• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

SOPA/PIPA

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Yeah. You could see what massive protest against goverment scored in Poland, when everybody aknowlegded about Acta. Totall sites blackout.

Blitz

Heeeeey.
Crap, now they're going to destroy YouTube, Wikipedia, Deviantart, Newgrounds, DMC.org (Noooooooooooooo), MySpace, Facebook, MSN, Twitter, SpectrumNexus, Ignition One, Onimanga... and etc.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I can't imagine life without YouTube now.

I need it for the daily funny, and for nostalgia.

Well, about SOPA/PIPA, it may have been defeated but they will just try to shove another bill quietly through again, and again, it's only a matter of time. I don't think the online protests or disagreements over it will ever end because there is no simple straight line you can draw between IP and freedom.

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
It's kind of ridiculous that SOPA/PIPA failed but they're going ahead with it anyway. To their credit they are following a real legal process in prosecuting them. The only part that concerns me is how foreign governments are making arrests at request of the US government, it's like we're literally the world police. I take solace in the fact that these site owners are getting attacked with a due process of law rather than their website revoked without so much as an apology. It's much better this way, and no more outrageous than the RIA prosecuting Napster.

I think the only thing to worry about now is the bills for internet censorship that keep popping up. COICA, SOPA, and IPA all failed, but now we need to worry about ACTA. I can rest assured that none of these bills will pass under the radar no matter how badly certain senators want them too. Anonymous and others are monitoring the lawmaking process to make sure that nothing slips by unnoticed. Now I can only wonder why the hell the media isn't doing their job and spreading it to the public but are instead criticizing the people who are doing the right thing as internet vigilantes.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Now I can only wonder why the hell the media isn't doing their job and spreading it to the public but are instead criticizing the people who are doing the right thing as internet vigilantes.

Because the media only reports what big business wants them to, not whatever's best for the public interest.

That's all the media's ever been there for, for the people who can afford it to throw money at them so they can drum up support for whatever cause they so desire and sweep anything they don't want being made public under the rug, such as the real reasons for SOPA/PIPA/similar bills existing.
If multi million/billion dollar corporations want the news reporting on and chastising people doing the right thing in standing up against these bills, then you damn well better believe that's what they're going to do, there's no honesty to the media these days, in fact I can barely remember a time when mass media has ever really held any kind of significant values.

Thing is, it doesn't work as well as it used to for them because of the internet, it's a free and open source of information, of creativity, of content. Through the internet you can find out things corporations would really rather you didn't, on top of that, time spent engaging with all this free content and material on the internet, be it youtube videos, game reviews and so on, is time you're not spending engaging with their products and services that they charge a premium for.

That scares the hell out of them, and it should, because in an age where we can pretty much find out whatever we went via the internet, and get (arguably) high quality content for absolutely no cost, big business is becoming increasingly irrelevant.
None of this has ever been about stopping piracy, execs know damn well that whatever legislation they try to force through, it won't even put a dent in the rampant issue of piracy, it's all about stifling the freedom and creativity that a free and open internet provides, so they do what they've always done, abuse a corrupt legal system that heavily favours those in power and those with money to get their way, because ultimately, between the internet and big business, they're all competing for a currency more valuable than money, and that's time.

And right now? The option that's giving us a lot of decent quality material for free is looking a hell of a lot more attractive than anything big business can send our way.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
another big blow to companies do to the internets existence is just the fact that before the internet if companies were to screw people over they could get away with it
Now with Anonymous around that is not the case , We don't let their crap pass through

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
True. I think Anonymous must be so misrepresented in the corporate media because of what they represent. They may be activists with an agenda (vague as it may be) but they are also the damn finest investigative journalists working today. If there is dirt to be dug up on any company anywhere and they try to come after internet freedom, anonymous will find out whatever they have to hide, destroy their public image, and crash their sites effectively driving a stake through their PR department. They could potentially cause billions of dollars in damages to any company, it's no wonder there's so much angst.

CBS is owned by Viacom (Paramount pictures, GameTrailers, MTV Films, Nickelodeon Movies)
MSNBC is owned by Microsoft
CNN is owned by Warner Bros.
FOX is owned by News Corporation (TONS of news and magazines, IGN, Hulu, 20th Century Fox)
and ABC is owned by none other than Disney.

They are all heavily heavily tied to the entertainment industry.

mrrandomlulz

Well we have to remember anonymous have the kind of hacking abilities to take down entire services ( psn) I would not be suprised if anonymous had the ability to take down the Internet
basically they could hack into any businesses email and monitor it and the first bit of dirt they find they could leak to the world
it's basically PETA's "showing The cruelty" strategy done right
And businesses challenge them out of fear with this bill basically
anonymous even put off one of their operations to get rid of this thing
and are protesting like no tommorow

mrrandomlulz

Crap, now they're going to destroy YouTube, Wikipedia, Deviantart, Newgrounds, DMC.org (Noooooooooooooo), MySpace, Facebook, MSN, Twitter, SpectrumNexus, Ignition One, Onimanga... and etc.
If they touch my newgrounds or my 4chan they will be out of office before you know it becuase I will go pheonix wright on their ass

mrrandomlulz

I don't even think we need to
resort to
that
as I believe anonymous and the Jan 18 issue
settled
this thing

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Fot me I just Don't care if in Poland ACTA will be accepted, and if in dec. 21 of this year world end, I could only tell God that our whole world was been ****ed with censorship.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Credo's right - I could only take comfort in due process of law if I knew for a fact that every law made was a sensible, fair one. But at the moment, they're loaded in the favour of big business. Much of the time big business is employing lobbyists to get their interests politically and 'lawfully' represented and that's rarely spoken of, but it isn't what I'd call democratic.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
So now the EU wants to rule the world... who do these idiots think they are?!

Just forgot that Megaupload was taken down... went on the site and there was a message there left by the FBI... i was expect them to come crashing through the door... :p

mrrandomlulz

The worst and funniest part Obama signed ACTA after
protesting sopa , LOL what a troll XD

cheezMcNASTY

Entertain me.
Premium
CommunismMp3.png
\

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
insulting the russians again? those guys get too much flack. Personally, a democratic government is bad... if not worse...

*thinks what would happen if DMC.ORG blacked out to protest against ACTA...*
*realization of horror*NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Concerning ACTA and the rest, Anonymous hacked the Greek Ministry of Justice site lol, here's the video from youtube. I actually saw the page hacked before they restored itXD

Ignore the greek translation.

Top Bottom