• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Stances > Styles? Hear me out

EvilX-81

Am I the only one who likes the implementation of the stances in DmC over DMC4's styles? I know NT gets huge flak over the removal of traditional styles, but I don't think they get enough cred for the implementation of the stances from the perspective of button configuration.

I got huge respect for those who play DMC4 and can flick through all those styles with no problem. But for me, while I enjoy some dmc4, don't plan on playing as diligently as would probably be needed to master flipping through them on the fly like such, or dipping my hand in mutagen to grow that much needed 3rd thumb, think how the button implementation of DmC's stance was ultimately a step in the right direction, or at least a nice try.

As is, it does mean that ultimately the styles/stances that can be jammed into a game on the fly may be limited though (possibly 4 at max), and I think this is the main reason they didn't put in the lock-on (with shoot/jump set to one of second evade buttons, controller config is tapped out) but toggling them on the L/R/no buttons is certainly a lot easier and intuitive in the heat of combat, and the only thing I have to keep active track of is the weapon loadout.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
I kind of wish that it was a "hard" change instead of a "soft" change, where you toggle instead of hold. But other than that, I agree. I think it was an excellent idea.

Rayl

Pain and pleasure... I've got it all.
I won't disagree that the stances were a good idea, far from it in fact.

I would say however that i believe you'd have alot easier of a time if styles were implemented in a similar fashion, four styles that you can switch between via use of the shoulder buttons (Two styles per shoulder which you can remap to your liking would be the ideal situation) instead of the D-Pad.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I prefer stances.

I didn't like cycling through weapons, guns, and styles, and I certainly didn't feel like becoming a master player just to enjoy it.

Bude8

I fail to see the logic here!
What I want is Style switching from DMC4 but the styles and moveset from DMC3
I don't mind stances but colour coded enemies are a nightmare to fight

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
What's so hard about style switch in DMC4? We still switch weapons in DmC in the same button layout, and it's the same deal, how much it's going to be hard to use it between combos it's up to you. I for one had no trouble whatsoever with styles on DMC4, seeing it's the same system from DMC3 with the difference you don't have to wait for the next mission screen to use it. .-.

Ruisu

Well you did in dmc 4 it was all on the fly, no menus. In dmc 1 you could use all your guns/weapons but had to pause the game to select them.

Come on, even in bayonetta you changed between the sword and guns.

AlchemistFromEden

Well you did in dmc 4 it was all on the fly, no menus. In dmc 1 you could use all your guns/weapons but had to pause the game to select them.

Come on, even in bayonetta you changed between the sword and guns.
still had to watch dante glow like a strobe light during combos which really ruined the immersion and the idea that i have access to everything at once, i hate the idea that a style literally replaces every move except for the ones that pertain to that style, ends up making everything convoluted

Ruisu

What? Dante glows for like a second in the instant that you change a style, unless you're talking about those "combo-mad" on youtube.
Hell, I would even go as far as stay in place when changing styles just so Dante would strike his pose, like the style change was a taunt on it's on, so there's immersion for ya.

I don't even know what you're talking about with "a style literally replaces every move except for the ones that pertain to that style", since in DMC 4 the style changes the function of literlly ONE button in your entire control layout.
You could say that this addition makes Dante's moveset more confusing that it needs to be, but to that I could only say that nothing in the game forces you keep changing styles all the time and not play the game just like you would play DMC 3.

And again, even in DmC you have to use the directional buttons to change some weapons. You're not forced to do it, as you could just as much choose your favorite two and stick with them, but the same goes for Styles in DMC4.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Switching between Alastor and Ifirit was simple and on the fly actually, just press l3/r3 together. Admittedly, I think it was mentioned once in the manuel and the game itself didn't really explain that one, so...I can(serious, not being an ass) see how it was missed duringh the three-day-course(now I'm being an ass. XD)

MegaMad9

The Mad Man
I never liked the style system in DMC3. I felt it restricted the way I play, I had to choose to either do cool combos (swordmaster), have the ability to block and parry (royalguard), or be able to DASH (Trickster). Also, personally, I thought gunslinger was almost completely useless.
I like DmC's "stance" system that lets you use anything and everything in your arsenal

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I never liked the style system in DMC3. I felt it restricted the way I play, I had to choose to either do cool combos (swordmaster), have the ability to block and parry (royalguard), or be able to DASH (Trickster). Also, personally, I thought gunslinger was almost completely useless.
I like DmC's "stance" system that lets you use anything and everything in your arsenal
Agree on having eveyerthing on hand. Disagree on Gunslinger. It was all about STYLE BABY!

EvilX-81

You could say that this addition makes Dante's moveset more confusing that it needs to be, but to that I could only say that nothing in the game forces you keep changing styles all the time and not play the game just like you would play DMC 3.

For me, that didn't cut it once I got to DMD mode, because of weapons like Pandora needing Gunslinger or needing sum Real Impact, Swordmastering for the extra melee, or Trickstering to keep near enemies or dodge because side roll is crap, which is all rather basic but needed uses. I found myself mainly having to at least switch between Swordmaster and Trickster on the fly if I wanted to finish a level without a sh*t rating from deaths.

Agree on having eveyerthing on hand. Disagree on Gunslinger. It was all about STYLE BABY!

DMC3's gunslinger was so much damn fun, though I certainly didn't find myself using it as much as the other styles, normally swordmaster.

Ruisu

For me, that didn't cut it once I got to DMD mode, because of weapons like Pandora needing Gunslinger or needing sum Real Impact, Swordmastering for the extra melee, or Trickstering to keep near enemies or dodge because side roll is crap, which is all rather basic but needed uses. I found myself mainly having to at least switch between Swordmaster and Trickster on the fly if I wanted to finish a level without a sh*t rating from deaths.

But I'm talking about average level here. Of course if you're gonna advance in higher difficulties, you're gonna have to master the game's mechanics, and that includes on the fly style changing. That's just logic, right?

Switching between Alastor and Ifirit was simple and on the fly actually, just press l3/r3 together. Admittedly, I think it was mentioned once in the manuel and the game itself didn't really explain that one, so...I can(serious, not being an ass) see how it was missed duringh the three-day-course(now I'm being an ass. XD)
three day course? You lost me there o_õ
Then again, when the first DMC came out I was much yonger (by 2001 I had about 11? 10? something like that) and only played it about three times. And it was a pirate version. But I do remember that you had to go in-menu to change your guns.
DMC3-4 had a much simpler weapon change mechanic anyway.
And I do wonder how somebody that played DMC1 felt that Styles "limited" its gameplay options. We wouldn't even have most of those options before. It's like saying having to choose a character class limits your gameplay choices.
And then again, DMC4 came and gave you the choice to change those "classes" at any given time in-game.

EvilX-81

But I'm talking about average level here. Of course if you're gonna advance in higher difficulties, you're gonna have to master the game's mechanics, and that includes on the fly style changing. That's just logic, right?

Which comes back to my point, that flicking between styles on the d-pad felt clumsy, but if you want to get anywhere on the higher difficulties, that's how you need to learn to play.

Ruisu

Which comes back to my point, that flicking between styles on the d-pad felt clumsy, but if you want to get anywhere on the higher difficulties, that's how you need to learn to play.
Well, I highly disagree, since it's was only a matter of knowing how to change them properly.

I don't know how "pros" do it, but for me, quick style changing felt much more natural and easier when I realized I could just ignore the left stick (PS3 controller) during an attack animation and move into the D-pad with no risk of missing my attack, since most of those attacks have dante moving slightly forward in the opponents direction.

EvilX-81

Well, I highly disagree, since it's was only a matter of knowing how to change them properly.

I don't know how "pros" do it, but for me, quick style changing felt much more natural and easier when I realized I could just ignore the left stick (PS3 controller) during an attack animation and move into the D-pad with no risk of missing my attack, since most of those attacks have dante moving slightly forward in the opponents direction.

Using attacks or other movements to buffer between switching styles without the pose animation coming up, right? Those moments are fine. But that's the thing; you have to give up mobility to switch a style if you're not on the attack or jumping or whatnot. When I'm running around on the defense or maneuvering the area, I have to let up on the analog to give a moment to flicking a button on the d-pad, which in the heat of battle, in the middle of trying to quickly defend myself, could be rather tough. Or when I'm trying to use a specific attack (let's say Real Impact) on a vulnerable enemy who's far away, using trickster to get over to them. So I need to switch styles and make sure of the weapon I need before the window closes.

Also another point in "stances" corner, I need to keep up with which style I've switched too; in stances, I know because of whatever button I'm holding or not holding.

Ruisu

Using attacks or other movements to buffer between switching styles without the pose animation coming up, right? Those moments are fine. But that's the thing; you have to give up mobility to switch a style if you're not on the attack or jumping or whatnot. When I'm running around on the defense or maneuvering the area, I have to let up on the analog to give a moment to flicking a button on the d-pad, which in the heat of battle, in the middle of trying to quickly defend myself, could be rather tough. Or when I'm trying to use a specific attack (let's say Real Impact) on a vulnerable enemy who's far away, using trickster to get over to them. So I need to switch styles and make sure of the weapon I need before the window closes.

Also another point in "stances" corner, I need to keep up with which style I've switched too; in stances, I know because of whatever button I'm holding or not holding.

But isn't the meaning of mastering style change exactly what you listed? I could mention some other solutions I've come up with time for the last things you mentioned, but I don't remember them this moment.

I'll give you that the stances system is easier to learn and deal with than the Style system, but that does not equal better for me, since you get a smaller move-set for each weapon, and the idea of "heavy weapons" and "light weapons" from Heavenly Sword that was adapted for DmC is a bit too simple. Though it does work for DmC itself.

EvilX-81

But isn't the meaning of mastering style change exactly what you listed? I

Yes, inwhich mastering means playing the **** of DMC4 more than possibly any other game I've ever played thus far in order to get over this massive clumsiness factor.

I'll give you that the stances system is easier to learn and deal with than the Style system, but that does not equal better for me, since you get a smaller move-set for each weapon, and the idea of "heavy weapons" and "light weapons" from Heavenly Sword that was adapted for DmC is a bit too simple. Though it does work for DmC itself.

I agree, though I think it worked out better than I initially thought from the demo, in that I was just going to Arbiter and Rebellion everything that wasn't color coded, f--k off Osiris.

Top Bottom