• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Spoiler heavy? (The unanswered question)

Taramafor

So first of all this is your only warning. If you haven't played the game yet and haven't reached the point where you find out about you know who then now's your chance to get out.

I'm going to ask this in the most vague way possible, that only makes sense to people that know him.

How DID he come back? Seriously, we get a lot of answers in the game but this is one question that was never ever answered.

If there's an answer in the game I haven't found it. Not even in the notes. I can make sense of everything else but this just keeps bugging me and everything else has an answer (I even figured out who Nico's farther is). I can only chalk it down to plot oversight. Unless the next DMC game answers it somehow. Given that it's such a MAJOR part of the game I'm surprised it's so easily overlooked.

Only answer I can come up with is it was an illusion or something. Which is actually possible given the abilities this person has.

DarkSlayer54

I've been saying this since for a decade, but I don't think he ever died in DMC1. He simply teleported off to another island, or back to hell. From there, the only question is how he was able to survive his deteriorating state for so long. Maybe he was able to sustain his form in hell, and only started deteriorating in the human world?

Taramafor

Considering he glows white like with the yamato portals it does make sense he teleported.

Virgil also never comments on the amulet he lost. He wanted to keep that pretty badly in 3. It's probably on a shelf now at Dante's place.

Not sure how long it's been between 1 and 5.

Personally I'm hoping for one more DMC game that answers this along with what happened to Nero's mother.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
The amulets were combined with the force edge to make sparda , they can only be got back by separating them from sparda (which is now fused with rebellion into Dante's new sword)

So the amulets are gone now

As for how Vergil may have survived, he was simply corrupted as nelo Angelo , my guess is Dante freed him from that control when he beat him the third time and he roamed the underworld since

DarkSlayer54

During Mission 14, V has some sort of line like... "Is this dimension healing my body?".

I noticed it during on the way to the first boss door

Vergil95

Might controls everything, and without strength, y
After dante defeated nelo Angelo the third time in dmc 1 he doesn't die, he simply teleported to another place like he did in the other mission only that this time he was free from mundus influence, however since his body had suffered defeat after defeat (first defeated by dante at the end of dmc 3, than by mundus, than was controlled by him and defeated 3 times by dante in dmc 1) vergil body had reached his limit and he was wondering like a dead man as you can see in dmc 5, he was completely wearing down, so he decided to separate the human part from the demon part so his demon part will gain more power tu surive wail is human part who vergil thought to be the weak part, was left to die sooner or later... However V the human part manage to survive and urizen the demon part manage to obtain the fruit of the qhilphot who give him great power, but nonetheless was defeated by dante, only then both Vergil human side and demon side realized that they both need each other to survive, so they unite again once more and vergil returned...

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
I kept saying that for years that he didn’t die in DMC 1 and that after Dante beat him he just vanished. The explosion as Nelo Angelo is obviously what separates him and since then he’s been slowly regaining his strength.

Not many people agreed with me but the events of 5 seem to show this to be the case now.

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
So first of all this is your only warning. If you haven't played the game yet and haven't reached the point where you find out about you know who then now's your chance to get out.

I'm going to ask this in the most vague way possible, that only makes sense to people that know him.

How DID he come back? Seriously, we get a lot of answers in the game but this is one question that was never ever answered.

If there's an answer in the game I haven't found it. Not even in the notes. I can make sense of everything else but this just keeps bugging me and everything else has an answer (I even figured out who Nico's farther is). I can only chalk it down to plot oversight. Unless the next DMC game answers it somehow. Given that it's such a MAJOR part of the game I'm surprised it's so easily overlooked.

Only answer I can come up with is it was an illusion or something. Which is actually possible given the abilities this person has.
My interpretation was he never really died, but was likely sent away to the Underworld for his failure to beat Dante, and after Mundus' defeat, was forced to fend for himself in the demon world, without a weapon, or at-least HIS weapon. Until he finally got lucky and found a rift he could use to escape.
In the DMC5 prequel novel, it mentions how Dante was able to escape from hell after DMC2. Basically he got lucky and found a rift that was strong enough for him to pass

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
The thing that muddies all this is that thanks to the prequel novel we have a much clearer sense of the timeline and that the "death" of Nelo Angelo was 16 years prior to the start of DMC5.

So that's a long time for Vergil to be wandering around and/or dying before he shows up in front of Nero. I'm not sure if the devs put too much thought into the hows and whys of his return, just that they wanted him back definitively going forward. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Vergil95

The thing that muddies all this is that thanks to the prequel novel we have a much clearer sense of the timeline and that the "death" of Nelo Angelo was 16 years prior to the start of DMC5.

So that's a long time for Vergil to be wandering around and/or dying before he shows up in front of Nero. I'm not sure if the devs put too much thought into the hows and whys of his return, just that they wanted him back definitively going forward. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just think he is like voldemort from Harry Potter.... Voldemort after his death remained in a ghost like state, neither living nor dead for, 15 years until he find a way to return... Same for vergil his body was weak and destroyed but was still alive, after the return of Yamato he managed to reach Fortuna and take Nero harm... Why he know where Yamato was? Well he probably can sense it like he managed to sense sparda sword in mission 9 of dmc 5

DarkSlayer54

Just think he is like voldemort from Harry Potter.... Voldemort after his death remained in a ghost like state, neither living nor dead for, 15 years until he find a way to return... Same for vergil his body was weak and destroyed but was still alive, after the return of Yamato he managed to reach Fortuna and take Nero harm... Why he know where Yamato was? Well he probably can sense it like he managed to sense sparda sword in mission 9 of dmc 5

I think it's easier to explain that he stayed in the demon world until he recovered enough to return for a day.

DMC5 seems to hint at that, after all.

Vergil95

I think it's easier to explain that he stayed in the demon world until he recovered enough to return for a day.

DMC5 seems to hint at that, after all.
Well it is never stated what he did during the 15 yeas gap... I was just trying to figure out what he did, but it's just an assumption of mine... Also way everyone say That he stayed in the demon world for 15 year? I mean, he was defeated by dante in mallet Island who is located in the human world not in the demon world, he probably teleported some where else in the human world, why should he have teleported in the demon world? Probably we will have more clarification on this in the upcoming Manga devil may cry 5 vision of V

DarkSlayer54

Well it is never stated what he did during the 15 yeas gap... I was just trying to figure out what he did, but it's just an assumption of mine... Also way everyone say That he stayed in the demon world for 15 year? I mean, he was defeated by dante in mallet Island who is located in the human world not in the demon world, he probably teleported some where else in the human world, why should he have teleported in the demon world? Probably we will have more clarification on this in the upcoming Manga devil may cry 5 vision of V

To me it just seems like the easiest explanation. Mallet Island was connected to the demon world, and V seemed to imply that the demon world has healing properties, even to half demons like himself.

Vergil95

To me it just seems like the easiest explanation. Mallet Island was connected to the demon world, and V seemed to imply that the demon world has healing properties, even to half demons like himself.
V was no referring to the demon world but to the hillusion he was in, and Infact his body was still deteriorated, it was just an illusion that his body was recovering, Infact his body was the same as before when he got out of the illusion

Taramafor

Strength of mind. Even if it was an illusion his MIND grew stronger. If he was weak of mind he'd have lost to the illusion bosses.

This only raises more questions. Maybe the stones had an effect or something? But that seems to be the source of the illusions in the first place.

Top Bottom