• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The appearance of Sparda.

Railazel

This has got to be the funniest thread I've ever read.

Anyways, just so I could end this conversation now.

e6f4e92b4cc35855d48da3585a60ab27.jpg

BAM!

ZeroLove

Oh good, so the official Sparda look is the one in Devil May Cry 3. I prefer that look over the other one where he looks like an old fart from the 17th century. Just lose the monocle, it's just too cheesy. He's a demon warrior, why would he need a monocle?

DeamonslayeR

The one true son of Sparda
Oh good, so the official Sparda look is the one in Devil May Cry 3. I prefer that look over the other one where he looks like an old fart from the 17th century. Just lose the monocle, it's just too cheesy. He's a demon warrior, why would he need a monocle?
i dont know BUT ITS PRETTY F**KING COOL THOUGH.

DeamonslayeR

This has got to be the funniest thread I've ever read.

Anyways, just so I could end this conversation now.

e6f4e92b4cc35855d48da3585a60ab27.jpg

BAM!
Because we the funniest me and demongenral XD
nice find dude but that is demonic aura type dt or.......WTF.
we need full body dt

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
I really don't think so. To me, monocles have always been associated with stuck up posh old British men with an odd moustache, eating scones and drinking tea. I really don't find that cool. XD
In DMC3 and Marvel vs Capcom 3, the monocle suddenly changes color to black like an eyepatch without the elastic band.

1379452024.jpg
Don't underestimate the power of purple.

Sparda_-_MVC3_and_DMC.jpg

DeamonslayeR

I really don't think so. To me, monocles have always been associated with stuck up posh old British men with an odd moustache, eating scones and drinking tea. I really don't find that cool. XD
But dude it looks so awesome to me a guy who is a warrior and yet so sophisticated and intelligent

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
The only official and cannon related pictures of Sparda I've seen are:
1. The opening DMC which has Sparda swinging his sword.
2. The Sparda costume from DMC1 and DMC3
And well really that's it. Sparda is the only hero I know who looks cool with a monocle.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
A monocle doesn't tell if a man is intelligent or sophisticated. It just tells that the man has a sight-problem from one eye.

They were also used as a quick substitute for glasses or magnifying glasses. Rather than putting on glasses and taking them off all the time, the monocle could be worn on a chain and quickly used to look closely at something. It doesn't auto-imply the person has an eye problem.

If you can look past the silly assumption a character is 'intelligent' or sophisticated just because they have a monocle, look past your own assumption that they might be stuck-up, crusty Victorians...?

...Although I do think that's kind of what CAPCOM was going for with Sparda. They gave him a monocle to make him look 'period' and upper-class because that's exactly what people would think when they saw a monocle. I doubt Sparda would ever have needed a monocle, but he was disguising himself as a human, and since he ruled the human world from some position of influence or other, I guess he might have worn monocles to appear a certain way.

ZeroLove

They were also used as a quick substitute for glasses or magnifying glasses. Rather than putting on glasses and taking them off all the time, the monocle could be worn on a chain and quickly used to look closely at something. It doesn't auto-imply the person has an eye problem.

If you can look past the silly assumption a character is 'intelligent' or sophisticated just because they have a monocle, look past your own assumption that they might be stuck-up, crusty Victorians...?

...Although I do think that's kind of what CAPCOM was going for with Sparda. They gave him a monocle to make him look 'period' and upper-class because that's exactly what people would think when they saw a monocle. I doubt Sparda would ever have needed a monocle, but he was disguising himself as a human, and since he ruled the human world from some position of influence or other, I guess he might have worn monocles to appear a certain way.

If you can show me a character who isn't as I described and still uses a monocle, I will take it back. ^^

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I've never seen Sparda eat scones or drink tea, he doesn't have a mustache, and I'll bet he's not British.

ZeroLove

I've never seen Sparda eat scones or drink tea, he doesn't have a mustache, and I'll bet he's not British.

Touché. XD
Alright, I did mean someone else than Sparda, but I wasn't really making that clear. My mistake. :p

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I do agree with what you're saying, though... I can think of two other videogame characters off the top of my head that have monocles, Henry Hatsworth (who totally fits your description), and Balder from Bayonetta. Henry Hatsworth has a mustache and is even posing with a cup of tea on the game cover - a screaming stereotype - and Balder seems to be wearing one as part of his upper class fashion ensemble. I do think sticking monocles on characters by game designers infers they're supposed to be quirky, English or upper-class/royalty.

I just wanted to point out that people still use monocles today, especially as handy magnifying glasses. The stereotype of them is pretty dug-in, though.

ZeroLove

I do agree with what you're saying, though... I can think of two other videogame characters off the top of my head that have monocles, Henry Hatsworth (who totally fits your description), and Balder from Bayonetta. Henry Hatsworth has a mustache and is even posing with a cup of tea on the game cover - a screaming stereotype - and Balder seems to be wearing one as part of his upper class fashion ensemble. I do think sticking monocles on characters by game designers infers they're supposed to be quirky, English or upper-class/royalty.

I just wanted to point out that people still use monocles today, especially as handy magnifying glasses. The stereotype of them is pretty dug-in, though.

I grew up with Disney cartoons and the like, so I think the stereotype stuck with me. XD

Top Bottom