• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Soulcalibur needs a reboot

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Soulcalibur's story feels screwed up.

Plus the characters are complex.

If Bandai Namco did a reboot, they need to start SC going from the past and in the near future. Our time, where some warriors had become immortal as SC & SE had been found excavated.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
If there was a new hero in our time, he'd be trained under Siegfried. But it'll be a samurai who fights similar to Mitsurugi.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Premium
I don't think rebooting would solve anything because it matters more if the writers cant pull themselves together.

Best just go bold or scrap it and start fresh

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Do people really care about this series's plot? I would just like it if they made another good SC game.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
One of the reasons Soul Calibur remains my favorite fighting game franchise was because of how much I dug the lore and the characters. Sure, both were slim and vague as all hell, and you needed to reference a ton of outside material like guidebooks and wikis to make sense of it, but the Soul mythos has always featured some compelling characters. Siegfried, Talim, Taki, and (my favorite) Mitsurugi all boasted really neat back stories, and even more entertaining confrontations.

I think the only game that fleshed out the narrative for each character was SoulCalibur III. The Legends of the Souls mode that served as the Story Mode actually crafted a plot for each character, sometimes revealing little tid-bits about the characters' personalities and motives. It wasn't the ideal plot, but it was so much better than any attempt before or after it.

If Namco really wants to salvage the story, they have one of two options:
  • Retcon SCV. SoulCalibur V added NOTHING to the series' story, and just about every character they introduced either completely sucked and was devoid of likable qualities, or whose potential as an interesting character was completely squandered.
  • Reboot the series (as OP suggested), but retain the characterizations of the original characters. They could start at the beginning by imagining the original Soul Edge game, and retelling the stories of series staples like Siegfried, Sophitia and Mitsu, but flesh them out more. Essentially what Crystal Dynamics did with Tomb Raider Legend, or what Sony's attempting to do with the new Ratchet and Clank on PS4.
If there was a new hero in our time, he'd be trained under Siegfried. But it'll be a samurai who fights similar to Mitsurugi.
They could just make a young Mitsurugi the protagonist. That's what their intention was with the very first game on PS1. You can even tell with the way he's presented on the game cover:
sb-ps1box.jpg
It would actually make sense in the context of the game's narrative. He's one of the few characters who actively stops searching for Soul Edge/Soul Calibur, and instead chooses to fight for himself. That kind of motivation would set him apart from most of the other characters, like Taki or Raphael or Sophitia, who are actively hunting for either sword for personal reasons.

Do people really care about this series's plot? I would just like it if they made another good SC game.
Believe me, that's my first priority over EVERYTHING. If any series needs to emphasize on gameplay over everything else, it's SoulCalibur, especially with how abysmal the fifth game was.

But the story and characters, as simplistic and convoluted as they can be, are still well-loved by Soul fans. This thread, I guess, is just a brainstorm to see how any of us would try fixing them. It's a situation a lot like DMC's---good game, but could be even better with the addition of a proper narrative.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I don't think SC needs reboot. That would make no sense to set game about ancient weapons in modern age…

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
That's what I'm looking for. Something that is like Highlander!

I'm thinking about Mitsurugi & Siegfried as the main heroes of the games. Eventually, with SC turning Sieg immortal, a modern but young samurai warrior gets trained under his teachings in order to wield SC if SE has returned in our time.

Zasalamel would be there too.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
That's what I'm looking for. Something that is like Highlander!

I'm thinking about Mitsurugi & Siegfried as the main heroes of the games. Eventually, with SC turning Sieg immortal, a modern but young samurai warrior gets trained under his teachings in order to wield SC if SE has returned in our time.

Zasalamel would be there too.
You would need to give strong reason to use modern weapons, since in Highlander is made sense, since it's impossible to cut off heads without swords O_O

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
You would need to give strong reason to use modern weapons, since in Highlander is made sense, since it's impossible to cut off heads without swords O_O

There won't be cutting heads.

Some warriors would live until the end when they die of old age. Some would be descendants of the old and some would be new ones in our time.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Premium
Funny thing is people do get attached to characters and stories even in franchises that don't have interest in them like DOA/NG so it's not suprising.

The problem with SC5 was every new character was a bland Shonen amine stock character and most of the backstories and connections were not in the game itself as it chose to narrow it's focus really small. So any chance at being interesting was limited from the get go.

I would not mind a tekken x soul calibur game tho.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Eventually, with SC turning Sieg immortal, a modern but young samurai warrior gets trained under his teachings in order to wield SC if SE has returned in our time.
Given how Siegfried specializes in Zweihander fighting, it would make more sense for Mitsurugi to train our unnamed samurai protagonist...or if a young novice Mitsurugi as he appears in the first game to be that young samurai protagonist.

If only SC made connections to real world history.
The series does, in fact. Quite often, if you look hard enough.

When Raphael becomes corrupted by Soul Edge in SCIII, the castle he's invading is owned by the late Vlad III Dracula, or Vlad the Impaler. Mitsurugi has been approached by historically-prominent Japanese warlords like Hideyoshi Toyotomi and Oda Nobonaga, who both comment on him as a "fine warrior" during his time as a Raider for the Murakami Navy.

Each game has a date in real-world history to correlate to historical references:
Soul Blade/Edge - 1584
SoulCalibur - 1587
SCII, III, IV - 1590
SCV - 1607

It's even labeled by Wikipedia and its own Wiki as a "historical fantasy fighting game series."

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
actually mitsurugi based on Miyamoto Musashi, who was brush vagabond who considered to be uncultured but was best swordsman in japan

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
Given how Siegfried specializes in Zweihander fighting, it would make more sense for Mitsurugi to train our unnamed samurai protagonist...or if a young novice Mitsurugi as he appears in the first game to be that young samurai protagonist.

The series does, in fact. Quite often, if you look hard enough.

When Raphael becomes corrupted by Soul Edge in SCIII, the castle he's invading is owned by the late Vlad III Dracula, or Vlad the Impaler. Mitsurugi has been approached by historically-prominent Japanese warlords like Hideyoshi Toyotomi and Oda Nobonaga, who both comment on him as a "fine warrior" during his time as a Raider for the Murakami Navy.

Each game has a date in real-world history to correlate to historical references:
Soul Blade/Edge - 1584
SoulCalibur - 1587
SCII, III, IV - 1590
SCV - 1607

It's even labeled by Wikipedia and its own Wiki as a "historical fantasy fighting game series."

Okay...

If ZWEI's story was rewritten and that he appeared in the modern century, would Siegfried train him? The young samurai after Mitsurugi (if he would be his ancestor), would still be the protagonist. The young samurai would still be mentored by Sieg.

As for Kunimitsu. If she doesn't appear in Tekken anymore, she can join SC in the modern age.

Top Bottom