• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Roleplaying Rules, Regulations and Terminology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Seeing as roleplaying has becoming a bigger thing than we ever really expected here, (Not that I'm complaining, mind you.) I figure it's about time that we get some basic ground rules and regulations set up for those that want to get involved in other people's RPs, or want to start one of their own, as well as some basic terminology for those who are a little confused about acronyms that they see.

So here are the current rules as they stand.

1: No god modding/Power playing.
This is perhaps the most important rule to be considered, god modding refers to the practice of creating an insanely overpowered character who cannot be touched or harmed by anything, it is often seen as a very rude thing to do. Avoid it as it ruins the fun for others and will not be tolerated.

Power-playing is when someone RPs as another person's character to give the themselves an unfair advantage. Example: someone says "I win because -insert character name here- ran off a cliff!"

Again, just as bad as god modding, don't do it, it won't be tolerated.

2: Refrain from auto-hitting.
Automatically hitting, if you're in combat with someone in a roleplay and that person always attacks you and never allows you to defend, they are seen as auto-hitting. Much like God Modding, this practice is frowned upon, considered rude and will not be tolerated.

3: Respect the RP/GM.

Respect is of importance here, if you want to join an RP, you should respect the people who have taken their own time out to set it up, as it is for your entertainment, as well as theirs. As a result, you should also respect the roleplay itself, if it isn't for you, then kindly leave and find another roleplay that is more suited to your tastes.

4: The GM/Thread Owner/Referee has the final call.

If an out of character argument breaks out during the course of a roleplay, then the GM/thread owner/referee always has the final say, you should respect this decision and simply move on.

5: Don't abuse your power.

Whilst GMs and the thread owner hold the most power over what goes on in the thread, do not abuse your power. Be fair to the people in your roleplay and they will be fair to you.

6: Do your best with spelling and grammar.

Try your best with your spelling, grammar and punctuation, roleplays and posts within them can become quite difficult to read and understand if your grammar isn't fluent. Misused grammar, capitalisation and spelling can also be extremely flow/immersion breaking for the people involved, so please, do try your hardest.

That's it for the rules, if there's anything I've missed or that you feel should be added, let me know.

Angelo Credo

Kept you waiting, huh?
Terminology.

Whilst roleplaying, you may see some terms that confuse you, you may ask yourself; "What do these things mean?"
Well, here's a list and guide to some of the commonly used phrases that occur in roleplays, if I miss any out, let me know.

RP: Roleplay, the shorthand of roleplay.

OOC: Out of character. This is used to refer to times when roleplayers speak as themselves in a thread, rather than their character, if you wish to ask a person a question as yourself, please use this feature, but don't overuse it.

IC: In character. Pretty much the opposite of "Out of character."

God-modding: When a player plays a character that is insanely overpowered, usually immortal, or unable to be hit or harmed by any attacks, this is frowned upon, don't do it. Just don't, there's nothing worse than a god modder.

Auto-hitting: Refers to someone roleplaying a combat scene that never gives the person they're in combat with a chance to defend themselves, just as bad as god modding really. Don't do it.

Bio: Biography. Refers to an in depth backstory of your character, abilities, weapons and so on. These often come up in the set-up threads for roleplays, not every roleplay needs one, though some may ask for one as a requirement to join.

GM/DM: "Game Master/Dungeon Master". These terms were coined in the days of Tabletop Roleplaying like Dungeons & Dragons. They generally refer to the person(s) running the RP and controlling events. Often they are allowed to do things normal players aren't to progress the story (if there is one).

Power-playing: RP'ing as another person's character to give the power-player an unfair advantage. Example: someone says "I win because -insert character name here- ran off a cliff!" (Thanks Dreadnought.)

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
There's truly nothing worse than a god-modder... Other than a power-player.

Power-playing: RP'ing as another person's character to give the power-player an unfair advantage. Example: someone says "I win because -insert character name here- ran off a cliff!"

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
I think that scene jumping should be here too cause if the rp has a main oc that everything flows around him the rest of the oc shoul be in the same place as him.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
:O I thought it was just common decency to allow the other player to defend themselves. I was waiting for Xevnas to give Vergil a chance to deflect those blows so I didn't say anything, but he kept on kicking my ass. In canon - WTF? A lizard kid kicking VERGIL around? No ways! NO WAYS! Nobody can get him down, 'cept for Dante (and Mundus)

Shame on you DT. You auto-hitter! *copied* Rant over.

...Vergil slices Xevnas into a spaghetti and walks away as the scales wash down the sewer grate into hell...

Okay. I'm happy now. :p

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Hey, you had Vergil defend the attacks AND manage to counter-attack so what's the big problem? IMO Vergil probably should have underestimated Xevnas.

And who cares, anyway? That was like, last year, back when I didn't know crap about role-playing. :p

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Bull! That was like two weeks ago. LOL I think your perception of time is slowed down to lizard time. It's not winter there is it? I think you must be hibernating.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Two weeks...? Really? It feels much longer than that. Bull my ass. :p

And winter is just starting to lift up here. It SHOULD be spring now, but we just got hit by another snowstorm. Thanks a WHOLE FRAKKING TON, Wisconsin weather... :mad:

Lethandris

Ok, those rules sound reasonable
I really dislike it aswell when somebody makes their character to strong..
Seems really unrealistic and boring.

But i can´t find the roleplaying forum
Can you help me?
( sorry i´m new here^^; )

Meg

Sure thing,I've got an OC I've been using on Fanfiction
The person you quoted not only posted that 4 years ago, but they'v also been banned.

Please take note of when things are posted in the future so to avoid reviving dead topics. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom