• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

"Save the Dolphins, Save the World."

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
"Save the Dolphins, Save the World."

If you know what that phrase means then you will already know that sweet Heroes actress Hayden Panettiere went out on a limb (and nearly lost a limb) to try to save a bunch of dolphins from being slaughtered by Japanese fishermen.

While I personally feel sorry for the dolphins, I also feel sorry for cows and other animals that get slaughtered for food. I've never heard of people protesting about the slaughter of cows or pigs. Acceptable to slaughter a cow but not a dolphin - what could the reason be?
I guess some of the reasons given could be "because not many people eat dolphins" or "dolphins are more clever" or "I prefer leather than PVC."

My cousin has personally seen a cow slaughtered back on the Isle of Wight. She said that the cow was crying but quiet as if it knew that it was going to get the chop. She was very young at the time and then became a vegetarian after.

Some humans put more value on a dolphin but some humans place that value on a cow which is a sacred animal in India.
What is your view on all of this?
Please keep discussion free of racism and don't attack anybody ^^;

Keaton

Premium
What a discussion to start.

I don't feel that dolphins should be killed at all, the numbers are too low to be concidered a sensible source of meat and they are cute :D

But, as for cows and other popular animals used by humans as food, well...its hard to comment. I'm not a vegetarian, but at the same time I won't buy/eat anything that hasn't had a life...if that makes sense.

Beef is one of the most common meats here in the UK and one of the easiest to encourage/produce, if it was removed from our food chain other animals would suffer even more due to the amount of food needed to keep lots of people fed.

While I am not for slaughtering any creature, it is one of those things that although it is tragic and horrible, it is needed to keep the balance...as said, if we didn't eat beef then the chicken would become extinct, or it would atleast be restricted and become battery instead.

Nice (if thats the right word) topic, just a shame that everything is so delacatly balanced that a single change may crucify another species. Although I am AGAINST the dolphin killing.

(off/ontopic: several men were thrown from their boat the other day and killed, via drowing methinks, however before they were thrown overboard they were clubbing seals.....karma no?)

pinky750

Sir Fretalot
Keaton;81409 said:
While I am not for slaughtering any creature, it is one of those things that although it is tragic and horrible, it is needed to keep the balance

quite right

i personally couldn't slaughter an animal but you know, how else can we get our meat? (without it coming from a rotting corpse that is:sick:)

if i'm going to be straight with everyone, i just don't understand vegetarians. sure, killing animals is horrible and everything, but it's just the way of life. we need meat as part of our diet (with all the protein and what-not)

and do you not like cats? or foxes? or owls? because they kill animals for the meat. it's just natural to for animals to kill other animals. survival of the fittest man, survival of the fittest!

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
I like meat - I'll eat pretty much any meat going, to be fair. On a more global/cultural scale, I think it would be slightly unfair to make a sweeping statement about animal rights and all that jazz as what we would consider mindless slaughter could well be part of life for another culture and animal societies do evolve accordingly to adapt and co-exist with such living conditions.

I do disagree with the killing/torturing of animals for decoration, fun, sport and cosmetic testing - but I wholeheartedly support it for necessity, either by food or income to those who have no other way of life available to them. Sorry guys, but as far as I'm concerned it's people first and then animals - not the other way around.

When it comes to the fishing industry, not everyone has the means to fish "dolphin/whale/shark/rare whatever" friendly. They fish how they can in order to fund their industry and in turn their own livelihoods. All too often, the more "precious" animals they catch by mistake are too sick or tangled to be simply set free - or there could be too many of these creatures feeding on the very fish these people need to catch. I'm not really saying there is a definite wrong and a right, just a different viewpoint.

For the record, I used to be all animal rights but had my mind firmly changed and will never go back.

Keaton

Premium
^I think you summed it all up in one sentence

Angel said:
I'm not really saying there is a definite wrong and a right, just a different viewpoint.

If you look at it from a Fisherman, Butcher, Farmer, general food-eater...its all different depending on where you look from :)

Vauxchen

The devoted
Premium
i think you all have really good points, im glad that you can have a good discussion =]

Top Bottom