed it was a great day for their countries. But it was impossible not to wonder how bin Laden could have found safe harbor in an affluent suburb of Pakistan's capital -- one that is filled with Pakistani military officials, no less--without a degree of complicity from Pakistani official elements.

"Abbottabad has a large military cantonment area and the Army college and exam center are located there," a former senior U.S. intelligence official who has worked in Pakistan told The Envoy. "It is very much off the usual track for foreigners … and I simply do not believe bin Laden could hide there unaided by, or unknown to, the Pakistanis."

The United States did not notify any other country before the operation, not even Pakistan, U.S. officials said, implying U.S. concern that suspected al Qaeda sympathizers in the Pakistani security services' ranks could have potentially foiled the operation.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theen...-death-of-osama-bin-laden-how-the-u-s-got-him

As a Muslim, I am happy to see him being killed as he greatly tarnish Islam for everyone's eyes in the world. Hope the Muslims won't get the bad reputation anymore, as we are not exactly welcome to most people in Western countries, especially America.

Meg

While I'm not "happy" about him dying because someone's death, regardless of who it is, never makes me happy, I'm not really sad about it either. I don't know how much will actually change to be honest. He was the figurehead but you can bet he made preps before his death, so we'll see what happens.

And CM, I hope people's opinions on Islam change for the better soon to. :( And I'm an American and you are most welcome to come over and chill with me at the Dairy Queen down the street. :cool:

SpawnShooter can come to. XD

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
I consider it stupid that Muslims in general have a bad reputation for an incident that a large percentage of Muslims weren't even involved in. Just plain ignorance and lack of common sense.

But thats my country for ya...

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
1. it's great that we finally found him, and without any casualties. it has got to really suck to be in al Qaeda at this point.

2. the annoying this is the news that this happened interupted CSI: Miami, and then Obama didn't even come on for another hour.

3. Barack Obama is almost definitly going to be reelected after this.

Darth Angelo

Tuck-yet-chi-say-denie trieve trick-dis-nie
You would think that considering the sensitivity of this issue and the massive ammount of speculation that has surrounded it over the past few years you would think that after achieving a goal like this the US government would have handled the publicity of it a little differently.

Take the execution of Saddam Hussein for example which was recorded by a spectator on a mobile phone, speculate you like but that is cold hard evidence that the real Saddam was killed that day, no messin' job done. And given the fact that they claim the whole thing was captured on the helmet of a US soldier participating in the raid and that they decided to bury him at sea pretty much instantly after they had killed him it all sounds very fishy, clean cut and "just take our word for it"

People have been claiming he has been dead for years and that at a convenient time the US government would decide to announce it out of the blue to up morale about the war against al Qaeda. A simple convincing picture would have sufficed (and not the one that was confirmed to be fake like 20 mins after it was leaked) if for anything just to give the finger to conspiracy theorists but mainly to be courteous enough to the people to say "here look, he is dead and here is proof". But it's fishy behavior and publicity like this that is the exact reason why people get in such a state about this kind of thing, people don't like to be treated like mugs. Like when you were a child and your mum would tell you not to do something and when asked why she simply says "because I said so" it's frustrating and demeaning.

But all that aside Osama being dead does not acomplish anything and it is certainly not something to celebrate at this late stage, al Qaeda are not going to automaticly fall just because Osama is dead and if anything they are just angrier now. A single revenge kill does not change the fact that this war is far from over. If anything it just clarifies the fact that the death of Bin-Laden was not what this war was about and that it will continue on for a very very long time.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Angelo, that last point is actually the one that Obama tried to get across to the US. It seems to be doing no good though. :/

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
UPDATE: I'm sorry for hi-jacking this thread, but apparently the people are debating whether or not to release the photos, but don't want to on the grounds that it might spark a counterattack. As if his death won't spark one already, idiots...

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Agreed. I'm not a rabid sceptic merely for the sake of it but I won't believe everything I'm told by the media at face value. Pics or it didn't happen.

Some say Obama wouldn't risk making a statement like "we got Bin Laden" if it were not true, as it would be the end of him politically. But I say, hey, Bush was happy to take the enormous risk of there NOT being WMDs in Iraq and instigating an apparently illegal invasion to get them on the basis of intelligence. Obama is also going on the intelligence given to him, since I'm fairly sure he didn't fly out to Pakistan to ID the body personally. 'Mistakes' happen, sometimes big ones with giant bells hanging off 'em, don't they? So yeah, evidence plz.

Blitz

Heeeeey.
Truly, I don't really like Osama's death. Just as DT said, releasing photos and evidence just might be the enough to spark an counter attack. And I don't want to be caught on it.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I am sure there will be more attacks at some point regardless. I hope not, but Bin Laden's death if anything is an excuse (as if they even needed an excuse, their reasons for attack are half-nuts at best). While he was alive he was an inspiration and encouragement to his followers, and dead he's a glorious martyr. Can't win.

I hate the idea of negotiating with the Taliban in Afghanistan, but we don't seem to be getting anywhere, perhaps it's worth a try, not least so we can GTFO. As for "Terrorism" and the so-called "Al-Qaeda", it's not going to end until we address the causes, the reasons and the context for why people have been persuaded to wage Jihad in Western countries in the first place. This is something people rarely understand or want to acknowledge - one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, there are reasons for everything. Not always good ones, but there is cause and effect, and the West - or rather Western government policy - is a huge part of it.

Dante'sgirl

Forever For Dante
When I heard he was dead I could not be happy like many others were...Moreover I find something fishy in his cause of death

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I certainly wasn't jubilant. The people celebrating the death - any death - I don't understand them, or perhaps they don't understand death. And I know what death looks like when it's violent, and even when you feel like revenge on the ones who did it... and even if they die too... it's not something to celebrate.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13313201

Al-Qaeda has confirmed the death of its leader Osama Bin Laden, according to a statement attributed to the group and posted on jihadist internet forums.

The statement said his blood would not be "wasted" and that al-Qaeda would continue attacking the US and allies.

Bin Laden's death would be a "curse" for the US and urged an uprising in Pakistan, the statement added.

"[Osama Bin Laden's blood] will remain, with permission from Allah, the Almighty, a curse that chases the Americans and their agents, and goes after them inside and outside their countries," it warned.

"Their happiness will turn into sorrow, and their blood will be mixed with their tears. We call upon our Muslim people in Pakistan, on whose land Sheikh Osama was killed, to rise up and revolt."

Correspondents say many Pakistanis are angry at what they see as a US infringement of their country's sovereignty.

They are also critical of Pakistan's government for allowing the commando operation to happen, although officials deny they were told.

Pretty much the response you'd expect from them, whether photos released or not.

Elton John

Pretty much the response you'd expect from them, whether photos released or not.

Aye, it's convenient to them to agree that their leader was killed by Americans so that they can fill the hatred of their followers. But if it was indeed kidney failure some years ago like other people claim.. ehh.. not so convenient.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if they found his corpse, shot it a couple times, and said they did it.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
^never thought of that, IMO but its a very good theory.

Does anyone remember a game release not too long after the attacks called "America's Most wanted"?
I remember seeing it in a shop and thinking that it was 'in bad taste'.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I'm a bit worried for the Olympics.

As am I. In my opinion, they shouldn't have announced his death at all so that terrorists wouldn't get the idea in their head to start blowing **** up even more than they have before.

Top Bottom