• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sparda.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Right, defeating one of strongest demon and sealing a gateway between human and demon world is pretty lack luster compared to doing nothing.

But that's what's SAID, there's no story on HOW he did it. if he did it indeed all alone, then whye wasn't SPARDA the king of the Underworld in the first place if he's that powerful to take on Mundus, the armies of hell, AND seal the demon world away?

A lot is that Capcom's method is "don't ever tell or actually detail it, that requires work, just say "he's suppose dto be a mystery" to cover your laziness."

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
N. Sparda just hid his kids from Mundus. Didn't leave any clues what to do, just mind wipe and see ya later. And then he got IMPRISONED for eternity. Wow.

This is incorrect, because Sparda and Eva both armed their sons.

Sparda gave them swords, one that could take many forms, great for the frontlines, and one the key to locking the Hell Gate. Eva gave them the Amulets, which gave them access to immense haxx0r powers.

Sparda confronting Mundus to draw ire away from his children is a little better than whatever disappearing act classic Sparda did. All we know is at some point, he left, leaving his sons swords, and then he died. We don't even know how he died.

And how can u say anything about inspiration considering the guy who doesn't even have a FACE, and the most demonic thing about him is HORNS. Even Devs didn't care about him.

While I'm not going to comment on the idea of "inspiration," I do feel that you're coming from a very ignorant and biased stance against the game for instantly thinking that hiding a character's features is a sign of laziness and little care on the developer's part. It's nearly impossible to believe "they just didn't care enough to give him a face" when it is literally one of the easiest things to do, giving someone a generic face...why would the devs care enough to make faces for civilian characters, but not bother just giving one to Sparda as well...? If they really didn't care, they would have plastered a normal NPC face on him, but no...they had another idea in mind, one that gives the character a sense of mystery.

You're logic is flawed there.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Maybe he doest not see himself as a leader?
Laziness? You could say same about NT.
Anyway i prefer that than new Sparda who is just Mundus brother and had angel wife.

Teimurazor

Peregrine Falcon
While I'm not going to comment on the idea of "inspiration," I do feel that you're coming from a very ignorant and biased stance against the game for instantly thinking that hiding a character's features is a sign of laziness and little care on the developer's part. It's nearly impossible to believe "they just didn't care enough to give him a face" when it is literally one of the easiest things to do, giving someone a generic face...why would the devs care enough to make faces for civilian characters, but not bother just giving one to Sparda as well...? If they really didn't care, they would have plastered a normal NPC face on him, but no...they had another idea in mind, one that gives the character a sense of mystery.

You're logic is flawed there.

I would understand if there was ANY reason for not giving him a face. But there is none. I really can't see one. And I would buy this sense of mistery stuff, if it was something like Master Chief's face. Like people were trolled, getting cut of the shot just before the moment the face was shown, but not here. Here the face is just non existant, there is nothing to it. Yeah, maybe my logic is flawed here, but it's my opinion after all.

C. Sparda did some fighting as well. Wasn't he the one to fight the whole army of demons amongst the humans? And his deeds actually draw the demons back, giving Eva the time to raise and train his children to be the demon slayers they became.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I would understand if there was ANY reason for not giving him a face. But there is none. I really can't see one. And I would buy this sense of mistery stuff, if it was something like Master Chief's face. Like people were trolled, getting cut of the shot just before the moment the face was shown, but not here. Here the face is just non existant, there is nothing to it. Yeah, maybe my logic is flawed here, but it's my opinion after all.

It's leaving things to mystery for a sequel, or something. Thing to reveal later. There's any number of reasons to leave the features of a character hidden, and it's usually to create mystery and for something that can be drawn upon later. Laziness just doesn't mix with the equation.

It also could really have been about paying homage to the mystery of the classic Sparda. I still believe we don't actually know what his real face looks like, because every model used for him as a skin is just Dante's face...so either it's really just a costume Dante is wearing, or his kids looked like carbon copies of him >.<

C. Sparda did some fighting as well. Wasn't he the one to fight the whole army of demons amongst the humans? And his deeds actually draw the demons back, giving Eva the time to raise and train his children to be the demon slayers they became.

Classic Eva had no hand in Dante and Vergil's fighting proficiency, she was just a swell gal that Sparda loved, and a neat mom to the kids. She gave them the Amulets, but even then they weren't hers...she got them from Sparda, who got the Perfect Amulet from the humans...who got it from Mundus >.<

And Sparda fought alongside the humans against the demons. That's good, I'd just actually like to know more than that. What makes him such a legend over all the other great people he served with? Y'know?

I feel much like you - I think that the developers did a lazy job in expanding upon why classic Sparda is supposed to be seen as "legendary," because all they did was keep telling me he was. I'm just not wholly convinced :/

Part of the reason why so many want a DMC where you play as Sparda, and experience things through his eyes to really learn the "why" of it all.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
And the constant fallback of the writers and Devs saying "well, we don't want to tell too much or likley do a game about Sparda himself because THAT WILL REMOVE THE MYSTERIOUSNESS about him" is the sheer laziness.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I can understand wanting to keep the mystery alive...but...there really aren't many other recourses for making another DMC that would be engaging past its gameplay. Nero and Sparda are all that's left :p

And usually, mysteries are meant to be revealed at some point, so yeah...not wanting to reveal it is sorta lazy, or, they have no faith in their ability to tell a good story out of it >.<

Teimurazor

Peregrine Falcon
It's leaving things to mystery for a sequel, or something. Thing to reveal later. There's any number of reasons to leave the features of a character hidden, and it's usually to create mystery and for something that can be drawn upon later. Laziness just doesn't mix with the equation.
Well, you may be right. Like if Dante actually meets him while travelling throught the hell or something. Tho whenever DmC2 will see the light of day is the whole other question now, seeing the sales...

And Sparda fought alongside the humans against the demons. That's good, I'd just actually like to know more than that. What makes him such a legend over all the other great people he served with? Y'know? I feel much like you - I think that the developers did a lazy job in expanding upon why classic Sparda is supposed to be seen as "legendary," because all they did was keep telling me he was. I'm just not wholly convinced :/

I guess he was the general, leading the army into the fight, as well as a heavy-hitter, taking on the ones like Beowulf and etc. while soldiers were facing lesser demons. Also I think that the thing that made him a legend was the fact that he was a Demon, being able to fall in love with a human women and fight for her against his own kind.

Part of the reason why so many want a DMC where you play as Sparda, and experience things through his eyes to really learn the "why" of it all.
Same here, would love to see Sparda kicking ass in the large scale all out war against the demon forces...

BY THESE GUYS
platinum_logo--article_image.jpg

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Well, you may be right. Like if Dante actually meets him while travelling throught the hell or something. Tho whenever DmC2 will see the light of day is the whole other question now, seeing the sales...

That's usually the idea, yeah.

I guess he was the general, leading the army into the fight, as well as a heavy-hitter, taking on the ones like Beowulf and etc. while soldiers were facing lesser demons. Also I think that the thing that made him a legend was the fact that he was a Demon, being able to fall in love with a human women and fight for her against his own kind.

The problem is that's all conjecture. We know that he confronted all these different demons, but we have like...no timeline. We have 2000 years worth of events, and we have maybe...hours at best :/

Same here, would love to see Sparda kicking ass in the large scale all out war against the demon forces...

BY THESE GUYS
platinum_logo--article_image.jpg

I think I'll pass on Platinum working on a narrative...that's never really their strong suit...if people want a Sparda game, they want one that's gonna tell a good story to flesh out his legend, not just having good gameplay, which is pretty much just standard :p

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Is it possible that the reason for Sparda's face never being revealed is that it's symbolic of Dante's memory still being incomplete?

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Yeah, if you assign Platnium the GAMEPLAY aspect, that would work, and assign a different team to narrative. Honestly, I think that's where a straight Classic DMC with NT handling storyboarding in accordance with classic canon would do well, because while the storyline in DMC was just as simplistic at it's core ad DMC1, it was more COHERENT and internally consistant, and that is NT's strong suit; the storytelling and presentation of.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I think Sparda should make future appearances after 2 & 3. If Sparda was able to escape, he'd be training and regaining his strength for the true battle to come.

Dante and Sparda should reunite and work together and get along as true father and son relationships should.

Think of Sparda looking like the old Dante and acting as Kevin Flynn from Tron.

They can even look up on Sparda's past on how his life began before meeting Eva.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
I don't see why Platinum needs to be part of the gameplay at all. Capcom still knows how to make a DMC game...they've literally been doing it for years...

However, it's not like it would happen anyway, since Platinum and Capcom don't seem to get along...
I'm giving the Kamiya fanboys and the Platnium fanatics their fantasy, it's become pointless to try and point this fault in their logic of "Platnium = AQWESOMEIAHJGKSDBNDJFG!" anymore.

EllDawn

I always thought they both were trying to get the kids out. Sparda was able to get Vergil out before realizing Eva and Dante were still inside. I'm guessing he went in, found Dante and learned from him that Eva was dead. Since he had two kids to worry about, he would have gone through with erasing their memories and taking them to orphanages, hoping they'd both be adopted into good families. Then I think he would have gone to take revenge for Eva. He wouldn't have known that Mundus saw Dante, and Eva still would have died trying to protect Dante. This is at least what I got from the images they showed in the game.

AlchemistFromEden

Well. NOPE.
O. Sparda did just as much to ensure his kids to be ready when the time to fight the demons comes. He left them the keys to the hellgates and Temen-Ni-Gru, how is that not helping in the long run, huh?
N. Sparda just hid his kids from Mundus. Didn't leave any clues what to do, just mind wipe and see ya later. And then he got IMPRISONED for eternity. Wow.
O. Sparda was badass enough to fight back all the demon forces by himself. Even Mundus couldn've done **** to him, and was just cowardly waiting for him to dissapear.

And how can u say anything about inspiration considering the guy who doesn't even have a FACE, and the most demonic thing about him is HORNS. Even Devs didn't care about him.
and sparda couldn't have shut down the hellgates and temen-ni-gru why? when his weapons were more than capable of destroying them -__-
DmC is about DANTE AND VERGIL, not a bunch of people just referring to them as the sons of sparda and not even acknowledging that they were their own character, which is exactly what the old DMC did, it was just about dante cleaning up daddy's messes, wonder why he never cared about closing the hellgates so that demons couldn't show up or making it so that temen-ni-gru couldn't be revived, there is no explanation

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Oddly enough, Sparda did shut down Temen-ni-gru.

That was supposed to be the main portal between Earth and Hell, and Sparda closed it. That's why it was underground in the first place. Then Vergil had to go and screw it aaaaaaaaaaall up.

"C'mon bro! What the hell?!"

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
and sparda couldn't have shut down the hellgates and temen-ni-gru why? when his weapons were more than capable of destroying them -__-
Sparda sealed of Temen-Ni-Gru and didn't expect that Vergil would go and undo all his work since Yamato was the key to seal the tower in the first place.

The Hellgates in DMC4 were man made, not much Sparda could do about that.

AlchemistFromEden

lol please point me to the source outside of your fanfiction that says that sparda trained the kids -_-

Top Bottom