• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Some of my work

berto

I Saw the Devil
I don't know if I've said this but I studied graphic design, animation, compositing, CG and a few other commercial and classic arts in college but hadn't had a whole lot of opportunities to work with them and I've finally got to publish something I've been working on for some time. I got into doing some of that work for a video series we decided to start up. Just thought I'd share the work I've done since we started publishing and I figure we could use the views. Shameless, I know. Apologetically? Hell no.

Actually, I'd already shown @Steve one of these videos but we had to push back publishing because one particularly difficult project, but, it is done and we'll be publishing 2 videos every 2 weeks (we hope). Both videos will be the on the same topic but different languages. That means they're basically going to be the same video but one will be in Spanish and the other in English.

English Ver:

Spanish Ver:

As we mentioned in the description, we don't have a choice in voice actors, this guy is the only one who'd do it for free and spoke both languages. If I had a choice in the matter I'd get someone else. I can't stand this guy's voice. Other than that, I'd appreciate any feedback. Enjoy.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Considering that this is one of the most revered dramas of the last 30 years I wasn't sure this needed a video but I was told about something that happened in a film class that propelled me to. We were eventually going to make one on this film but that thing that happened sort of had me push for it.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
I wish I knew people who knew how to craft a 3D trailer or something. Nice work, man. :)

So, you did Folklore?

EDIT: Story time: I wanted to be a 3D graphics artist, but I got lost in how to do them. I'd been studying 3D graphics before I went to a class that teaches it, and I realized I didn't want to learn everything all over again. So, I gave up on it. Sad, but it had to be done. Shortly therafter, I discovered I did so well in a business class.

berto

I Saw the Devil
So, you did Folklore?
As you can see. First one, it had to be. Took 3 years. Not because it was hard but because I could only do so much on my spare time. Between work, family, and every other responsibility it took some time. Also had to buy the hardware and all the other basics so putting money aside was a thing. It's hard when you still have to work and do family stuff.

Plus, I wanted it to be a bilingual channel so creating double the elements can be pretty time consuming.

I wanted to be a 3D graphics artist, but I got lost in how to do them.
I actually studied animation and wanted to focus on CG animation, but after college I couldn't afford any of the software to do any of the work or buy a computer powerful enough to run it but I did get a job as a compositor for a film company and I was able to do both graphic design work and video editing and compositing. If it ever comes the time when I need to create 3D elements I'm really going to have to brush up on Maya.

Last edited:

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
As you can see. First one, it had to be. Took 3 years. Not because it was hard but because I could only do so much on my spare time. Between work, family, and every other responsibility it took some time. Also had to buy the hardware and all the other basics so putting money aside was a thing. It's hard when you still have to work and do family stuff.

Plus, I wanted it to be a bilingual channel so creating double the elements can be pretty time consuming.
I did not realize you worked on Folklore. Even though the videos are there. I am just asking directly. :) Nice work, man. You now have credits in game industry.
I actually studied animation and wanted to focus on CG animation, but after college I couldn't afford any of the software to do any of the work or buy a computer powerful enough to run it but I did get a job as a compositor for a film company and I was able to do both graphic design work and video editing and compositing. If it ever comes the time when I need to create 3D elements I'm really going to have to brush up on Maya.
I worked on Maya, it's nice, but you'd have to buy a monster PC to actually do homework. So, I had to spend more hours in the actual college to get the homework done. I just lost interest. Which is a bummer. Not a good feeling. Since the 90's, I always wanted to be a game designer. Now, I just want to be the guy financing the project.

At the time, I was thinking, I would love to work on Maya and learn everything there is to know how to do everything, but once you do it, and once you understand that it's an expensive and emotional-level investment, I lost interest.

I even bought a book for Maya. It was so big... You'd need a single backpack to carry it, the book was that thick.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I did not realize you worked on Folklore.
What? You mean the actual game? No, señor. I have credits in the film industry but not the game industry. I was still in school during the PS3 era.

it's an expensive and emotional-level investment, I lost interest.
That's one of the things that make it hard for any art division to stay in it. Glenn Vilppu, an academy award winning artist, often talked about how people learning art for anything, such as animation, always found it difficult to maintain an interest and passion when you had to learn the technical aspects of drawing. The dreariness of the basic learning demands can wear out anyone and drain the passion out of them. While once you used to draw because you loved to now you have taken an education on it you to take so many aspects that you spend more time being technical than doing it for the love of it. That's why it's important to maintain outlets while you learn.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
What? You mean the actual game? No, señor. I have credits in the film industry but not the game industry. I was still in school during the PS3 era.
I was laughing at your response. I don't know why, but I laughed. :)
That's one of the things that make it hard for any art division to stay in it. Glenn Vilppu, an academy award winning artist, often talked about how people learning art for anything, such as animation, always found it difficult to maintain an interest and passion when you had to learn the technical aspects of drawing. The dreariness of the basic learning demands can wear out anyone and drain the passion out of them. While once you used to draw because you loved to now you have taken an education on it you to take so many aspects that you spend more time being technical than doing it for the love of it. That's why it's important to maintain outlets while you learn.
From what I've done, 3D modeling in itself seems more complicated than it looks. You'd need to know how to model it, clip it, and then texturize it. There are a lot of options, but all of it is complicated especially when years before I do this class, I learn everything. Next Generation (it's a magazine here in U.S.) had an issue where there was a glossary of encyclopedia-like definition for everything that has to do with games. It was awesome. I learned most of it. :D

I always thought polygons was the flat texture that make up the surface texture, but instead, it's the main frame of your model, character and whatnot. So, without the polygons, the texture is nothing. Just a flat blob of image. *sigh* At least that's how I understand it. So, then we get into the deeper end of 3D modeling today with embossing textures, I'm forgetting the word for it at the moment.

But I am currently reduced back to writing and drawing (actual drawing).

berto

I Saw the Devil
and then texturize it.
I hated that the most from modeling classes. The software sucked at unraveling models and making the flat polygon map and transferring to photoshop to draw the textures were hell to me. I never got a good looking textured model.

berto

I Saw the Devil
We finished this one well before the PS4 version came out so we captured it on the PS3.

Enjoy.

berto

I Saw the Devil
My kid sister suggested we try to publish something smaller every week since it would help to keep viewership up so I'm giving it a try, though this took longer than a few days, anyway.

Played this last week and thought it would be a good one to start with.

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
My kid sister suggested we try to publish something smaller every week since it would help to keep viewership up so I'm giving it a try, though this took longer than a few days, anyway.
Your sister seems like a smart lady. I don't know how well versed she is in games or whatever, but it seems like she know what she's talking about. Nice. :D

Goldsickle

Not liking this "format" where someone makes a commentary about something and there's a text on screen that says something different.

It's like you can't settle on if you wanna make a commentary video or a text-only video and decided "why not both?".

If it's important information, couldn't the commentator also mention the text information during the video?
You should choose between having a voice commentary or text-on-screen.
If you can't fit every information within a certain time limit, then leave out some.

I hope people are smart enough not to tell me "other people do it too".

Carlos

A powerful demon
Xen-Omni 2020
Not liking this "format" where someone makes a commentary about something and there's a text on screen that says something different.

It's like you can't settle on if you wanna make a commentary video or a text-only video and decided "why not both?".

If it's important information, couldn't the commentator also mention the text information during the video?
You should choose between having a voice commentary or text-on-screen.
If you can't fit every information within a certain time limit, then leave out some.

I hope people are smart enough not to tell me "other people do it too".
This is exactly what @berto was looking for! :smile:

berto

I Saw the Devil
@Goldsickle You are, of course, welcome to dislike. We're not changing it, I'm just saying your opinion is yours to have. We went through a few formats and this is what we settled on. It lets up put information that is relevant without loosing the tempo of the video or making it so long it becomes tedious. I already wish some of them were shorter but I am also proud of the work we've done. Even so, thank you for your feedback.

Last edited:

Steve

Fearfully and wonderfully made
Admin
Thrilled to see you sharing your work, berto. I remember enjoying your Vanquish video review all those months back and would love to see more. I haven't even heard of some of the games/movies you've covered in the videos listed above, so I'll probably give those a viewing next.

Are you able to reveal what sort of material you are working on for the next video(s)?

berto

I Saw the Devil
I haven't even heard of some of the games/movies you've covered in the videos listed above, so I'll probably give those a viewing next.
That's kind of the point of the channel. Me and my friends got into the less popular side of movies when we started binging Japanese movies. We found some outstanding things that never made it into the spotlight for one reason or another but I always felt that these things needed or deserved more attention, deserved better, and so I started this project.

Are you able to reveal what sort of material you are working on for the next video(s)?
I'll PM you on that. I actually have two already finished and started then next one this weekend.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I'm liking what I'm seeing, also interesting to see videos in 2 languages.
Editing seems to be on point overall, though I found that there were a few to many fast cuts in the Vanquish one, but that might be the game itself being super fast paced as well.
You earned a subscriber here^^

Top Bottom