• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So, now that we have had about a year to mull it over. What were the Positives?

So, like or no?

• Yes

Votes: 19 90.5%
  • No

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Kinda

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Dantesanimus

Since we are approaching the year mark with the reboot I thought I'd see if the waters had settled enough and ask for a general opinion on what people did like about DmC: Reboot as well as Vergil's Downfall and what they might like to see more of now that we have all had time to get used to it. It would be nice to get a sample of what is universally liked in the reboot. I am asking this as a person who does actually like a lot of aspects of this game despite being more of a fan of the originals. I'm also new to this forum and am curious since I missed the tidal wave that was the original release for you guys. I do not intend to start any blood shed and this thread will likely get locked if anyone tries. So please, no spamming of hatred. I will also be making a secondary thread regarding what we disliked so if you have a long list of those go over there. AND BE NICE. dammit. Anyway what I liked....

DmC: Reboot
Fluidity of the Melee Combat and Weapon selection.
Level Design. Holy **** did this game have some gorgeous and well made levels! Lilith's Club.
Enemy (non-boss) diversity and how it applied to the changing difficulties.
Camera usage (Just was nice to have a little change there)
Music
Half the story. I liked the way they handled the demonic control over the human race and I also liked the idea of the Nephilim and the war as well as the fact that they gave Mundus a clear reason to despise the twins. I actually thought it would be interesting to see the story in which Dante had discovered that his orphanage was run by demons...as DLC maybe?
I Liked Vergil's new style/appearence.
I thought Dante's personality in this game made sense.
I loved the new Mundus and the addition of Lilith.

Vergil's Downfall was less impressive to me but I did like Vergil rapidly losing his sanity while wandering aimlessly through Limbo and hallucinating all over the place and being OP as **** with his character. (Note: I didn't read the comic because that art style makes my eyes vomit razor blades, so I don't know all the tie ins with it if there are any.)

I'll link the other thread as soon as I make it, unless someone beats me to it. Also let me know if anything needs to be edited here. >.>

And, yeah, I was going to make this thread on the actual anniversary BUT that just happens to be the day I start classes and I will be on the road and getting re-moved in over the next few days. :p

Edit: The "Other Thread" : http://devilmaycry.org/threads/so-now-that-we-have-had-a-year-to-mull-it-over-the-negatives.17625/

Last edited:
The Limbo design and the message that it was trying to send (freedom, and not having an overlord (Vergil) to "protect" you).

That, and you can spin the camera while doing combos... an unprecedented style in any DMC game, thus far.
Not only can you spin it, but jesus, I just started playing MGR, yes its got some cool stuff, but oh my god the camera is sooooooooo bad, sooooooo bad, damn you DmC for spoiling me with your modern design sensibilities and lack of frustrating game design elements....

How the hell can you spin cameras WHILE doing combos?!
I CAN'T DO IT
:p, remember dante is locked on to the final target, so you don't need you keep your hand on the left stick during the combo for the last enemy.

As for general attacks, osiris actually grabs and has wider reach if you spin during double up, so just know that its going to attach all the enemies around you and move your hand over to the right stick and rotate it while doing double up.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
let me,see the positives

the combat
the level design
the music
the enemy type to an extent
vergils combat in vdf

not a huge fan or as much invested in the characters as i was with the originals but there good characters in there own ways and may grow on me yet

lastly i love the aquilas

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
The level design was great, definitely the high point of the game
The gameplay, while vastly inferior, IS fun and pretty stylish, on par with GoW 2
Mundus was awesome, I don't know if it's the actor, the awesome lines, or what

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
The level design was great, definitely the high point of the game
The gameplay, while vastly inferior, IS fun and pretty stylish, on par with GoW 2
Mundus was awesome, I don't know if it's the actor, the awesome lines, or what
Although I wish there were two parts to the Mundus fight, one where the hell gate is still active and the one we have now.
I'd much love to fight human sized Mundus.

mrrandomlulz

Although I wish there were two parts to the Mundus fight, one where the hell gate is still active and the one we have now.
I just wish he didn't go down so easily.
It was the most disappointing death for a villain since Expanded Universe-less Boba Fett

AcidX_Y

I honestly think they rushed that boss fight or didn't want it to overshadow the Vergil fight cause it's immediately after.
There were some pretty cool concept designs for Mundus in demon form where he looked like a pro wrestler.

Winterfrost

Shadow-of-Sundered-Star
I'm not one for giant boss fights, or at least the ones of "Oh I'm going to attack here, so that's where you should attack, k?"
Unless it's SOTC or KH.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
GOODS:
-----------------
Level design
gameplay
better Dante (subjective)
a more serious story (subjective)
coolness
the message
character development
demon boss designs
spinning the camera (LOL)
The flashiness of the game
easier controls

BADS:
------------

Too easy
the glitches
the fanbase was disgraceful (still are to some degree)
the enemy A.I.
Vergil (Didn't like this version of him in the main game)

Dantesanimus

I honestly think they rushed that boss fight or didn't want it to overshadow the Vergil fight cause it's immediately after.
There were some pretty cool concept designs for Mundus in demon form where he looked like a pro wrestler.

Which is funny because it suggests that they thought we didn't see it coming....lol.

mrrandomlulz

Which is funny because it suggests that they thought we didn't see it coming....lol.
To be fair, new fans didn't, or they wouldn't if they didn't release the VD trailer BEFORE most people had played the game
Not only can you spin it, but jesus, I just started playing MGR, yes its got some cool stuff, but oh my god the camera is sooooooooo bad, sooooooo bad, damn you DmC for spoiling me with your modern design sensibilities and lack of frustrating game design elements....
Actually, as desperate for a complaint as this sounds, I actually like bad camera's in an action game, since this is a thread to say what we liked about the game, I will post it in this thread's negative counterpart.

And guys, I've been doing some thinking, and I probably should be burned at the stake for saying this.
But, since this IS the thread to post the positives

DmC had better level design than DMC3 due to being a less restrictive area.

I feel like Benedict Arnold

Last edited:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Positives for me were:
-Level design was really creative; also the way the world tried to kill you.
- Characters. Heck, even the villains were interesting in both design and characterisation; especially Mundus. I really like what they did with Mundus. He was a threatening presence all the time and actually had some kind of personality and motivation.
-The bosses looked cool, and that demon baby still creeps me out. Shame about Mundus though. I was expecting something else like a punchup with him in human form, followed by a true form fight that didn't consist of giant thing trashing the city.
-The theme in the game that parallels real world issues.
-Combat was fun for me, but I would have liked the guns to be a bit more useful.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Positives!

DmC: Devil May Cry
- Characters with realistic motivations and backgrounds, makes them seem more relatable or at least understandable
- A narrative that takes some interesting fantasy elements and puts them together with contemporary problems to put a new spin on "demons take over the world" with a heaping helping of doing so through modern means, instead of just by force and fear. Mundus gaining control of the world through human vices while simultaneously seeming like their savior is something not done a whole lot, and I like that.
- Unrestricted movement at all times. The action is fast (could be faster) and it stays that way
- Angel and Demon mode triggers are a fantastic way to change weapons and functions
- Access to so many abilities all at once with a very intuitive control scheme
- Emphasis on aerial combat as much as ground combat
- Trajectory-controllable jump makes platforming and aerial combat more enjoyable
- Level design and the concept of Limbo were a great way to fit hazards into the environment, and create imaginative setpieces using an abstract design
- The They Live-inspired subliminal messages in Limbo, and how Limbo taunts the player. Pretty much the dimensional Limbo being something of its own character
Incidentals
- Dante has one of the greatest animated coats in gaming right now. It actually hangs off his damn shoulders and billows out from there, instead of starting to hang from under the ribs or worse, the waist. Plus it doesn't stick to the back of his legs
- The fledgling Devil Trigger's design of altering his color scheme is a interesting choice, and I like seeing it. Maybe it's the ol' DBZ fan in me :tongue:
- SCYTHE! YAY~

Vergil's Downfall
- The emphasis specifically on Yamato and making it his only weapon
- A Vergil scenario that was his own!

Top Bottom