• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sony Apologizes For Use Of Church In Resistance

Dark Drakan

Admin
Seems Sony have backed down in the argument over the use of Manchester Cathedral in its best selling game, Resistance Fall Of Man after the church threatened them with legal action for not asking permission to use it. I personally think the whole thing is stupid and Sony shouldnt have had to apologize for making a Cathedral that merely looks like Manchesters and having a gunfight in it. I think the church were petty over the whole thing and it was just a stupid argument from the start.

Read whole thread here:

Sony says sorry - CVG.com

Dark Drakan

Admin
The Phantarch;43596 said:
Bloody religious nutcases, it always happens all of the bloody time!:mad: >_<

I think it was blown way out of proportion and was just a stupid situation that could have been avoided if right measures were taken. However they werent and Sony are playing for it with Bad Publicity from it.

The dark knight

What would you think Phantarch if I used your HOUSE in a war game.And lets say your house was blown to smithereens and covered in gasoline and was set on flames to cover up tracks eh?

And I say Sony shouldnt have apologized.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
It is rather silly. Churches, the White House, the Eifell Tower..all those make appearances in games and according to the game they may be completely destroyed. Game is just a story, these things happen in movies too and quite frequently these days if I may add.

Sony did well in apologizing though. The fanatic religious people are not to be trifled with. They could easily come up with something that would help their side using laws or whatever just to make Sony say sorry.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Tony_Redgrave;43614 said:
Sony did well in apologizing though. The fanatic religious people are not to be trifled with. They could easily come up with something that would help their side using laws or whatever just to make Sony say sorry.

Well the church said in a statement that Sony wouldnt apoligize to begin with until they threatened to sue them.

President Of Sony Europe said:
It is clear to us that the connection between the congregation and the cathedral is a deeply personal and spiritual one. As a result, it is also clear that we have offended some of the congregation by using the cathedral in our science fiction game. It was never our intention to offend anyone in the making of this game, and we would like to apologise unreservedly to them for causing that offence, and to all parts of the community who we might also have offended.

The Church said:
We asked Sony to withdraw the game. They have refused to do this. We asked Sony to make a substantial donation to community groups nominated by the Cathedral. They have refused to do this. We also asked them to sign up to the Sacred Digital Guidelines. They have refused to do this. We fear that the next buildings to be cloned for virtual desecration could be a mosque, synagogue, temple or other churches.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
The demands of the Church are really crazy. I can understand that they would like some funds after they did this whole thing but that went so far. Sony did well.

Dark Drakan

Admin
Tony_Redgrave;43632 said:
The demands of the Church are really crazy. I can understand that they would like some funds after they did this whole thing but that went so far. Sony did well.

Id hope that if the Church had sued them Sony would have won, gaming is losing to many legal battles recently and people find them easy targets to make money out of the companies and it sickens me :dry:

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
About what Drakan said, yes I agree. This very attempt looked like they wanted some money or something from Sony.
And it's still weird, since many more historical buildings than this have been used already..

Dark Drakan

Admin
Tony_Redgrave;43664 said:
About what Drakan said, yes I agree. This very attempt looked like they wanted some money or something from Sony.
And it's still weird, since many more historical buildings than this have been used already..

I think with all the stuff that has been mentioned about game violence and games causing people psychological harm this was just another attempt to jump on the game hating bandwagon. Political correctness gone mad, they need to leave the games industry alone and let it does what it does best and entertain people.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
There are certain conditions that have negative effects on people. That is caused by violence in game for example. Certain let's say illnesses that can be triggered not only by games but also from action movies as well.
But of course people who suffer from this are advised that should play only with breaks(long enough) after an hour as to avoid that sort of condition.

Dark Drakan

Admin
The dark knight;43669 said:
Psychological.....?What do they mean by that?Do they mean make you more violent?

Their argument is that playing violent video games increases your aggression and triggers certain kinds of rage emotions that could harm people with a weak psychological disposition. They base it around the fact that a couple of people with mental issues played games and then went out and hurt someone, so instead of blaming the person (who is responsible for their own actions) they find it easier to just blame the game and say all violent games should be banned. That was a deciding factor on Manhunt 2 being banned and im sure Rockstar will be quite wary about GTA 4 also right now. Its gotten so bad they are even pulling violent game trailers off the net because kids can just fake a birth-date to view them so they shield us all from them instead. At 21 years old i dont like being told what i can and cant buy (they ban things for everyone) and ban trailers completely so no-one can view them at all, legal age or not and i think thats wrong.

Dark Drakan

Admin
The dark knight;43675 said:
I do fake my birth to get them heh heh........I say I am like 22 in those thing.

Its because of that reason they will start to ban all violent trailers from the net and TV and stop them being released entirely. The content will still be in the game but the laws will be made stricter and more caution will be taken when selling to minors and harsher punishments for people who buy games for people who are underage.

It was mentioned in this thread:

ESRB Bans Dark Sector Trailers From Net

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Actually I don't see why not do that. Many children do not have the slightest problem with this. So of course they want to see their game-trailer. But people who know that they have a problem - or their family/friends know it are the ones to see for themselves that they harm their self and other people and should decide to refrain from watching them.
Banning things for everyone is just plain idiocy. After all it is when you ban something that everyone's trying to take a look at it;)

Dark Drakan

Admin
Tony_Redgrave;43680 said:
Actually I don't see why not do that. Many children do not have the slightest problem with this. So of course they want to see their game-trailer. But people who know that they have a problem - or their family/friends know it are the ones to see for themselves that they harm their self and other people and should decide to refrain from watching them.
Banning things for everyone is just plain idiocy. After all it is when you ban something that everyone's trying to take a look at it;)

I agree, banning things outright is just a stupid idea and wrapping everyone in cotton wool is just crazy. Its as if they think all gamers are the same and we all have the same mindsets and issues. Some kids are mature and can handle the stuff, some kids cant. Banning something is just a good way to get publicity for it and spark peoples curiosity. Manhunt 2 was about 17th in the hype charts until it got banned, then it jumped straight to the top spot and many people who had no interest now want to acquire a copy of it to see what was so bad.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions and if they are a parent buying a game for their kid they should be thinking about whether it is suitable. If it turns out that the kid cant handle it and hurts someone then it should come back on the parents and the kid and not the game as not everyone who plays that game will have that reaction, its down to the individual and the choices made by the parent and the kid.

Top Bottom