• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 20th Anniversary

berto

I Saw the Devil
Happy Resident Evil 20th Anniversary!

20 years ago today with the debut of the first Resident Evil game, the doors to the infamous mansion first opened and ushered in fans to a whole new world of survival horror. Dark hallways and ominous corners led to thrills and chills that would leave a lasting imprint on everyone who dared to see what was behind each new door. Who could forget the creepy turn of the first zombie’s head as it looked up from its feast, the startling surprise of a Cerberus zombie dog crashing through the window of an eerie hallway, the almost Jill Sandwich, or the miracles of typewriter tape and potted herbs?

Since the birth of the series on March 22, 1996, Resident Evil has gone on to become one of the most iconic and successful gaming franchises of all time. With game sales topping 66 million copies worldwide and its expansion into successful Hollywood feature films, merchandise, attractions and events across the globe, the series continues to infect the hearts of survival horror fans everywhere.

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series, Capcom will be releasing a series of developer interviews featuring commentary from some of the team members who have played a vital role in developing the brand into what it is today. Hear from the team as they go back through the mansion doors to look at how the survival horror phenomenon began and its epic rise over the years.

The anniversary celebrations will continue over the next year and the team is already hard at work to deliver some amazing new surprises. Stay tuned to our channels throughout the year for more news on what the team has in store.

Capcom would also like to take this opportunity to thank our media partners, gamers and the fans that have shown their passion and support for the Resident Evil titles over the last 20 years. There’s no doubt that the continued success of the series is all because of you.

Thanks, Capcom PR and the Resident Evil team

berto

I Saw the Devil
New Resident Evil CGI movie titled Resident Evil: Vendetta
z1n9CKgb

Marza Animation Planet Names the Next Rseident Evil CGI Movie

Marza Animation Planet today announced the title of its work-in-progress CGI feature movie based on Japanese game developer Capcom’s internationally renowned videogame franchise Rrsident Evil. The official title for the latest CGI movie franchise, which is set to release in 2017, is Resident Evil: Vendetta.

It was also announced today at Tokyo Motorcycle Show that the movie and Italian motorcycle manufacture Ducati’s Japan office (famous and popular for its high-performance and stylish design) is now in collaboration by featuring Resident Evil franchise character, Leon S. Kennedy riding the Ducati’s newest series XDiavel in the action-packed scenes and at the climax of the movie.

Title: "Resident Evil: Vendetta"
Executive Producer: Takashi Shimizu
Director: Takanori Tsujimoto
Writer: Makoto Fukami
Music: Kenji Kawai
Executive Supervisor: Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Capcom)
Production Co:Marza Animation Plane

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
geez i will be slightly always older than mine favourite videogames franchises :D, beside i remember playing on release day of RE 1 on brother PSX but that game ended me having grounded but only beacuse i been at that time 5-6 years old and playing game that not been for mine age.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Sorry, this one's in Spanish only. Its just about the ups and downs of the RE franchise.

Goldsickle

I think Mikami took it with him.
Mikami himself never had one and when Hideki Kamiya is directing RE2, he just lets him do whatever he wants (but with some horror movie selection as guidelines).

The only games Mikami directed was RE1, the remake and RE4.
Everything else is up to whatever the staff wanted, which is why we see various features in one game but not the other, like ammo-making in RE3 and dual-wielding in Code: VERONICA.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Mikami himself never had one and when Hideki Kamiya is directing RE2, he just lets him do whatever he wants (but with some horror movie selection as guidelines).

The only games Mikami directed was RE1, the remake and RE4.
Everything else is up to whatever the staff wanted, which is why we see various features in one game but not the other, like ammo-making in RE3 and dual-wielding in Code: VERONICA.
Mikami was the producer for RE2, Kamiya himself has said how much he hates horror, he's an action driven person. He was also the producer for Nemisis and Veronica and the executive advisor for Zero and Gaiden. That means that he had his hands directly on the key games in the series and it's obvious when you look at the games and how they've changed after he left, which is evident in RE5. RE games have not been the same since he left.

Goldsickle

That means that he had his hands directly
Except that he didn't.

He said in an interview about how he "let Kamiya do what ever he wants" and watched over the development from far away.
Resident Evil has been independent from Mikami since the second game.

Maybe you want to argue, "that might not be the case with other games" but it's Mikami's personal belief that producers should not be involved and to give other developers (particularly newbies or younger ones) opportunities to direct and create games.

As a producer or advisor, he normally stays out of the way.

it's obvious when you look at the games and how they've changed after he left, which is evident in RE5.
Not only RE5 has similar gameplay mechanics with RE4, Mikami had been wanting to implement co-op in the series since day one.
The very first RE would have co-op, if it wasn't for him not being satisfied with the PlayStation's Link cable feature.

And even if you call him back to work in Capcom, you'd think it'd be any different, after seeing The Evil Within, where the controls are close to RE6?
Just like how Hideki Kamiya played DMC4 to get ideas for Bayonetta, I'm not surprised if Mikami looked at RE5 & RE6 for ideas on making The Evil Within.

Last edited:

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
RE6 has close controls with TEW? Somebody really clueless. RE6 is probably low point of franchise, but than I again I trust capcom with making even worse garbage than RE6

Goldsickle

RE6 has close controls with TEW? Somebody really clueless.
Somebody didn't play both games.

Basically, both RE6 and TEW uses the "modern scheme" where left analog is for movement, right is for camera/aiming and both games have the character face where the analog stick is tilted to (most of the time, characters always strafe around).
You can't even walk and shoot in both RE4 & RE5, which is why TEW is closer to RE6.

The way both games handles it differently, but they both have a melee button and stealth attacks.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Somebody didn't play both games.

Basically, both RE6 and TEW uses the "modern scheme" where left analog is for movement, right is for camera/aiming and both games have the character face where the analog stick is tilted to (most of the time, characters always strafe around).
You can't even walk and shoot in both RE4 & RE5, which is why TEW is closer to RE6.

The way both games handles it differently, but they both have a melee button and stealth attacks.
So lack of tank control makes it same? LOL Seriously? Yeah than pretty much ANY TPS plays like RE6 xD
Also the only time stealth is relevant in RE6 is Ada's campaign and even than it laughable excuse. Also technically melee was always part of RE games. Its called knife. Just because it got dedicated button doesnt make it anything new.
And "Mikami wanted coop". Well somehow I didn't notice it in TEW. Maybe since you apparently played it while I'm not, you noticed it somewhere. Because Last time i played it through it was nowhere to be seen.
In the end TEW can't be farther from RE6 than it does. It features lots of elements from RE4, going beyond it, while actively using stealth, traps and surrounding to dispatch enemies, while RE6 and most of RE5 is straightforward Run & Gun a la Gears of War minus cover shooting …oh wait RE6 actually had some of that.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Except that he didn't.

He said in an interview about how he "let Kamiya do what ever he wants" and watched over the development from far away.
Fine, that's one. One of the many. Even if not he was directly making the most significant games of the franchise, unless you think 1, 4, the remake, Gaiden and Zero don't matter.

Resident Evil has been independent from Mikami since the second game.
Seriously? Are you also going to tell me that as Director and advisor he let's people do what what they want?

Maybe you want to argue, "that might not be the case with other games" but it's Mikami's personal belief that producers should not be involved and to give other developers (particularly newbies or younger ones) opportunities to direct and create games.
No, I'm going to argue how most of the games he's involved in have a damn near same layout of events so it's not as though he has no involvement. RE1, 2, 4, Dino Crisis, TEW and DMC1 follow he formula to varying degrees, and the only commonality between all of those games is him.

As a producer or advisor, he normally stays out of the way.
And what exactly do you think an advisor does? Recommend what shoes to wear to the office that day?

Not only RE5 has similar gameplay mechanics with RE4, Mikami had been wanting to implement co-op in the series since day one.
The very first RE would have co-op, if it wasn't for him not being satisfied with the PlayStation's Link cable feature.
But he was never going to implement it because if he was he would've done it with his other games that proceeded RE4. TEW would've had coop if he had such an incline.

And even if you call him back to work in Capcom, you'd think it'd be any different, after seeing The Evil Within, where the controls are close to RE6?
That's why you think they're the same? Because they have the same control set up? Because they're both over the shoulder shooters? That is not the only thing that makes them different otherwise we could say GoW or Dead Space was the same as RE. RE5 plays how it plays because they're copying RE4 but RE5 is not like RE4, and Mikami has made shooters after he left Capcom, like Vanquish, but if you're looking for something a little closer to the subject matter it's called Shadows of the Damned and it came out before RE6.

You're oversimplifying what it is that makes the games different. It's not the gameplay alone that gives a game it's presence or separates it from others of it's like. No one has ever said that RE and SH were the same game and no one has specially said that since they play similarly it makes makes no difference which is which.

Just like how Hideki Kamiya played DMC4 to get ideas for Bayonetta, I'm not surprised if Mikami looked at RE5 & RE6 for ideas on making The Evil Within.
He played half of DMC4 and not to get ideas but to see where the modern action games were currently standing. Bayonetta doesn't play like DMC4 and just because X is jump, square is shoot, and triangle is male doesn't mean that they do. DMC1 had that layout and if anything the layout comes from that game considering where the taunt is located. My point been, just because there are similarities it doesn't make them the same game. They're rooted from the same origin point but Bayonetta is a culmination of it's own mechanics, DMC1, Viewtiful Joe and Okami while DMC4 is DMC1, 3 and it's own implementations. That's no different from those who keep arguing that DMC1 is just a GoW clone

Goldsickle

So lack of tank control makes it same?
Don't start putting words in others' mouths when you have nothing valid to say.
I never mentioned tank controls.

Also the only time stealth is relevant in RE6 is Ada's campaign and even than it laughable excuse. Also technically melee was always part of RE games. Its called knife. Just because it got dedicated button doesnt make it anything new.
Now you're just being nitpicky.

And "Mikami wanted coop". Well somehow I didn't notice it in TEW.
You have reading problems?
I was talking about co-op in Resident Evil, not Evil Within.
One of the early builds of RE1 had co-op but didn't make it, since Mikami was unhappy with the technology at the time.

Seriously? Are you also going to tell me that as Director and advisor he let's people do what what they want?
Yes. I am seriously telling you that.
I even provided interviews as sources.
And I said as a producer, not director.

The real question is do you seriously believe that there is a literal, physical "how to make Resident Evil" manual in existence, when that's not what Kobayashi meant?

No, I'm going to argue how most of the games he's involved in have a damn near same layout of events so it's not as though he has no involvement.
Coincidence.
Influence.
Inspiration.
There are a bunch of possibilities but you choose the one that you personally believe, want to force on others but yet cannot prove.

And what exactly do you think an advisor does?
Advise. Not order around.

You're oversimplifying what it is that makes the games different.
You're looking too much into coincidences.

He played half of DMC4 and not to get ideas
Yes, yes. No need to nitpick.
My point is that if Mikami suddenly admitted playing latter RE games (a little bit or the whole thing) for research in making TEW, I wouldn't be surprised.
I'm not saying it totally happened.

From the interviews and behind-the-scenes info, Mikami gives a lot of freedom to other staff members when he's not the director.
The one time (that I know of) Mikami ever intervened deeply was when he disagreed with Kamiya's idea for RE4 and took three months to talk Kamiya out of it.
And that was only after he told Kamiya that he can do whatever he wants, although it looked like Mikami regretted it for once.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Don't start putting words in others' mouths when you have nothing valid to say.
I never mentioned tank controls..
Don't let me look for your own posts again, when you perfectly capable of doing it yourself: "You can't even walk and shoot in both RE4 & RE5, which is why TEW is closer to RE6." lack of walk and shoot in RE classified as tank control, but since you all that knowledgeable you know it yourself.

Now you're just being nitpicky.
No, just stating obvious difference, which is apparent for anybody who actually played games. By that logic Darksiders and DMC are same because both have gun and sword.

You have reading problems?
I was talking about co-op in Resident Evil, not Evil Within.
One of the early builds of RE1 had co-op but didn't make it, since Mikami was unhappy with the technology at the time.
No, you just grasping at straws, because nothing suggests Mikami ever wanted coop. RE4 didn't had one (despite could have). TEW didn't had one (despite could have). To put it bluntly, Mikami never directed coop game in his life so nothing suggests RE ever had coop under hum.

Goldsickle

lack of walk and shoot in RE classified as tank control,
That's just your own personal misinterpretation.
That's not what tank controls even meant.
Tank controls + walk and shoot is possible as seen in the first Silent Hill and Dino Crisis.

No, just stating obvious difference,
By nitpicking.
You lack any valid points, so you pad your posts with nitpicks.

because nothing suggests Mikami ever wanted coop.
Somebody here didn't do their research on RE's development history.

Co-op was considered in the first game but was cancelled because the PlayStation Link cable function didn't satisfy Mikami at the time.
Co-op in RE was touched upon again during 1999, where Mikami feels that it can only work via network.

Last edited:
Top Bottom