• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SPLINTER CELL: THE MOVIE.

Teal

A self-diagnosed misanthrope
Yep, Splinter Cell is getting a movie adaptation sometimes in 2015. Now, I know that movie adaptations of videogames mostly turn out to be sh!tty, but this one seems really promising for mainly two reasons:

Tom Hardy as Sam Fisher: You know the guy from Inception and as Bane from The Dark Knight Rises. Though, I think his biggest career highlight as an actor was as Charles Bronson in the critically well-received movie Bronson. He is British and has a british accent, but he doesn't have a problem with switching to an American accent now and then. I think he is gonna portray Sam Fisher as he needs to be.

But, of course, he isn't exactly the best casting choice. While Sam Fisher is 1.88 cm, Tom Hardy is 1.75. Tom's age also doesn't fit. While Sam Fisher was 46 in the first Splinter Cell, Tom Hardy is currently ten years younger.

Doug Liman to direct the movie: In case you are not familiar with Doug Liman, he is the go-to guy if you wanna make a spy flick. His notable work include The Bourne Identity, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Fair Game. His earlier work also include a bunch of comedy-thrillers that everybody eventually forgot about. He is also working in the extremely promising sci-fi movie called Edge of Tomorrow, with Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise. I have faith that he will deliver the movie justice.

Of course, like every director, he's had his slip-ups too. I am talking about Jumper, a science fiction movie which has Hayden Christensen teleport around the world while trying to escape a bunch of baddies. It was critically panned, but I like to believe that only happened because of Christensen's incredibly bad acting.

They haven't revealed much as of yet, so all's left for us is to cross our fingers and hope that this movie will manage to break the curse that's been plaguing movie-videogames since a while now.

Teal

I'm amazed this beat MetalGearSolid & Halo to the silver screen.
Honestly, Metal Gear Solid is not fit for the silver screen. It's got an extremely convoluted and episodic plot that can't be summed up in one movie. Halo, though, I agree with you there. It's got Steven Spielberg written all over it.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
Game adaptations actually turn out great but they decided to create a splinter cell movie way back when splinter cell chaos theory came out but they decided not to.

Dark Drakan

Admin
I like Tom as an actor and hes played some fantastic roles, personally I think hes wasted in a video game movie.

Teal

Oh, a Metal Gear Solid movie IS in the works. I believe I read somewhere Avi Arad is producing it, but I don't really think it's a good idea. Hollywood can make anything into a movie, but not all turn out to be good movies, especially considering that Avi Arad suggested for a small-time actor to play as Solid Snake.

There were also rumours J.J Abrams was in talks to direct the movie, but so far nothing's been proven.

What I am trying to say is that it's very easy to make a crappy movie adaptation of videogames. That's what the movie industry has been doing ever since videogames came to life. So far though, no one has managed to make a worthwhile videogame tie-in/stand-alone adaptation.

Top Bottom