• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So, now that we have had a year to mull it over. The negatives?

Not like or Like?

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • not like

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Indiferent

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

berto

I Saw the Devil
- I really think that the demon weapons could be more useful in air combat, i mean, you don't have much to do with them. You can JC Eryx's normals attacks and Arbiter launcher ad infinitum or end your combo without jcing the launcher.
Yeah, this one bugs me a lot. The whole concept that the game is meant to allow a great deal of ease in aerial combat and yet the demon weapons have all but no aerial use. This is specially annoying with the gauntlets, why are there no air combos for it, nor a dive kick? It's not like it'd be hard, Bayonetta does it quite well, so it's not like it's impossible.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Yeah, this one bugs me a lot. The whole concept that the game is meant to allow a great deal of ease in aerial combat and yet the demon weapons have all but no aerial use. This is specially annoying with the gauntlets, why are there no air combos for it, nor a dive kick? It's not like it'd be hard, Bayonetta does it quite well, so it's not like it's impossible.

When comes to this, Vergil's aerial combat seems cooler, but i've never had the chance to play the VDF DLC.

EDIT: I'm playing the game right now, another thing i don't seem to understand in the menu navigation, is that i can change the difficult setting to the mission, but i can choose another mission on the fly, i have to go all the way back to the main menu, choose the difficulty (just to have one option to change it with R1 and L1) and then choose the mission i want.

Last edited:
Well, the demon weapons do actually work great for ground juggling and bounces, the aerial flush and showdown knock enemies to the ground but also make them travel back up in different ways. I guess its almost too logical in that regard, but you get used to it. Everything works in a very diametric fashion with the whole heaven and hell thing.

Speaking more on Devil Trigger. I kind of don't like how it sort of "delays" combat in Dante's case. When he uses it, he does a Super Saiyan motion before giving the player back control. Vergil doesn't have that, his just summons the doppelganger.

Hmm, you can actually cancel out his animation if you jump cancel it, the super saiyan motion also has invulnerability frames and allows for an aerial recovery if the player gets hit. Skip to :12 I showcase the DT cancel.

Rolanthas

Lack of a lock on is my biggest complaint. Not because auto targeting was bad, far from, it I found it to be one of the best implementations of the system as far as prioritizing goes. But Dante's movelist suffered innecessantly because of this, I feel.

I don't know what to think about similar combo inputs between weapons. On one hand, it allows for smooth mid combo transitions without the need for cancels. On the other hand, it gets kinda boring to go over the same inputs over and over again regardless of the weapon.

TAUNTS. We need TAUNTS. I mean come on!

And the speed. Not talking about the FPS, I've played it on PC so it was a solid 60 for me. But the combat speed itself felt more sluggish than I'd have liked. %20 turbo mod should've been the default speed for attacks. Rainstorm especially looks like the animation is playing at half the speed.

But yeah, aside from these, I really can't think of anything substantial.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
it is easy to stop the animation for dt just jump or attack or shoot just as you press the buttons to dt and it knocks him out of the animation i do it myself all the time when i play also combine showdown with eryx and rake with osiris and you will see an effective and fun jc involving a demon weapon

Last edited:

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
Hmm, you can actually cancel out his animation if you jump cancel it, the super saiyan motion also has invulnerability frames and allows for an aerial recovery if the player gets hit. Skip to :12 I showcase the DT cancel.
it is easy to stop the animation for dt just jump or attack or shoot just as you press the buttons to dt and it knocks him out of the animation i do it myself all the time when i play also combine showdown with eryx and rake with osiris and you will see an effective and fun jc involving a demon weapon
Like I said, I don't have the game and I only played the demo. I didn't experiment with the demo aside from seeing how JCing was like, which is kind of easier since there's more room to begin it, but is a bit more rhythmically slow. In DMC4, I mashed the jump button during the Agnus's window boss fight while using Nero's aerial combos.

Speaking about DT, Nero's DT was sort of like that, when you used it without moving, I think - it's been a while -, Nero will always do that fist pump-raise-his-hand-destructo-disk animation. It also had an explosion and lots of I-frames from what I remember. I usually use it as a pseudo-Royal Guard when I'm in a tight situation. I think you can do that with Dante too, but since he has no animation, it would require stricter timing.

Anyway, on the Demon weapons having little air combos. Let's see, from what I remember, Osiris and Aquilla were faster in the air than on the ground; Osiris's ground combos are sluggish but not as sluggish as the Arbiter's. The Arbiter was overall, slow, but they could have made it so that in the air it was a slow weapon with lots of horizontal range. Dante could have a combo where he swung it from side to side, covering 180 degrees around him, and end with a wind-up spin covering 360 degrees around him - sort of like Osiris's Double Up spin but much slower and with more impact. The pause combo could just have the end attack having Dante drive the head of the Arbiter to the ground with maybe some area of effect upon landing; it's taking the enemies down to where it's specialty is: ground combat. Angel weapons do the opposite, where it's pause combos keep enemies in the air, where their specialty is at. Instead of Drop being a no-JCing move, they could of had the animation be Dante spinning like Samus's Screw Attack, that can JC, but it deals little damage with multiple hits, while the drop itself it where the power is at. As for Aerial Flush, it could be a hold-down move. Eryx could have the same thing, a couple of punches for the normal air combo while the pause combo ends with Showdown. Stomp could be a hold-down move while the special attack could be Beowulf's The Hammer.

AcidX_Y

Anyway, on the Demon weapons having little air combos. Let's see, from what I remember, Osiris and Aquilla were faster in the air than on the ground; Osiris's ground combos are sluggish but not as sluggish as the Arbiter's. The Arbiter was overall, slow, but they could have made it so that in the air it was a slow weapon with lots of horizontal range. Dante could have a combo where he swung it from side to side, covering 180 degrees around him, and end with a wind-up spin covering 360 degrees around him - sort of like Osiris's Double Up spin but much slower and with more impact. The pause combo could just have the end attack having Dante drive the head of the Arbiter to the ground with maybe some area of effect upon landing; it's taking the enemies down to where it's specialty is: ground combat. Angel weapons do the opposite, where it's pause combos keep enemies in the air, where their specialty is at. Instead of Drop being a no-JCing move, they could of had the animation be Dante spinning like Samus's Screw Attack, that can JC, but it deals little damage with multiple hits, while the drop itself it where the power is at. As for Aerial Flush, it could be a hold-down move. Eryx could have the same thing, a couple of punches for the normal air combo while the pause combo ends with Showdown. Stomp could be a hold-down move while the special attack could be Beowulf's The Hammer.
The moves you suggested have properties too similar to the ones already in the game, as it stands no 2 moves do the same thing, which is what they were aiming for.

Rebellion: It's regular combo attacks on enemy unless they're close together, it's pause combo does the samething but sends them higher into the air and lifts you a bit too. It's secondary attack sends you and the enemy back to the ground.

Osiris: It's combos will hit all the enemies you have in the air because of it's 360 degree range, that's what makes it different. It's secondary attack pulls the enemies back up to you.

Aquila: Has a wide range and is basically pulls all the weaker enemies near towards you in the air with its pause combo. It's secondary attack can be used to close distance or keep enemies in the air.

Arbiter: Primary attack knocks enemies back and to the ground, it's secondary brings you and the enemy to the ground then launches it and the surrounding enemies into the air.

Eryx: Primary attack knocks enemies down then brings them back up while keeping you in the air. It's secondary brings you to the ground and attacks multiple enemies.

The Final Offer

Yeah...I gotta call bullsh!t on that one, too. The Order uses lots of different media to spread their messages, they'd obviously use a service like twitter to quickly announce developments in their cause. Communication via twitter for current events is like...the quintessential application for the service >.>

It's not even pandering, it's a logical thing that would happen in such a circumstance.

--------------------

My negatives?

DmC Devil May Cry
- Firearms could have had more skills
- Style Ranks below S could have decayed to push a sense of urgency a little more
- Would have loved the game to be at PC's 20% Turbo by default
- Devil Trigger should have been more of a power amp and less of an "Oh sh!t" button
- Taunts totally could have been kept in, using scripted ones to retain the tone of various scenes
- Would have liked a greater spectacle between Dante and Mundus
Incidentals
- There were a few things that I would have loved expansion on just for a more complete narrative
- Eryx could have look a bit more like gauntlets, but I still love the accompanying phantom fists
- Angel Dodge being a double-tap (although being able to go back and forth makes up for it)
- Better slicing and clashing sounds on some of the weapons
- I sorta wish Rebellion had a cross guard
- They chose a DMC3 Dante DLC skin instead of a DMC1 Dante DLC skin :C
- Vergil doesn't look all that injured in the end compared to the beginning of his DLC scenario

Vergil's Downfall
- Falling off suuuuuuuuuuuucks >.<
Incidentals
- Vergil looks waaaay more injured in the beginning than he did in the end of the main game
- No "clean", uninjured Vergil look as a costume, or Masked Vergil costume

Nail on the head.

I would absolutely love for situation types of taunts. I can only imagine what his DT taunt will be.

That Mundus fight played out to their skill levels. I'm not saying I liked the way it did, I just get why it did. If there's a DmC 2, I'm certain their skill levels would've tripled that in DmC and it'll show in the gameplay/cutscenes. I remember Alex or Tameem mentioning how they want the player to be able to do what's shown in the cutscenes. I used to hate seeing cooler things being done in cutscenes rather than in my own hands.

There's concept art of Rebellion in it's unlocked form. We can't forget that it's going to look much more BA when Dante uses his demonic form.

The Final Offer

You mean this one?
Concept_Art

It's a dead link.
Weapons_CA_12_DmC.png

Weapons_CA_14_DmC.png

Weapons_CA_13_DmC.png

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I remember Alex or Tameem mentioning how they want the player to be able to do what's shown in the cutscenes. I used to hate seeing cooler things being done in cutscenes rather than in my own hands.

This was huge to me. I love the spectacle fighting of DMC games, and I enjoyed the awesome stuff they'd show in cutscenes, but I really hate it when they show something that I can't do, because it causes a disconnect.

The moment I came to realize I HATE it was in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, where I had to get down to the floor of a room from the third level, and I kept dying from falls because I couldn't find the correct way down. Immediately upon getting to the ground floor and leaving the room, a cutscene starts where the Prince literally hangs from a ledge and then slides down the wall a bit before dropping, in order to kill his inertia. I was just so angry, sitting there going "WHY CAN'T I DO THAT?! IT'S JUST A REVERSE WALL RUN!"

There's concept art of Rebellion in it's unlocked form. We can't forget that it's going to look much more BA when Dante uses his demonic form.

I know of this having been the most recent concept of Rebellion's changes, and I do wish it was in the game.

r67q.jpg

Sunaka Marién

Hmm, ok let's see...:
- The Mundus boss battle. It was just a let down, both difficultiy wise, and design wise.
- The overall difficulty felt a little too easy.
- Glitches. I mean, I'm not horribly bothered by them, but they do kinda destroy the atmosphere.
- Kat. I just don't like her. And especially the fact that she's been kidnapped and we had to save her. I do understand that it was important for the story and Mundus's defeat, but it bugs me regardless.
- Color coded enemies. Especially since Demon weapons don't have that much combo potential when you're in the air, which can get quite annoying.
- No official shirtless costume :ß
- The art style of those comic cutscenes in Vergil's Downfall.
- Vergil having no double-jump.
- Unreleased tracks.
- It felt so shooooooooort (;_;)

I know of this having been the most recent concept of Rebellion's changes, and I do wish it was in the game.
I think that's not a concept sketch for the real Rebellion, but for that piece of jewelery they made in collaboration with Bizarre based on Rebellion and the duality of Dante's powers (unless I'm horribly mistaken on this one; in that case, just ignore me, please ._. ): http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_detail.html?KEY=NEOGDS-78296

Last edited:

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I think that's not a concept sketch for the real Rebellion, but for that piece of jewelery they made in collaboration with Bizarre based on Rebellion and the duality of Dante's powers (unless I'm horribly mistaken on this one; in that case, just ignore me, please ._. ): http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods_detail.html?KEY=NEOGDS-78296

Ooooooooooh, that makes more sense. Oh well, I would have really liked that to have been an upgraded form of the Rebellion, much like how the original's skull opened its mouth and the bones spread out. Man...I love the classic Rebellion.

The Final Offer

Hmm, ok let's see...:
- The Mundus boss battle. It was just a let down, both difficultiy wise, and design wise.
- The overall difficulty felt a little too easy.
- Glitches. I mean, I'm not horribly bother by them, but they do kinda destroy the atmosphere.
- Kat. I just don't like her. And especially the fact that she's been kidnapped and we had to save her. I do understand that it was important for the story and Mundus's defeat, but it bugs me regardless.
- Color coded enemies. Especially since Demon weapons don't have that much combo potential when you're in the air, which can get quite annoying.
- No official shirtless costume :ß
- The art style of those comic cutscenes in Vergil's Downfall.
- Vergil having no double-jump.
- Unreleased tracks.
- It felt so shooooooooort (;_;)

It's the concept art of Rebellion. No doubt. When you look under concept art and the category those pictures are under is weapons.

EDIT: Wait the concept pictures I posted were of Rebellion. Those posted by Two I can't confirm if they are pendant form or Rebellion's final.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I actually prefer the new Rebellion over the old one. To me, it's a better fusion of form (spiral design) and functionality (longer handle). The old one would have been almost impossible to wield (had it been real, of course -- I'm not talking about 'cosplay' swords here).

AcidX_Y

I actually prefer the new Rebellion over the old one. To me, it's a better fusion of form (spiral design) and functionality (longer handle). The old one would have been almost impossible to wield (had it been real, of course -- I'm not talking about 'cosplay' swords here).
Me too, thought the new one was more aesthetically pleasing.

Top Bottom